Jet 1 v.3 -vs- RRT-0 -vs- ?

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
Of the Jet-1 v.3 and the RRT-0, which one do you like better, and why? I'm looking for a pocketable thrower with good build quality. If not one of these two, what else compares? I already have an M20 R2, MG PLI SST50 and a Quark Mini cr123. I'd like something that is "different" in terms of size and what it does from those. Thanks for insight in what direction to take in building my collection.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked myself the same question. I finally went with the Jet 1 on sale from Bugoutgear $54 w cpf discount. The CPF motto says "Get both" :broke:
Using a 14500 cell, the Jet 1 does not need an AA tube extender.

If you want to use CR/rCR123r123, the RRT has of fans here.
The RRT-0 with the AA tube IMHO is a more sophisticated and versatile set up.

BarryG

Enlightened
I use my Jet 1 v.3 as my edc and love it. Throws well and can use the 2-way clip to put on my hat for hands-free work.:thumbsup:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I recently made the choice between those two and went for the Jet-i v3. I like the one handed tailcap based mode change operation of the Jet-i, I also like the fact it runs on AA wihtout needing any fancy extra tubes, I like the fact it comes with a clip (although I changed mine to a different sort of clip) and it looked to me to have much less of a dark ring in the beam in beamshoot comparisons I saw against the rrt-0. The biggest factor though, was the fact that I can decide the brightness levels myself through the IBS whereas the RRT-0 would force factory set levels on me.

It fits the pocket very well and on 14500 is a suprisingly good thrower for its size even with the OP reflector I selected.

pobox1475

Enlightened
Raptor 0 too portly. Extender adds even more weight. Clip is poor. Pro I has same output with 14500 and is nice and trim. Sign me up for the Pro I v3.

Squidboy

Newly Enlightened
Get the Jet 1 v.3, runs on 14500 if you want, and runs on AA if you need it too. Three programmable levels and it fits in a Fenix LD10 spare holster. Its also likely to be cheaper than the rrt 0

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Of the Jet-1 v.3 and the RRT-0, which one do you like better, and why?

The RRT-0! Why? Because I have it. :whistle:

I was in the same decision-making dilemma a while back and went with the RRT-0 with the AA extender. The flexibility in cells was ultimately the deciding factor. The RRT-0 can use AA (alkaline & lithium primaries plus rechargeable NiMh), 14500 LiIon rechargeables, CR123 lithium primaries and RCR123/16340 LiIon rechargeables. I find the use of 1.2/1.5V AA quite bright but the boost in output is so nice using 3.0V and 3.6V cells.

I also like the control ring. You can set the level you want before turning on the light and you can set the low setting to "low" or "low-low". The brightness separation between levels is just about perfect for me.

I still plan on picking up the Jet 1 v1.3 though. I just love JetBeams!

Last edited:

deuces

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at SF E1B? TIR makes for some good throw for it's size.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still plan on picking up the Jet 1 v1.3 though. I just love JetBeams!

I got my Jet I for $54 shipped:party: from Bug Out Gear USA
$70 less 20% cpf discount means $54 shipped.lovecpf

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Timely post as I was looking at both of these lights as well... I previously picked up the RRT-1 and, while it was beautifully made, I couldn't find much use for it. I sold that light and decided that I would like to own another JetBeam as I have had, at one point or orther, 4 JetBeams. :naughty: So, between the RRT-0 and Jet I v3.0, I chose the Jet I which I just purchased 2 days ago.

The reasons, as stated by some, are: the clip, 3 programmable modes and ability to use either 14500 or AA without switching tubes. These three clinched it for me. I do like the look of the RRT-0 with the ring selector as well as its ability to fit the AA tube but, in actual use, I decided that I would really have to make a conscious decision to use either R123 or AA as I would not carry a spare tube with me.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide and why.

4D223

Newly Enlightened
Jet 1 v3 all the way to OZ. Love the aa sizing. Love the brightness, love the look,great features. If you guys knew what we paid for cr123 batts down under you would never get a cr123 light. Up to $10.00AUD per batt. I bought from BUGout with 2 AW's to run it. Go jetbeam.:thumbsup:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Can you tell us what clip and how you did the change?
I like my clips on the end of the tailcap so I simply clipped on a clip from an ITP EOS A1. The clip is a little flimsier than the original jetbeam clip being made from thinner metal.

I also like my torch bodies to not be slippery (I have leathery hands) and to not be too cold when I'm outside in the minus 5 sometimes down to minus 10 celsius overnight winter weather we have here so I covered the body and tailcap with grip heatshrink sleeve which also serves the dual role of ensuring the clip cannot easily move or come off since it's a clip-on clip not held down by screws like the nitecore d10 clips I usually use (such as I fitted to my ST BVC Jetbeam).

artec540

Enlightened
Of the Jet-1 v.3 and the RRT-0, which one do you like better, and why? I'm looking for a pocketable thrower with good build quality. If not one of these two, what else compares? I already have an M20 R2, MG PLI SST50 and a Quark Mini cr123. I'd like something that is "different" in terms of size and what it does from those. Thanks for insight in what direction to take in building my collection.

I like the RRT 0 for two reasons. First for the very convenient and instinctive ring mode adjustment and secondly because, without the extension tube and using just the RCR 123, it is just about small enough to carry conveniently in one's trouser pocket.
I suspect that, ultimately, answers to your question are going to be subjective and one's preference will depend, as usual, on one's priorities. Whichever you choose, i hope you enjoy it!

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
Wait till the new RRT-0 comes out in a couple of weeks.

In high school we had a name for girls like you: "tease" (add modifiers as necessary). You have offically delayed my purchase. Should I hope for more? Will I be dissapointed if I wait and the intimated sure thing doesn't materialize, or should I ask one of the neighborhood girls to prom now? Sure, maybe they aren't as "exciting" as what may lie around the corner, but at least I know the cost and likely outcome of my date. (OK, enough!)