Question about Surefire's Warranty

Tiresius

Enlightened
Ok, I thought my U2 was ubber so I decided to give a demo and submerge it under water to impress a fellow flashlight fanatic to show that a $300 light is waterproof. 10 sec after, I picked it up and vola! it still worked.

Here's the problem: water entered through the lens and was trapped in there for a good 2 days. It still worked with the water sitting right over the emitter--so nothing's fried.

Will surefire's warranty cover a 2nd hand owner without proof of reciept? Or will they just ask for the serial number?

PS. It seems impossible to separate the top third of the bezel to gain access and clean out the stains and oil from the emitter. Will post pictures when I get the images transfered to my home computer.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are located in the US, give Surefire a CALL as many people (myself included) have gotten a quicker response by calling rather than

In this case, I would think Surefire would ask you to send in the light for them to look at.

BTW remember to CALL Surefire! :D

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
My wifes L1 is about 2 years old. I emailed them because it would only come on in low mode (this was a few months ago) and they sent me an RA#. Got busy and never sent it in. I did finally email them again and told them I thought the tailcap was bad.

They just asked for my address and sent a new tailcap, no questions asked, no proof of purchase or anything.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I would see if there are some disassembly pics of the U2 here on CPF. (Try these pics for starters?) and try to clean it up myself. One advantage, it sounds like adding extra thread lube/sealant at the suspect joint might make it better than stock with regards to waterproofness. My two lumens,

Last edited:

Reaper

Enlightened
Surefire's C.S. has no rivals as far as i'm concerned. I had a (at least) 15 year old 6P that recently needed a tailcap and lens. Called them up, asked what was wrong and sent out the parts. No sweat, no hassles, no questions. BTW, this 6P was one I bought originally as one of those 6P's that was a rechargeable unit but later I changed to just primary batteries. This unit doesn't even have Surefire name etched on the round body. I have a few newer 6P's but if I lost this original one, I would be sorely depressed.

msap

Newly Enlightened
I've used SF CS several times for bad switches mostly. Anytime I'v called they either send out a new part or you send in the bad light. I've never given them a receipt or proof of purchase. I do register my SF lights when I get them though. Their warranty has always been no questions asked in my experience.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Thank you guys very much^^

I called them up after the first two replies and sure enough, they never asked about my receipt. All they asked was how I got the flashlight the way it was and gave me a RMA number. I've sent it in just this past Monday and arrived there two days later.

Hopefully it comes back the way I requested--lens and internal cleaned and inspected, also for them to test it's waterproof.