Fenix E01 Impressive Runtime

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Updated 2010-06-20: added test using Duracell batteries

so I'm curious to why quite a few of you recommended it and Fenix's claim of long runtime of E01's 11-hour Sun mode and 10-hour Moon mode, and decided to do my own runtime test.
The test start at 12pm Sunday noon, as I'm typing this, the light is still running. Battery in the light >> Panasonic Evolta AAA, expiry year: 2015

(note: pictures are taken with ISO-80, F/2.7, Exp. 1/100)

hour 0+
jQ739R.jpg

hour 3
hTLYd7.jpg

hour 4
IVmmIH.jpg

hour 6
swxrw5.jpg

hour 7.5
WI4kmh.jpg

hour 7.8
i6KF24.jpg

hour 8.5
nFZq83.jpg

hour 9.5
2cggb3.jpg

hour 10.5
EQ9Lmg.jpg

hour 12.5
PpEgvM.jpg

hour 19.5
bBg9OW.jpg

hour 20.5
j1oaLb.jpg

hour 23
DZPvQx.jpg

hour 24
OELdok.jpg

hour 30
PNK903.jpg

hour 30.5
2IbDn1.jpg

hour 33
3YT7oc.jpg

7.5 hours in 'Sun-mode' and the 'moon-mode'... well... i'm impressed... :D

to give you an idea of how dim (or bright) the moon mode is...
mZ8QR2.jpg

on the left is Quark AA² NW running moon-mode, and Fenix E01 is on the right.

Update 2010-06-20
test done with Duracell batteries (both types made in China), first up, Duracell coppertop:
dbKKv7.jpg

animated gif...
Y4wA52.gif

Using Duracell Ultra
mW3wPx.jpg

animated gif...
TICSFS.gif

following links to scout24's test >>> post #53 (30 hours), post #57 (48 hours), post #62 (53.5 hours)

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice test! Now I know why I still have the same "dead" battery in mine for over 6 months now...

I still have a pile of "dead" batteries waiting for their turn in my E01. Maybe I should just get rid of them before I need a container to keep them in :whistle:

ragweed

Enlightened
Great test! The E01 does not get the respect it deserves IMO. I use mine daily & its plenty of light for most tasks.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great test! The E01 does not get the respect it deserves IMO. I use mine daily & its plenty of light for most tasks.

It does you know,plenty of threads on these boards about it,would love to see an updated version of it with say another 5 to 10 lumens but managing to keep those long run times.:)

carrot

Flashaholic
It does you know,plenty of threads on these boards about it,would love to see an updated version of it with say another 5 to 10 lumens but managing to keep those long run times.:)
The E01 already uses the most efficient 5mm LED out there, the Nichia GS. There's nowhere "up" to go right now.

tolkaze

Enlightened
They are the best aaa vampire lights i have used... problem is, it doesn't drain the batteries down fast enough!!! I have a stockpile of dead aaa's

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
They are the best aaa vampire lights i have used... problem is, it doesn't drain the batteries down fast enough!!! I have a stockpile of dead aaa's

The E01 is a great backup pack light for a 3xAAA headlamp. It will fire off on a nearly dead battery plus is UL and seems kinda bomb proof.

nbp

Flashaholic
then lets process back down the ladder with some snow white crees ey?

Or find a stash of DSs somewhere and start plugging those in. Personally I like the beam pattern and the color of the DS that's in my Arc AAA far better than the GS in the E01. I wouldn't say that that emitter evolution was very helpful. :ironic: That being said, the E01 is on my keys and has been serving faithfully for quite some time. In real world use looking for stuff in a trunk or reading a menu, the purple oval is tolerable.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice test.

My first(?) E01 ran at full output going by memory for 9 1/2 hours on an alkaline when measured in the same way you are doing. Very good light and kept running forever in moon mode, although very dimly.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
nice test thanks!!
like i said many times i got lots of e01,and found there are some tints not so blueish.
not saying perfect white,but kind of.
anyway beautiful light.and absolutely bomproof

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that it dropped out of sun mode so soon, may have been the battery. You could try some other brands of batteries to see if you get a longer sun mode.

fishinfool

Enlightened
Now that's why I chose the Fenix E01 as one of my car key lights. It's small, indestructable and just keeps going and going and going......:thumbsup:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
rookiedaddy, did the light or camera angle shift in physical position before some of the photos were taken? It seems to get brighter in some shots, example: HR 12.5 -> 19.5