Where to purchase the biggest Optic (narrow) R2 or XP-G in Mag head?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I been looking around and seem to get stuck at 30mm Optics for R2's or XP-G R5's.

I want to make a Mag with an R2 or XP-G R5 with 8degree or less Optic, but want to look for the biggest Optic to fill up the void in the big C/D Mag heads. Do not want Aspherics!!!:caution:

EDIT: If it fits a K2 its okay too.

Goal:
DD R2 with 55mm Optic sub 8degrees = 50k-80k 1 meter lux :D

Any help please????

Thanks,
Jose

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big,

Ive found very few large optics that would fit a M@G....

Digikey stocks two 50 mm from Dialight, neither fit an XRE

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=350-2019-ND

Fits Lux K2

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=350-2017-ND

Fits Gold Dragon

And then theres this...

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=521-1067-ND

Fits a Lighting Science Group Atlas LE.

The Atlas optic looks cool and would probably fit in a M@G head but no idea if the optic receiver is anywhere close to the size or shape of an XRE emitter.

Edit: Just noticed that the Atlas optic only comes in packs of 50.... at $10 each, keep looking!

Hope you find this of interest.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my...I think I have a winner.

The digikey says it fits Luxeon K2 LED Series only and it might be a good compromise. I have seen AaronM's Surefire L4 OP reflector with K2 TFFC at 230 lumens it puts out well over 13k lux.

If all I can find is for the K2, then thats what it will be instead. I know with a huge brass heatsink in a Mag D size head I can probably run it DD off 3 NiMH C cells. 2A here we come:party:

Lampyris noctiluca

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jose, have you tried a Mag reflector with an xpg? It fills the Mag head nicely ;) and I think it produces a good throwy beam...Might be worth a try!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jose, have you tried a Mag reflector with an xpg? It fills the Mag head nicely ;) and I think it produces a good throwy beam...Might be worth a try!

I have tried reflectors, but after seing what the Surefire TIR optics do to the R2 or the K2's it seems I would get more narrow beam from an optic.

I could use a 2.5in Fivemega Turbo head, but I like the stock size bezels. There is also the 2in Deep fivemega bezel, but again it adds size to the 2C or 2D Mags: which I do not want to do.

I have KD V3 Smooth Reflectors and they make for a throwy beam. I did try this on a Malkoff XP-G drop-in for Mags and it makes for a tiny spot with genourous flood. I want less generous flood:thumbsup:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I oredered the 350-2019-ND from Digikey, but it is no where near 50mm. It is about the size of P60 bezel so 30mm at the most:poof:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jose,

THAT is a total bummer! So much for catalog information.... and I really looked over both DigiKey and Dialight datasheets as part of my own research. I'm totally bummed out, sorry 'bout that....

Update: Just went back to dialight home site, they've updated all the optics for Luxeon, Cree, etc. They now only show 26 or 21 mm optics.... Now I'm totally uncertain if DigiKey or other suppliers have even current product listings... %*(@#$%^&(&@

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guyzz,

I can make one... From real glass.. but it will be expensive !! And takes a few months..
(only because I have other things as well, it takes about 25 hours total to make the TIR optic.)

Check my 'Microblaster' thread..

For the same reasons you have, I'm going to make a 75mm diameter TIR optic for my new LedBlaster torch.. With a really unique type of cooling, 5 times more efficient than copper!
Soon I'm going to test the overdrivabillity of the Cree XR-E R2 and XP-G R5 led's with this new cooling...The 75mm TIR has 95% efficiency !

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
The reflector from the new D led mags (Rebel versions) is deeper than the normal mag reflector and should throw really well. It is longer also though so needs the led to sit further inside the mag tube.

Cheers,
Nova

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra what is the approximate cost of one of these lenses?

Like 400$...At the cheapest... It's quite a lot of work !!. Small TIR optics take about 10 hours to make.. But bigger ones are harder to make, because the tolerances are smaller.

Regards,

Ra.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics of the monster TIR. We demands it.

And RA, that thread always had me wondering how you make something so exact like that. Great work. I need to make/find some TIR lights soon. I have an XPG -> AAA minimag mod in the works, but that slowed down after the Simpsons did it first.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I oredered the 350-2019-ND from Digikey, but it is no where near 50mm. It is about the size of P60 bezel so 30mm at the most:poof:

I bough both of them after seeing the link here, just got them, :poof:,
both lends are about 30mm only, don't know why they listed as 50mm.

As far as large TIR, the new M3LT in 2.5" Turbohead use a large TIR lens,
Waiting for Surefire should sell the Turbohead as parts.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll repost this link, its for a LARGE optic [data says 51 mm] made by Lighting Science Group for the Atlas emitter. No idea what else you could fit to this monster but for your consideration:

Follow up: I've looked on both DigiKey and the Lighting Science site for physical specs on the Atlas emitter. Best guess is the emitter dome is ~ 5mm dia. X 3 mm tall. Not surprisingly, the LS site has 0 data on the optics other than as complete light fixtures.....

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll repost this link, its for a LARGE optic [data says 51 mm] made by Lighting Science Group for the Atlas emitter. No idea what else you could fit to this monster but for your consideration:

Follow up: I've looked on both DigiKey and the Lighting Science site for physical specs on the Atlas emitter. Best guess is the emitter dome is ~ 5mm dia. X 3 mm tall. Not surprisingly, the LS site has 0 data on the optics other than as complete light fixtures.....

I don't know.. Looks like a frosted design.. I think the OP wants tonnes of throw, and that's not going to happen wth a frosted design..

But they do write about a quite narrow beam:

http://lsgc.com/downloads/Assessories_Datasheet_FM-0169_052108.pdf

But the total setup seems to long to fit IMO.. And then there is the efficiency.. 82% tops? That is quite low for a TIR based collimator..

Regards,

Ra.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra,

Thanks for locating that datasheet. I hunted all over the LSGC site looking for that info. I'll agree w/ you that from the pics the narrow optic looks like its a "frost" diffuser. I also noticed that the diagram mentions both a primary and secondary optic... more evidence that it likely would not "throw"....

Latest posts