Is Servisol Super as good as Deoxit ?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
For cleaning contacts , springs etc and for removing oxidation we used to use Servisol at work and it was great ... There is now a Servisol Super in addition to the ordinary Servisol ... Will this Servisol Super give results as good as the Deoxit on torches ? ... It is a lot cheaper than the Deoxit in the UK ... I assume that the chemical composition of these cleaners is basically the same ... Maybe some are more powerful cleaners than others.

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
I've never seen a situation that needed Deoxit. The Deoxit gold is a good "conditioner" but the cleaning version is meant for serious cleaning, like major alkaline leak corrosion of a battery bay. I could be wrong.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
my small can of deoxit has made at least 25 *glitchy* valuable electronic devices work without glitches again, in the last 24 months.

from ipods to flashlights and cameras, even my car battery connections got a squirt.

money well spent imo.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read about the Deoxit and the Deoxit Gold , but is Servisol Super as good as the Deoxit product at a fraction of the price (in the UK) ? ... At work in the Electrical Supply industry , we just used the ordinary Servisol and it was a great product ... I would like to know if the Servisol Super is an improvement on the old ordinary Servisol.

I have sent off for some Servisol Super and will give a report in due course ... It would be nice to know if the chemical make-up of Servisol and Deoxit are similar ... I am assuming that as they both do the same job then the formulae would be very similar.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Servisol Super arrived today ... Only ordered it yesterday on Ebay ... It smells exactly like the stuff we used at work ... Used it on eight torches , so will have to see if it works OK ... Trouble is , the torches were working OK before I re-cleaned and Servisol'd them.

Maybe when my four $1 AA torches and my two $4 123 torches arrive , the Servisol might be needed ... I will use it anyway though.

ragweed

Enlightened
Deoxit did not do anything for an alkaline leak I had. Not going to buy more.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use household vinegar to clean up alkaline battery leaks. Dissolves it on contact. The alkaline shmutz isn't so much corrosion as it is crystalized battery electrolyte. Deoxit isn't meant to clean that up, it's for removing non-conductive oxides and protecting contact surfaces from further degradation. That job it's fantastic at, one of my favorite maintenance products. Never used servisol before, so can't really comment on it.