R.I.P. Jimmy Dean

fishinfool

Enlightened
I love that song! My dad use to play it all the time when I was a kid. Don't you just love songs that tell stories?

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John

I wonder if his tombstone will say, "At the bottom of this mine lies a big, big man...Big John."

R.I.P. Jimmy Dean.

Last edited:

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
R.I.P. Mr. Dean

And may I add, somewhat suprised at the lack of press this man's passing has brought. While far from a current media icon, the man was reasonably adaptive. Perhaps further proof that the world I grew up in is mostly gone. :poof:

vtunderground

Enlightened
A few years back, we took my grandfather out for his birthday to a restaurant in downtown Richmond, VA. My uncle (who's from Texas) spotted a man in a cowboy hat walking out of the restaurant. Thinking he'd found a fellow Texan, my uncle ran over, grabbed the guy by the shoulder, and asked, "Hey buddy, you from Texas?" The man in the cowboy hat turned around, and well, it was Jimmy Dean. Mr. Dean came over and introduced himself, and he & his wife sang "Happy Birthday" to my grandfather. Nice guy... and he makes a good sausage too!

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
I've lived in and around Richmond for most of my life and have heard many stories about people meeting Mr Dean, all said the same thing, he was really nice. He was the genuine article, a country gentleman. A friend of mine was over fixing a boat one afternoon and it was cold in the water. As he got out someone handed him a hot cup of coffee, Mr dean. All this is evidence of a man that had a good heart and loved people. Like the song says, its not what we take with us, its what we leave behind that matters. We will miss you Mr dean.