The lightning bugs!

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
but do you know the reason?

in this crummy economy, many cash strapped local municipalities have cut the bug spray truck to limited runs, or stopped spraying all together.

so you will probably also notice more mosquitoes in addition to the fireflies. :twothumbs

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
but do you know the reason?

in this crummy economy, many cash strapped local municipalities have cut the bug spray truck to limited runs, or stopped spraying all together.

so you will probably also notice more mosquitoes in addition to the fireflies. :twothumbs
Also, most of the bats are dead of white nose syndrome.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss the glowing butts of fire flies, as a child I could go out on a warm June night and fill a jar full in less than 20 minutes.
When I moved to the west coast we had them but in limited number until the fruit fly scare and the auto paint staining spraying of malathion started, haven't seen one since.

The lightning bugs/fire flies are one of the high lights of my trips back to PA.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed a lot more lightning bugs were around than usual. I've even seen a lot of them out during the day. They are everywhere. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I saw my first firefly of the season the other night. Hooray! They always bring back nice memories of warm summer nights in the backyard by the hydragenea bushes, surrounded by those little magical dancing lights.
:cool:

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed more than usual as well this year. Last week I was camping in Indiana and took a walk late at night. I was amazed at the number I saw in the woods. I just stood still and watched. It reminded me of flash cameras going off in the seats at a sporting event.