Two new lights added to my collection

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Checked the post box today and there were two new torches waiting for me!
Nothing like a new torch (or two) to bring a smile to your face :)

Had to tell somebody who can appreciate torches; my wife and kids simply looked at me with that strange glazed look they do whenever I talk about torches.

The first one is the new 800+ MG P-Rocket, and the second one is the iTP A4 EOS.

Two very different torches but both awesome.

First the MG P-Rocket.

Haven't had a chance to play with it outside yet, but all I can say is, if you haven't ordered one yet, do so right now. This torch is awesome, with a capital DAMN!

The build quality is excellent, the anodizing is very well done, threads are extremely smooth, no battery rattle, nice pocketable size; all in all, excellent. Another winner from shiningbeam.com.

The beam profile is perfect. It doesn't suffer the donut hole of the MG PLI, and is slightly brighter than the MG PLI. I'll be checking out the throw a little later tonight when I take it outside.

The other torch, the iTP A4 EOS was a big surprise! When I first opened the box I was a little confused. The box said A4 EOS but the torch itself looked like somebody stuffed up the packaging and put in an AA torch in there!.

Fed it the two CR123A's and sure enough, its the A4 EOS. MAN this thing is small for a 2xCR123A battery torch.

It's a full 4 cm smaller then my Fenix TK10, and it's even shorter than my Surefire E1B Backup! Imagine a Nitecore EX10, add a mere 2 cm onto it and that's it! I thought the Quark 2xCR123A was small, but this thing is shorter again!

I'll test it out for throw and spill tonight and give you more info later.

Very happy with these two torches.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
OK, I've tried both of them outside and down the local Gorge.

The MG is simply awesome! More throw than I really need. Anything more than 40 meters and I break out the RRT-1, the Tiablo A10G or the Dereelight DBS. But for 40 meters or less, then the MG is simply awesome.

It easily lights up everything around you, and the beam is simply flawless. There is no significant heat buildup, even on high. I had it running for almost 1 hour and it was perfect.

OK, now the iTP A4 EOS. Nice light, throws a reasonable beam for 20 meters or so, has a reasonable amount of spill, but if you want to run it on high for anything over 10 minutes, make sure you have some welders gloves to hold it; it gets REALLY HOT. The only other light that gets anywhere hotter than this one is the little nuclear power plant, the Eagletac P10C.

The mode switching on the A4 was a little twitchy, but a little cleaning and lubing when I got home seems to have fixed this.

On medium and low, the A4 is a very nice, VERY small 2xCR123A torch and would absolutely recommend it as an EDC. Just use high sparingly.

shark_za

Enlightened
The A4 is really interesting.

Do you have the A1 to compare?

My A1 started a bit twitchy and seemed to come right after a bit of cleaning and working.
But then compared to the AA and the AAA models its shocking.

I really like the idea of a long running 2xCR123 as a survival type light and this would suit those needs.
If only they could sort out the threads on the 123 sized twistys.
Same goes for 4Sevens QMini.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi shark_za.

I've got the A1 also. I'll have a bit of a play with them tonight and get back to you.

It's strange though, the A1 is quoted at 190 lm for 1.6 hours out of one CR123A, while the A4, on two CR123A's, is quoted at 160 lm for 2 hours. I thought on two CR123A's and less lumens it would have a far greater runtime than the A1.

I might have to do my own runtime test on the two to get the definitive answer.

The A4 still amazes me as to how small it really is.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
OK, here are a few images.

First off is a comparison of the A4 EOS against some other torches. From left to right they are:

Fenix TK10, SureFire LX2, SureFire E1B Backup, A4 EOS, A3 EOS, A2 EOS, A1 EOS and NiteCore EX10. Notice that the 2 x CR123A A4 EOS is a fraction shorter than the 1 x CR123A E1B Backup!

A4Size.jpg

Next, here is my attempt at photographing some beamshots of the A1 EOS (Left) and the A4 EOS (Right).

On Low.
A4Low-1.jpg

On Medium.
A4Medium.jpg

On High.
A4High-1.jpg

I'll try out a runtime test between the two next, thats if they don't melt in the process! Man they get hot fast.

Regards,
bedazzLED.