Feedback on these Fenix lights? L0D L2T TK20

Lurker1999

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully this is in the right forum..

I just ordered some Fenix flashlights have been reading the reviews on CPF about the lights. But I was hoping people could give me some feedback on these lights.

The first was a L0D

It's not clear from the description if this is the Luxeon or the Cree bulb. It's intended to go on my keychain.

The next was a L2T

It's listed as a "v2.0 Cree". Is this the current version that's on the Fenix website? It's intended to be a glovebox light/bicycle headlamp for riding around town.

I also ordered a TK20 for the same reason

If used as a bicycle light the L2T/TK20 will likely be powered using NiMH batteries. If used as a glovebox light I will likely keep some non-rechargable batteries in it as I don't have any slow-discharge NiMH batteries on hand currently.

Should I keep both the L2T and TK20 or should I return one of them when they arrive?

Lurker1999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the move. [post edited]

Moderation:
Posting "good deals" here on CPF proper isn't permitted. There is a forum at CPF Market Place for posting such things.

Last edited by a moderator:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
look at the business end for the led,

Cree XR-E shows a metal ring around the transparent dome covering the emitter plate,
Luxeon has no metal ring, led dome is big
newest led - if already used (which I dont know) - is a Cree XP-G. In that case the whole led is very small

iirc, the L2T is an older model, that was made in Luxeon times,
the L0D is very new, so XR-E, maybe (?) XP-G.
TK20 --> XP-G

shark_za

Enlightened
Hopefully this is in the right forum..

I just ordered some Fenix flashlights have been reading the reviews on CPF about the lights. But I was hoping people could give me some feedback on these lights.

The first was a L0D

It's not clear from the description if this is the Luxeon or the Cree bulb. It's intended to go on my keychain.

The next was a L2T

It's listed as a "v2.0 Cree". Is this the current version that's on the Fenix website? It's intended to be a glovebox light/bicycle headlamp for riding around town.

I also ordered a TK20 for the same reason

If used as a bicycle light the L2T/TK20 will likely be powered using NiMH batteries. If used as a glovebox light I will likely keep some non-rechargable batteries in it as I don't have any slow-discharge NiMH batteries on hand currently.

Should I keep both the L2T and TK20 or should I return one of them when they arrive?

Welcome, you have made a good first choice in lights.

I have two of the lights you mentioned, the TK20 and then a put together L2T made up of the Leatherman branded L1T and a L2D tube.

They both serve different purposes, I would keep them both and get a 1xAA tube to give the option of L1T for carry.

When storing in the car avoid alkalines like the plague. The only real option over Low Self Discharge NiMh cells are Lithium primaries.
The problem is that the L2T will be over driven with 2x L91, the TK20 is fine like this.
Again using the 1xAA tube in L1T format is fine with the Lithiums. You only get around 90 lumens but this is great for most tasks.

Ignore the whine you may hear on high, both mine do this.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L0D, L2D Q5 (very similar to L2T) and TK20, and let me tell you I'm keeping all of them (including my PD30, TK11, TK40, HP10 and incoming TK45 and LD15, just to name what I have from Fenix)

I don't know what lights you had before, but you're likely to want to keep them all. If you return any, I'd say it would be the L2T, but I'm sure that would be in the spirit of getting something more powerful or a little smaller(and probably more recent, since I do believe they stopped production of the L2T a while ago, but I could be wrong...).

Here's a few of the good side of these lights:

the L0D runs for an eternity on the same battery, it's a perfect pocket light so long as you intend to use it in the dark (I most often need flashlights to light under machinery with ambient light, and for that purpose I need something with more punch like an L2D, TK20, etc.)

The L2T IMO is an excellent all-around light for general use. You might want to permanently mount that on your bike... or on your belt. It's plenty bright and puts any off the shelf mini mags to the hall of shame.

The TK20 is built just like a tank, has neutral-colored LED that is better than most LED lights I have for outdoors and the low mode on it isn't that low, even if it will run for 10 hours on the same batteries. If you want something to keep in the car for emergencies and warn oncoming traffic by blinding them... that'll do. If you want to use it on your bike, be aware that some people might think you're an incoming motorcycle.

I, for one, don't expect you to be disappointed.

Lurker1999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback so far and the update on the Cree vs. Luxeon issue. It sounds like I'm likely going to end up keeping the TK20 and the L2T it seems since they were both relatively cheap. Plus that leaves me enough lights to keep my Surefire E2L handy.

The L0D is going to be kept on a keychain for night use mostly. I'll probably use the TK20 for the bicycle and put the L2T in the car since the TK20 is listed as more weather resistant.

Honestly having posted it, I should really just cough up for some low-discharge NiMH AA/AAA batteries considering how many other lights I have that run off AA/AAA. Literally everything I own except the Surefire E2L runs off AA/AAA which is partially why I was drawn to those Fenix lights.

arnoldr

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Hi Lurker, I'm a relative newbie too. The L2T v2 is the 1st 'good' light I purchased a month or so ago. Yes, it's an older generation Fenix which is well built. It's a no-frills light that works, nothing fancy, a 2-mode light. I don'tnotice any Cree rings that are supposedly notorious with the XR-E's. I don't ahve 14500's so I only use Alkalines and NIMH's. It works better with NIMH, eneloops preferred. I'm not sure if you're aware of it but this light has a Tactical switch with momentary on. Very useful for those quick light-ups.
Shark Za has a good suggestion with the L1T body, make sure it will fit the V2 version though. Even better, wait and be on the look-out for bargains/good deals on the Fenix LD10 R4. That's a very good light too.

arnold r.