Bought A2, received toy novelty flash... no wait!

NewsFlash

Enlightened
I can't believe how small the A2 is! I bought one from Catdaddy, it has red LEDS. New style switch also.

Took it apart, was trying to take out the lamp but it wouldn't budge. Looked at the lens end, the lamp falls about 2 feet to the concrete floor, bouncing in behind a desk! Boy, did I need a flashlight then!

Found the lamp, cleaned the glass with alcohol and reinstalled. It worked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am pleased with how white the lamp's beam is, have not had the opportunity to really check out the LEDS yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, this is my first Surefire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewsFlash...You picked a heck of an awesome light to be your first Surefire! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now all you need is the Surefire M6. hehe.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: Bought A2, received toy novelty flash... no wa

[ QUOTE ]
NewsFlash said:
Took it apart, was trying to take out the lamp but it wouldn't budge. Looked at the lens end, the lamp falls about 2 feet to the concrete floor, bouncing in behind a desk! Boy, did I need a flashlight then!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol ... the LED's will still work without the Xenon bulb installed, so you could have used the A2 to find the bulb for the A2. Isn't it clever how Surefire thought of everything.

NewsFlash

Enlightened

FlashlightOCD,

I was wondering why the LED ring had spring-like contacts! I'm guessing that's how the LEDS are able to work without the lamp installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened

I had the lamp fail on me, and it was reassuring to have *some* light coming out of it. I believe (but I'm not willing to break mine to test) that SF's 9n and 9an rechargeables will still light the low-beam if the high-beam fails. It makes sense.

Congrats on a good purchase. Ttran is right: the only other thing Surefire has to offer you is insane brightness. I could get by with my Arc AAA, my A2, and an M3T. Glad I don't have to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

The lowbeam on the 9N and 9AN will work even though the highbeam bulb is broken - and viceversa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Klaus.

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened

Congrats!

You think the A2 is small, wait til you get the L4! Much smaller and a awsome output (there are beamshots comparing the A2 and L4 in the LED forum Or Click Here))

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
FoxMulder said:
Congrats!

You think the A2 is small, wait til you get the L4! Much smaller and a awsome output (there are beamshots comparing the A2 and L4 in the LED forum).

[/ QUOTE ]

Or wait until you get the E1e+KL4! Now THAT'S small! hehe.

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened

ttran97,

YOU FORGOT THE Z57!!!!!!! E1e+KL4+Z57 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

FoxMulder...Well, it's just standard on the new E1e's, and if you got the combo from TW, it would come with the Z57. Kind of redundant to repeat that it comes with that. Sort of like saying "get the A2 and the 2-stage button"...hehe. Thanks for the reminder though! You rock! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif True True, thought I'd mention it for NewsFlash since his A2 was his first SF. TW is THE SureFire king so I wasn't doubting your knowledge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Too bad the A2 dosn't have a clickie option with Incandescent only option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

NewsFlash

Enlightened

FoxMulder,

I have seen those beamshots before. Strange, but my A2 appears about as white as the L4, I guess Sean's camera records the 2 beams drastically different. Actually, those beamshots were 1 reason why I went with the A2, further throw./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Also, I read in another thread about Size 15s' red A2 beam having a somewhat red cast to it, apparently from the LEDS (I believe I am remembering correctly). I have to hunt for the red in my A2's beam, it really is quite white./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

When I can, I hope to get an E2e or an E-series bezel for my Scorpion. I think it's a good idea to have a non-regulated backup to my A2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened

Hi

If you compare the L4 and A2 side by side, the difference is very dramatic. The L4 is ultra white compared the the A2, in fact the A2 downright looks yellow! It's like a flourescent light compared to a regular light bulb, it's that dramatic.

I used to think the A2 was white too, until I got some High output bulbs (P61,P91,MN11, MN21 etc). The HOLA (High Output Lamp Assemblies) are whiter and more intense than the regular bulbs (like the A2).

I think it's just hard to imagine since the A2 absolutely crushes low end lights like a Mag AA (Same size). Keep in mind that the A2 is on the low end of output on the SF incandescent line (Third from the bottom I think)

The A2 does have more throw, that's why I still EDC the A2. But for lighting up things up close, the L4 absolutely rocks with it's white flood light. So what you see in those pictures is actually the difference.