Which Quarks have lockout tailcaps? (LOTC)

doubleE

Newly Enlightened
4Sevens does not advertise their Quark lights as having a lockout feature, but some of them do have this feature and I need it.
Can someone tell me which Quarks are currently shipping with lockout (anodized on the inside) tailcaps?
Last week I bought the following:
Quark AA2 Tactical Cool White - LOTC
Quark AA2 Tactical Warm White - no LOTC :(

1. Is everyone else getting the same results on the Cool and Warm lights? Or is this random?

2. Can anyone tell me if the Neutral Whites are currently shipping with LOTCs?

3. Has anyone seen a Regular tailcap with the LOTC feature? Or does it only appear on the Tactical tailcap?

I'm trying to see if I can predict/guarantee that I'll get a LOTC on my next Quark or Tailcap purchase. I emailed 4Sevens, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

-doubleE

Last edited:

FrankJ

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Quark AA^2 Tactical Warm White and my tail cap does lock out, so I guess I got lucky. I remember reading in another thread where the OP asked about lock out and a number of folks chimed in that it isn't an official feature.

I think 4Sevens doesn't advertise lock out because the anodizing is only on the tail cap threads. If it wears out during the 10 year warrantee period, they would be looking at having to do a lot of repairs for free.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could contact 4sevens about purchasing a tailswitch assembly that has anodizing on the inside. Since they already offer the tailswitch separately, the sales person could simply check and make sure your tailcap will have anodized threads. Of course they can't do this with a new, in the box light because they would have to break the seal, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem with an accessory that's not packaged and sealed. Just an idea.

Quension

Newly Enlightened
For lights which have easily-activated switches, the idea is you can do something to the flashlight to lock out the switch, meaning it can't be activated accidentally. As far as 4sevens Quarks go, some of the tailcaps have anodized threads, so the only electrical contact from the switch to the head happens as the end of the body tube touches the inside ring (end) of the tailcap. Thus, by slightly unscrewing the tailcap, the light can't be turned on.

Most of the tailcaps allow electrical contact through the threads themselves, so unscrewing it slightly has has no effect.

Last edited:

8Fishes

Newly Enlightened
The 18650 body I got can be locked out.
The AA light on the other hand does not have the feature.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 body I got can be locked out.
The AA light on the other hand does not have the feature.

Yes, I have seen anodizing on the threads of the 18650 and Quark Turbo bodies (only at the tailcap end), and although the lockout feature would have less chance of failure with the body threads and the tailcap threads anodized, the body threads being anodized is not required to use the lockout feature, as long as the anodizing is good on the tailcap threads.

Also, it should be noted that I've read discussions on here about those bodies no longer being offered with anodized threads due to contact issues. I don't know personally, but that's what I've read.