At what temperature do you have the white point of your computer's display set?

JCD

Enlightened
I was playing around with the preferences of my laptop's display, and decided to create a manually calibrated profile. After much experimentation, I found that I much prefer a target white point of 5000 K over the native white point of ~6500 K. Switching back and forth between the new profile and the default profile, the default profile seems almost painful to look at.

At what temperature do you have the white point of your computer's display set?

Bobyn

Newly Enlightened
At work both my monitors are set at the stock 6500K then calibrated with a Spyder 3 Pro. I remember the very first time I calibrated them I hated the results, but when I came back the next day I loved them - and now I wouldn't switch back, by choice at least.

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, let's hope this thread doesn't lead to bitter disagreements about the ideal CRI/tint/color temp. of a computer screen. :rolleyes:

JCD

Enlightened
LOL, let's hope this thread doesn't lead to bitter disagreements about the ideal CRI/tint/color temp. of a computer screen. :rolleyes:

Actually, I was hoping that people could experiment with their display settings in order to gain insight into what tint they might like best in other things, including flashlights. It's quite a bit cheaper to adjust the display than to buy a bunch of different lights to compare. My intention wasn't to imply one CCT is better than another, except w/r/t my own personal preference for my own computer.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
At work both my monitors are set at the stock 6500K then calibrated with a Spyder 3 Pro. I remember the very first time I calibrated them I hated the results, but when I came back the next day I loved them - and now I wouldn't switch back, by choice at least.
All the same for me minus the hating it the first time.

Vesper

Enlightened
I've been wanting to try a Spyder. Glad you guys like them - I think I'll pick one up. Would make web and printing work easier.

PhotoWiz

Newly Enlightened
This question depends a lot on what your objective is. If you just want your monitor to look pleasing, playing around with the monitor controls will probably get you where you want to go. If your objective is to have your screen closely match what you will get back from a professional color lab, things get a bit more sticky!

Most monitors can't get the latter right, with or without calibration. A few years back you could get a Sony Trinitron (or rebranded as DELL, Gateway, etc.) And you could calibrate those for precise color work. After those were discontinued a few years back, I picked up a few used ones and they looked perfect. But when I ran a calibrator on them, it was clear that one of the guns was "getting tired" at the bright end of the range. That meant a tint shift that couldn't be corrected properly.

Unfortunately, most consumer LCD screens can't match those old Trinitrons. That's why pro photographers are spending 100s to 1,000s of dollars on high quality monitors. I bought a NEC monitor for about $800 a year or two back and I consider it "adequate." But that is really at the low end. Hopefully when I need a replacement, there will be newer monitors available that are better and perhaps cheaper.

There are tons of info out there about choosing a proper monitor and calibrating it successfully. For most home uses though, doing an eyeball calibration using the monitor controls will probably be satisfactory.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't have a constant white point on my monitor. I use a program called F.lux (for Mac, Windows and Linux) that adjusts the white point throughout the day to match the sun's cycle. At night my white point is around 3500K and during the day it is around 6500k.

When I need to do graphics work I can simply disable it temporarily with a single click.

Latest posts