Sharp's Comeback

Sharp

Enlightened
I have seriously not been around for some time. However it does not mean I have not been active in the flashaholic world.

Today however I think I have had a hiccup, partly caused by the boredom of the afternoon and partly by the casual sight of a Surefire Z3 with a Turbo Assembly which inspired me particularly.

This has created a mod - if you can call it that. It is the results of items lying around the house and a spare afternoon. It shows how a flashaholic can create light from anything! However, I truly believe it is more fitting for the Café rather than any other section of this forum.

So yep, here we go...

Custom Made Torch - Plunxeon Plunge

Preliminary Features:
3W Luxeon with NX05 Optics
1 18650 Lithium cell
Direct Drive at 200mA

IMG_0944-1.jpg

(Left: Plunxeon, Right: Fenix TK30)

As you can see, the torch is solidly built, inspires confidence in its looks, and recalls a familiar shape borne by some other torches in the past.

In terms of performance it makes some light. This light is produced by a 3W Luxeon which is attached by extremely (non) conductive epoxy resin to the rubber plunger bit. If the luxeon made enough heat and did not detach/melt, it would run for about 7 hours. It uses a GTL 18650 which claims to make 2800mAh. This would give it a runtime of 14 hours, but the capacity of these batteries, as it has been found out, is much more limited than that.

4.jpg

The torch is HA-II (Hardly Anodised II), hand engraved, with a smooth parabolic reflector. Other features include an inherently shock-absorbing capability of the torch's head and a tactical switch lifted off an old Fenix L1.

IMG_0941-1.jpg

It has to be said that although the head does not feature a crenelated business end - which would be useful in close combat - it does have the capability of being used to plunge one's face off. Whichever way you use it, it is guaranteed to leave any assailant in stitches - one way or another. The tailcap's design also provides a (rather unstable) candlelight mode.

IMG_0943-1.jpg

If need be, the tailcap has holes for a lanyard. Using the torch as a kubotan is an option, although not tested.
Finally, the shape and form of the torch make it perfectly concealable and will not arise any suspicion if anyone sees you carrying it anywhere near your person, car, toilet, or purse.

Now the downsides or points that need refinement.

Sadly, the torch does not have an anti-roll bezel. The reflector, despite its turbo-like attributes, struggles to focus a beam. The lack of a crenelated bezel also make it difficult to notice it when the torch is switched on when left head-down. Ergonomics also has to be improved, defining it for now as baseline. Finally, waterproof properties are unconfirmed, pending tests.

I intend to find a slot for this torch in my EDC. Once I have tweaked the optics and it is night I may actually consider pictures of the (ghost) beam.

Weird things happen on a free day.

Richard

(Note: In no way am I trying to mock the TK30. In my opinion it is a great torch and it was picked for the comparison since it was the only torch I have at hand that gives a comparison in terms of shape and size.)

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs

You know someone's gonna ask, so I'll do it.

BEAMSHOT!!!! :D

P.S. I don't think this illumination device will help sway anyone that thinks Lux IIIs are crap :whistle:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I hope that you washed the plunger well before operating on it... :barf:

he probably just plunged right in with the project :D
He could probably sell this to some less intelligent plumbers telling them it would help them see what they were doing better.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
LOL, a 'dive light'! :huh:
So many wonderfull and horrifically wrong images floating around in my mind with this post. I can't wait for the Star Halo's image of choice for this post. I'll never look at a plunger the same way again and that's one light that I will not be holding in my mouth!:sick2:

nbp

Flashaholic
Shouldn't this be in the Homemade and Modified section??? :thinking:

LOL!! Welcome back, and awesome mod! :thumbsup:

Sharp

Enlightened
Shouldn't this be in the Homemade and Modified section??? :thinking:

If I did, I doubt I would survive the shame! Once I dremel the inside handle, and lift a Photon controller to give the Plunxeon some modes, I may consider posting in some more flashlighty section.

I finally managed to place the optic, centre it and take a shot. The plunge emitter looks as follows.

IMG_1014.jpg

Black Rose, here you go:

IMG_1019.jpg

To the left, the beam from a Minimag with a BB sandwich, emitting approximately 50 lumens.
To the right, the Plunxeon. An eye approximation would put it around 20-25 lumens.

For a final size comparison, this is the Plunxeon side by side with other similarly shaped torches. Spot the odd one out...

IMG_1008.jpg

From left to right:

Olight Intimidator, Plunxeon, Surefire Z3 with Turbo Head Assembly, Surefire M2.

The torch is waterproof. It does indeed not fall apart in water. I suspect that the wooden handle may at some point behave badly when it absorbs too much water.

Furthermore, the torch has a hidden function. If hit hard enough against any solid surface head first, the Plunxeon will enter 'ballistic' mode. This will ignite the unprotected 18650 and send it into an uncontrolled state. Such test is on hold pending a suitable target and firing range.

Richard

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
For a final size comparison, this is the Plunxeon side by side with other similarly shaped torches. Spot the odd one out...
Ooohh - ooohh - I know - I know!!

Only one of your lineup is made off-shore, the Olight, right? :huh:

Edit: Do I get a prize?? :huh: :huh:

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Great flashlight!

If you ever EDC this in a holster I would like to see a pic of that :laughing:

Master-chip

Newly Enlightened
Nice Pluxeon Sharp! It has a batteri 18650 and a kind of good led. It's the best plunger I ever seen. Welcome back Sharp.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
When are these going into production ?
:p

I think you have too much idle time :grin2:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Mr Sharp has been out in the mid day sun too long!

(For those outside the UK, we're having a little heatwave here right now)

Great mod, but.......what are you going to unblock the drains with now?

andyw513

Enlightened
So, would mass production of these clog the market? If you put these in production and they didn't sell, would your business go down the drain?

Sorry...If I didn't say that at some point I would have just "overflowed"...

P.S. I never really made the connection between those other lights and a plumber's tool before.