Graphit powder as lubricant (?)

Tally-ho

Banned
I knew that graphit conducts heat and electricity and I thought that graphit was added to grease for its thermal and electrical conductivity but I just read that graphit powder is used as a lubricant.

Does anyone already use graphit powder to lub threads of flashlights ?

Last edited:

daf3m

Enlightened
As far as i know good transmission oils contain graphite. Also for less friction graphite is aplied on engine pistons ..It might be good for the threads but for the o-rings:thinking:?

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone already use graphit powder to lub threads of flashlights ?
It surely would work well on the threads but it would be very, very messy. Once you get some on you, it seems to migrate everywhere.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
I use "Lock-Ease" with is graphite in kerosene. The kerosene evaporates leaving the graphite. On flashlights??? Nah. Use a light silicone grease. Graphite is great for locks and it's wonderful for installing spark plugs that you may someday want to remove. Maybe even on hinges. But not flashlights.

As far as "dielectric" grease, ALL grease is "dielectric" or insulating. But on threads there is more than enough metal to metal contact to handle any current we may be interested in in a flashlight.

JMNSHO &, of course, YMMV.

lightplay22

Enlightened
Graphite powder would be the messiest lube I can think of, right up there with that silver colored anti-seize compound. Its lubricity is really good and it works like magic in locks.

When I was a kid I took a tube to school in my pocket and somehow during the day the plastic tube cracked and the mess was horrific.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm not fully senile yet. Here you go:

The use of graphite is limited by its tendency to facilitate pitting corrosion in some stainless steel,[9][10] and to promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (due to its electrical conductivity). It is also corrosive to aluminium in presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminium aircraft,[11] and discouraged its use in aluminium-containing automatic weapons.[12]

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Won't it infiltrate switches, circuit solder points, etc and potentially lead to short circuits?
Very likely. It is conductive and as I said, it gets everywhere.

Tally-ho

Banned
Thank you guys for pointing out the corrosive issue.
Until now I'm very happy with teflon oil, just a small drop on a threads with o-ring give better smoothness than silicone grease that sticks much more.