I know this sounds silly, but.....

Spango

Newly Enlightened
I've been wanting to ask this for a very long time:

How much Lux/Lumens/Candlepower/<whatever you call it> does our sun put out? I wonder if we can build a a reflector and optics package to focus the sun's ray in a certain direction, how far will the throw be, and what will the beam shape be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS: Sorry for being silly....

MicroE

Enlightened
Specifications for The Sun

Output = A Lot O' Power

Standard Reflectors = Moons + Planets

Throw = Infinite (assuming that you can measure an almost infinetely small flux density at an almost infinite distance)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

newg

Newly Enlightened
> How much Lux/Lumens/Candlepower/<whatever you call it> does our sun put out

Five.

> PS: Sorry for being silly....

Me too.

Empath

Flashaholic
2.8 x 10^26 Watts of light energy power equivalent.

I have that information filed away on my computer (just in case the need should arise)

Actually, I can't remember the source, nor can I verify the accuracy. I just picked it up from an "expert" source somewhere.

highlandsun

Enlightened
From here http://usenet.net.nz/nineplanets/sol.html 386 billion billion megawatts are generated. So the next question is, how big a reflector do you want to build - what percentage of this output are you going to capture? What kind of reflector shape - parabolic or elliptical? What are you going to aim it at? What happens if you aim this mega flashlight the wrong direction, and **** off a neighboring alien race?

As already noted, the throw is already practically infinite. The beam shape is conical unless you get perfectly linear collimation. Otherwise the beam dissipates with some linear factor of radius^2.

JJHitt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
2.8 x 10^26 Watts of light energy power equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a quick search and all the sites I could find were using watts as the unit of measure.

But 10^26 of any thing in any unit is a WholeBuncha.

MicroE

Enlightened
We seem to have a slight difference in the data.
Highlandsun says 386 billion billion million Watts (3.9 x 10^26) and Empath gives it as 2.8 x 10^26.
That's a difference of almost 40%.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I tend to prefer optics- (Now I have to find one that wont melt.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Tomas

Banned
I understand that one heck of a gravatic lens will work, Larry ...

disco.gif
disco.gif
disco.gif
disco.gif
disco.gif
disco.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
If you are volunteering to do the work just remember the sun is so hot and powerful you will have to work at night.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MicroE said:
We seem to have a slight difference in the data.
Highlandsun says 386 billion billion million Watts (3.9 x 10^26) and Empath gives it as 2.8 x 10^26.
That's a difference of almost 40%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Highlandsun's data appears to include total energy, while mine is designated "light energy equivalent". It's been so long since I grabbed the data I can't even recall the source. It's certainly not a position I'd seriously attempt to defend.

UK Owl

Enlightened
here is a little experiment for you....

1) get 30 or more people to each use one of those 12 inch by 12 inch mirror tiles to reflect the sunlight on a very sunny day as a spot onto an object, e.g. the alarm bell box on your house.

2) stand in facination as the object melts !

experiment 2

1) get a magnifying glass

2) on a very sunny day focus the rays of the sun onto the smallest area you can on the back of your hand.

3) see if you can last for 10 seconds before the agonising pain of your skin burning becomes unbearable.

only joking....

DO NOT TRY EITHER OF THESE AS THEY ARE BOTH STUPID AND VERY DANGEROUS. You need to bear in mind that the sun is one powerful beast.

As for your suggestions...

The power of the sun has already been utilised for solar furnaces. Here a number of mirrors reflect the rays on the sun onto a single point. The temperature generated is enough to melt steel.

With regards to the lighting application you mention is concerned, this also has been done. For this a solar cell array will be used to power the detector circuitry and motor mechanism needed to move a mirror to the position for optimal light transfer. This is then transfered along conduits (with mirrors to allow beams to travel arround corners) until it gets to the room where light is needed.

On a lighter finishing note, I have also seen advertised an automatic plant turner that uses a solar cell to drive a motor that rotates a plant pot ensuring even sun all round.