Alarm went off, which lights did I grab?

Streak

Enlightened
Hi,
It's 3.20am here in South Africa. My house alarm went of a few minutes ago. Thoght I would share with you which lights I reached for.
PT attitude used to find the other lights without waking the family
PT Surge for some serious light output backup
SL Scorpion in the pocket as backup
SL Propolymer with head upgrade to look around the garden with, rechargeable and very bright so best value.
Oh and of course the G23 (Glock) more serious backup.

Turned out to be false alarm but the flashlight dry run worked well!!

Now if only I had the L4.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streak,

Ha ha. You, sir, are very well prepared. It sounds like you really don't need an L4 as much as you need a couple more hands.

Paul

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streak-with the turmoil in your country, I doubt anyone here could DREAM about the possible bad things that could happen there when the alarm goes off.

I live in a mid-sized Tennessee city that used to be peaceful; when my alarm goes off, I do as you do, except my handgun is a Glock 19.

I like your choice of lights; they barely deviate from my favorites.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, why would you not want to wake up the family and how is it that the house alarm only woke you up and not the rest of the family?

Nice choice of lights--I think I need to think a little more about what I'd grab in an emergency. I'd guess that my PM6 w/McModule and SNII would be my first choices, but I'd probably want to grab something with a longer runtime for backup.

Streak

Enlightened
Hey Zenghorst,
It was actually the electric fence alarm whose siren is outside. The wife and 1 daughter woke up the other two remained asleep.

Grabbed those lights because they were at hand. Funny thing was that as I got back into bed and turned over I felt a lump in my pocket wife got excited until I told her that it was only the Scorpion that I had forgoten to remove!!

The MO here is to let the response company respond, take the flack if necessary so I only really needed the lights after I met them in garden after the all clear. Found a branch had fallen on the electric fence.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't know what part of South Africa we are talking about...

But I would be thinking in terms of a Crew Served SAW or some such I think!

I have a 3D light with a pitiful 3LED replacement bulb in it that ain't a whole bunch brighter than my Attitude to pick up if things go bump, and can grab an SNII just as fast!

I don't wake up fast enough (can't think or see too well for first 30min or so) to keep a gun handy... wouldn't be TOO much trouble to fill my hands with a Remington 870 Pump 12g though....

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
Streak, if you need an eletric fence on your property I would think that the flashlights would not be the only thing you'll be grabbing when the alarm goes off. i.e. shotgun, ak47, etc...

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
Streak-with the turmoil in your country, I doubt anyone here could DREAM about the possible bad things that could happen there when the alarm goes off.

I live in a mid-sized Tennessee city that used to be peaceful; when my alarm goes off, I do as you do, except my handgun is a Glock 19.

I like your choice of lights; they barely deviate from my favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is a Glock 30 (compact .45 caliber). One question: If there is an armed intruder, is it better NOT to carry a light? Some training manuals I have seen make the point that when you carry a bright light, you provide a handy target for an armed suspect. All he has to do is shoot into the beam and nine times out of ten he gets you in your center of mass. They go on to say that you are better off using "shadow recognition" techniques to identify intruders. ??????
I use a laser target designator on my handguns.
Any comments plus or minus? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened
Cops are trained to hold their flashlights away from their bodies because when they burst into a room, a person's natural tendency is to shoot at the light. I mean that is all they can see. So watch cop shows and you will notice they do that flashlight, gun over arm stance when entering.

You should do the same and you'll live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sygyzy said:
Cops are trained to hold their flashlights away from their bodies because when they burst into a room, a person's natural tendency is to shoot at the light. I mean that is all they can see. So watch cop shows and you will notice they do that flashlight, gun over arm stance when entering.

You should do the same and you'll live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the old FBI method. Totally worthless inside even a large room if your light is any brighter than an Infinity. Shine a SureFire, or even a 4 cell Maglite in a room and it will light up the room enough to see anyone there. Aim a light any brighter than a Scorpion into a person's face who is dark adapted (as presumably a person breaking into a darkened house would be), and all they will be able to see is a wall of light. I'd rather have two hands on my gun to have better conrol. Lasers are fine, but remember they don't give you any target ID at all, and they tend to make you take your eyes off of your front sight.

Streak

Enlightened
All very good points.
We have enough auxilliary lighting not to need a flashlight to indentify the target or to determine if he had criminal intent. I was fortunate enough to do Ayoob's LFI course when he visited here many years ago and many of his techniques still stick with me.
The main reason for the lights was to inspect the perimeter once the all clear was given.

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
I only grab one light ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pic.php

Streak

Enlightened
Yes Ninja,
that is a great light.
My G23 is backed up by a similarly modified, not so "light" Para Ordinance P14 (15 shot .45 for the uninitiated).

jtice

Flashaholic
Ninja...
Very nice light. I like the angled handle. And how it has sites, so you can point the light exactly where you want it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Streak said:
Yes Ninja,
that is a great light.
My G23 is backed up by a similarly modified, not so "light" Para Ordinance P14 (15 shot .45 for the uninitiated).

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so... I used to live in Papua New Gunia - electrified windows etc.

My M3t is in my other hand, btw

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Ninja,

Nice set-up!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kimber-custom... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

What caliber is that one?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is of particular interest to me because I live with my wife and small children in the country, and I want to be prepared for situations that might arise out here. Undoubtedly I don't face the same degree of risk that one might in South Africa! I'm most concerned with hearing a strange sound outside and needing to investigate whether it represents a threat early enough to take counteraction (might be as simple as running or hiding). Also, I don't own a handgun, though I have a shotgun in the house. Admittedly, the way it's stored, it would take a couple minutes to get it out of the closet, load it, etc.

Got a Space Needle II and a MagCharger, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif