Work Flashlight

udt89

Newly Enlightened
So I work in law enforcement, lets put any personal opinions or experiences aside, and I need a second flashlight.

I carry a stinger on my duty belt and I would like a larger flashlight to keep in the car that I can carry, also having some weight to it if I need to break a window or anything like that.

Those HID lights look great, but I also dont want to be replacing a $100 bulb twice a year.

So I'm looking for help. Im thinking of sticking with streamlight so I can use the same car/home charger and just buy the light, but I'm not sure on if they are making the brightest lights out there.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dr. J

Newly Enlightened
So I work in law enforcement, lets put any personal opinions or experiences aside, and I need a second flashlight.

I carry a stinger on my duty belt and I would like a larger flashlight to keep in the car that I can carry, also having some weight to it if I need to break a window or anything like that.

Those HID lights look great, but I also dont want to be replacing a $100 bulb twice a year.

So I'm looking for help. Im thinking of sticking with streamlight so I can use the same car/home charger and just buy the light, but I'm not sure on if they are making the brightest lights out there.

I assume that you have an ASP or PR-24 or something like that, right? For auto (side and rear) glass, a spring-loaded window punch costs about $10, so my opinion is that you should not let the need to break glass drive your flashlight decision.

Get a 2-level LED of some sort (you don't always need blindingly high output) that uses the lithium-ion batteries that are favored by many here. Get 2-3 batteries and a charger you can put in your car. Every time you use the light for more than a minute or two, change out the battery with the one in the charger, so that you always have the full capacity of the lithium-ion at your disposal (and so that the batteries last you YEARS of service).

Plan to spend about $200-250 total, and you will not need to buy batteries, bulbs, or another flashlight for the foreseeable future (unless you catch upgrade fever, a phenomenon that is endemic here among us gearheads). One example would be a Malkoff MD2 "turnkey" with high/low, some AW brand 18650 batteries, and a Pila charger with a DC cord.

The other (cheaper) alternative is the Inova T4, but you should ask around here about the user interface, etc, as I have not handled it and it is not heavily reviewed like some other products...

Dr. J

HIDblue

Enlightened
Check out the Thrunite Catapult V2; although there's controversy right now about the actual out-the-front (OTF) lumens being below the claimed 1,000 emitter lumens, it's still one hell of a sturdy light.

Here's a link to a great review of it:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277988

As someone else mentioned above, you'll also need to invest in a set of 2 AW 18650 2600 mah batteries and a good charger.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nowadays, to me, there's two categories in regards to LEDs: Plenty bright to do the job or 'Hey, check out what this thing can do!'
All boils down to specific need and there's several companies that can fill the role. If you already have your personal, tactical light covered, I'd go for something bigger that can assist you in search and assist roles. I just got finished raving about the Black and Decker 4C spotlight that may serve you well and it's only 20 bucks to try. Wal-Mart stocks them in the flashlight section.

Last edited:

TAC1

Newly Enlightened
This will solve all of your problems as well any problems a suspect may have.

100_7267.JPG

lightplay22

Enlightened
Might try streamlight stinger LED HP DS. Got the light, fast charger with piggy back charger, AC and DC cords, with and extra battery, shipped for $140.00. Very good throw light - not so great as a flood light.