Cheap No Mod MagCharger bulb?

entoptics

Enlightened
My MagCharger is approaching a decade of use, and is still running the OEM bulb. Now that I've gotten some smaller, brighter, and more efficient lights, I'm retiring the MagCharger to bedside duty for my Mrs. She has delusions of blinding then clubbing a scumbag with it when I'm out of town.
(whatever makes her feel safer when I'm away... :shrug: )

Obviously, the bulb could go at any time, and although the OEM spare is still hanging out happily in the tailcap, I'd spend a few bucks for something better if it exists.

I don't want to modify any hardware, and DEFINITELY don't want to decrease reliability, but I'd be OK with a somewhat shorter runtime if it gained some brightness without risking barbecuing something. The OEM bulbs are just fine, but I was wondering if 10 years has brought about some newer, better bulb, that won't break the bank or decrease reliability.

Any direct drop in replacements that will improve the light without cutting, grinding, heatsinking, etc, etc?

hoongern

Enlightened
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I believe the simplest is the MC60 - MagCharger with a simple change to the WA1160 bulb.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/149011
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218447

Unfortunately, I think finding the elusive bulb is a bit difficult...

(Otherwise, the WA1111 or Philips 5761 should also work fine)

Orig MC bulb ~ 218 lumens @ 6V, 10W (22lm/W)
WA1160 ~ 585 lumens @ 6V, 23W (25lm/W)
WA1111 ~ 465 lumens @ 6V, 20W (23lm/W)
5761 ~ 765 lumens @ 6V, 25W (31lm/W)
...ref Luxluther's Destructive Bulb Tests

Actually, the 5761 seems to make sense.. (But read the 2nd link first - it's a bit more complicated it seems)

I can't remember if the MagCharger comes with a plastic or aluminum reflector, but it needs to be a metal one.

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
Entoptics, I'm in a similar situation, I just bought a brand-new MC, thinking it'd be a good light to mod, and I'm less than impressed with the upgrade choices (needing extension tubes, etc).

There doesn't seem to be much interest in these anymore. It's fairly compact (as mags go), throws very well, and is CRADLE rechargeable, which makes it a great "set-it and forget-it" light. Great for a vehicle.

The few lamp choices out there that don't require extra cells, or different cells altogether, seem to have gargantuan filaments, which kill a perfectly good thrower.

Doesn't someone make an axial-filament lamp that'll work well at around 6V?

mrartillery

Enlightened
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I believe the simplest is the MC60 - MagCharger with a simple change to the WA1160 bulb.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/149011
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218447

Unfortunately, I think finding the elusive bulb is a bit difficult...

(Otherwise, the WA1111 or Philips 5761 should also work fine)

Orig MC bulb ~ 218 lumens @ 6V, 10W (22lm/W)
WA1160 ~ 585 lumens @ 6V, 23W (25lm/W)
WA1111 ~ 465 lumens @ 6V, 20W (23lm/W)
5761 ~ 765 lumens @ 6V, 25W (31lm/W)
...ref Luxluther's Destructive Bulb Tests

Actually, the 5761 seems to make sense.. (But read the 2nd link first - it's a bit more complicated it seems)

I can't remember if the MagCharger comes with a plastic or aluminum reflector, but it needs to be a metal one.

Yeah, good luck finding the 1160! The 1111 will give you the best runtime of these at a little over three amps. The 5761 will pull about 5.5. And Im pretty sure the reflector is already metal if Im not mistaken.

entoptics

Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm out of luck from my reading (although I'm still not sure).

Is the WA1111 a direct drop in bulb requiring no modification? If so, that sounds like a perfect solution.

I'd already found most of those threads, but wasn't sure if the 5761 was truly a drop in. It seems it is not, and requires opening the reflector hole.

mrartillery

Enlightened
1111 should drop in, its right smart smaller in diameter than the 5761, although you may want to pick up one of FM's high temp sockets if you plan on long runs with it.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the WA1111 a direct drop in bulb requiring no modification? If so, that sounds like a perfect solution.

WA1111 is physicaly direct replacement but extreme heat will melt plastic slug. For short bursts, no problem.
---------------------------
Hey guys,
I've been looking around for ways to upgrade my magcharger.. I'm thinking I want to put a 5761 bulb in it...

Philips 5761 won't fit in stock reflector unless bulb opening is enlarged.
---------------------------
might be a little offtopic but concrning the magcharger's reflector...is it all metal?

Only the reflector is metal but reflector base is plastic.

entoptics

Enlightened
If I go with the WA1111 bulb, is it easy enough to just insert a "mica washer" between bulb and base as mentioned above? If it's simple and non destructive, I'd be up for it.

Not sure where I'd find such a thing, or how much it costs.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
In post number 1 of this thread there is a picture of a mica shield.

Many members don't use a shield and simply insert the bulb in as far as it will go and than pull it out 1mm.This way the bulb is not making contact with the base.I have been doing this for 2 years with my MagCharger and a 5761 bulb and have had no problems.