Quark tactical preflash semi-solution

vvs

Newly Enlightened
As many other flashaholics I'm stuck with preflash problem. Few days ago I start experimenting when it there:
1. Most of us have setup tighten - turbo, loosen - medium (my setup too). After 1-2 min there will be preflash on medium in any cases
2. Then I change setup from tighten - medium, loosen - turbo. Preflash is there. Wait! I tight bezel, it preflashes, then I relaxed for 5 minutes, turn medium on and NO PREFLASH!

Conclusion: most of the time I use my 123^2 WW only on medium, no preflash, head tighten. When I need turbo, I loosen the bezel, shine the light and before turn off tighten bezel, turn it off then on, preflash, turn off, voila. Next time it will me on medium without preflash. Hope it works not with my setup only.

vvs

Newly Enlightened
I still get a pre-flash if the light just sits there for a while after wards. I was tired of having to cover my light before using it it, so I gave my Quark away.

Try to reprogram it in my way: tight - low mode, loosen - higher one. Try it several times: mine works perfect, no preflash, I'm happy.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
When I turn off my light in a high mode ( tightened ), then turn the light on in moon mode ( loosened ), I get pre-flash. If I turn it off in moon then back on in moon, no pre-flash.
WW Turbo 123.

vvs

Newly Enlightened
When I turn off my light in a high mode ( tightened ), then turn the light on in moon mode ( loosened ), I get pre-flash. If I turn it off in moon then back on in moon, no pre-flash.
WW Turbo 123.

Mystics. I have preflash on medium all the time in loose-med, tight-turbo.

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened
switching from the higher level to the lower level when it's off is also the only cause of preflash for me, other than if I have it in between the two levels when it's on, it gets confused and flashes, but I dont blame the torch for that, I've learned to just twist it a little farther,,,find the sweet spot

PBX

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened
This is a slight necro, but I'm having trouble understanding the cause of pre-flash for these lights.

As far as I can tell, the Quark 123² Turbo uses a Buck circuit. Why is the capacitor charged up when the light is turned on?

The usual "capacitor is charged up while light is off" doesn't hold water. The diode should conduct any excess charge left on the capacitor.

Last edited:

tpseabird

Newly Enlightened
WW Turbo 123.

Still no change. Just received a Limited Run Neutral Tactical 123 2 and the pre-flash is very apparent when moonlight is a setting. Nice light, but the pre-flash kind of defeats the "tactical" aspect the light was to serve.