First Impressions: XENO Farka F8V5 3-Mode

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received my Farka F8V5 3 mode version.

Overall is a great looking and well built flashlight, everything about build quality exceeds my expectations, the HA is flawless, machining is nearly perfect, head and tails screws smoothly and seems to seal well.

However,

Like any flashlight there are flaws and imperfections, and the farka is no exception, so I will point the pros and cons.

Pros:
-Excellent build quality, feels solid and sturdy
-Great machining and HA
-Double Orings
-Best Knurling between my flashlights
-High quality lanyard
-Dust-free lenses ans reflector
-Tailstandable
-White beam, no yellow/greenish tint
-Came with extra switch and 2 orings

Cons:
-A black dot in the beam, very noticeable at all modes, I tried adjusting the pill but the problem persisted. Like a small doghnut hole. Very, very irritating.
-Not as bright as I expected, my fenix TK11R2 is a better thrower and has a larger spill, while not being less bright.
-Switch too sensitive, will change mode by barely touching it.
-Wrist strap broke when I barely applied force.

-Low current draw when not using a 100% charged battery, hence the low output.

High
4.2v-----910ma
4.15v----720ma
4.1v-----580ma
4.05-----550ma
4.0v-----500ma
Low
4.15v----150ma
Super Low
4.15v----20ma

I know the farka has no flat regulation, but the current drop is ridiculous. With these numbers, I could expect at last 3.5 hours of runtime, well this could be a pro as well.

-Does not work with 2x123, the modes are low-low-superlow. This really bugs me off. Haven't tried with 2xRCR123. See below.

2xCR123, with this setup I only get low-low-superlow modes
Low
6.05v----110ma initial, then drops to 30ma after 2 sec
SuperLow
6.05v----40ma initial, then drops to 10ma after 2 sec

So definetly there is something wrong with my unit, and I know it's the driving board. I bought this flashlight to replace my Fenix TK11R2 that has been in a pelican emergency kit case for a year. Well I think the Fenix will stay there for a little bit longer, since the Farka does not work well with CR123s.

I can't speak for other units, but I was dissapointed that mine came with this issue. I cannot either send it back, because doing that from my country would cost me nearly half of what the farka is worth.

The bottom line: Not a bad deal for the price, In fact I think this is one of the most good looking and well built P60+18650 host you could get, but sadly, the Farka will stay on the shelf and not in a backpack, emergency kit, or EDC pouch, and will neither be the first flashlight I grab on a unexpected situation, for several reasons.

lightmyway

Newly Enlightened
I have the 5-Mode version of the Farka,and it draw 1000ma at 4.2 volts and draws the same at 4.0 volts.Have you tried other batteries?
The light is not really a P60 host as most will not work without modification.
My original plan for this light was to replace the driver with the popular one Shiningbeam sells , it drives at 1500 ma. In my opinion this is one exceptional light.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my 3 mode as well just a few days ago. I too was kinda disappointed at the output. My Olight M20 (the older version. not with the updated xpg) was just as bright. I haven't measured anything in terms of current draw or voltage, but it definitely isn't putting out what it's rated.

But for the price, I can't complain too much. Build quality is great! Looks good too. I'm just wondering if there's anything that can be done to increase the output. Nailbender's sst-50 drop-in maybe?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I received my 3 mode as well just a few days ago. I too was kinda disappointed at the output. My Olight M20 (the older version. not with the updated xpg) was just as bright. I haven't measured anything in terms of current draw or voltage, but it definitely isn't putting out what it's rated.

But for the price, I can't complain too much. Build quality is great! Looks good too. I'm just wondering if there's anything that can be done to increase the output. Nailbender's sst-50 drop-in maybe?

Does yours have the doughnut hole in the beam too?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does yours have the doughnut hole in the beam too?

EVER so slightly. I really didn't notice until I actually looked for it.

And after looking at it again, it is indeed brighter than my Olight M20 but not by much. I would figure that an output rating of 360 lumen vs 250 lumen would be pretty significant.

Tally-ho

Banned
EVER so slightly. I really didn't notice until I actually looked for it.
Donut hole is noticeable indoor on a wall if you are really chasing it. Unnoticeable when walking outdoor like with any XP-G.R5 flashlight that has the same issue, for example (my) Fenix TK12 XP-G.R5.

The inner throat of the host for the module is a little bit longer than "standard" D26/P60 hosts because farka's reflector is longer. There is a gap with D26 modules from others brands.
To fill the gap, 2 solutions:
- Stretch a little bit the outer spring of the module.
- Screw down the Farka's reflector to the pill of another brand (if threads are matching).

This longer throat leave more room to make a longer pill for better heatsink mass/surface if such a pill would be used with a "standard" reflector.

I'm just wondering if there's anything that can be done to increase the output.
By requesting a more hardly driven XP-G.R5 directly to zhongwin.

I'm sure that zhongwin will develop and improve its (his ?) existing products if there is enough feedbacks and demands for. You can contact XENOled (Karol) on this thread:
http://brightside.lumensreview.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47&sid=ea21c41171a66a6c0f03b2febc3054d2

XENOled will probably consider to make a 1200mA driver if there is enough demand for. I also asked for a memory feature but feel free to ask something else.

Even with this 1000mA driver, basic UI and donut hole, it is worth the price.
And considering the total price relatively to the content of the pack (XP-G.R5 D26 module, lanyard ring, short lanyard, (excellent) long lanyard, 2 spare o-ring, 1 spare reverse clicky), the price is lower than Solarforce L2P with equivalent things. I bought it new, from Caroso (CPF member) who is Zhongwin's dealer for europe, at a very good price.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that:
- I have only one multimode solarforce D26 module. It uses a low frequency PWM for lowest modes (40% and 10%). Flickering is very noticeable and obviously vey annoying with mode 10%. Zhongwin do not use PWM.
- Farka F8's knurling is agressive and provide a much better handgrip than the one of the Solarforce L2P that is far too soft.
- Farka F8's reverse clicky is softer to press than the one of the Solarforce L2P that is far too hard to press. It is a little bit too soft but it is not an issue as long as you do not hold your thumb on it. But Farka clicky's softness is nearly like the Fenix TK12's forward clicky.
- Farka F8's (square) threads are smoother than those of the Solarforce L2P.
- Zhongwing is making a great quality optionnal carry bag, even if a little bit to voluminous because of the big plastic clips that provide a secure lock.

I let you decide which one is the best deal. I already took my decision without a doubt about it.

Last edited: