6P Dive certified to US Navy specs?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone heard of these? I know they do this with the M6 but I have never heard of this for a 6P.

guncollector

Enlightened
From what I understand (from a very reliable inside-Surefire source, SureFire is only "N"-certifying (pressure-certification) the 6P model at this time.

No explanation why. It used to be the M2, M3 and M6 could all be N-certified. Now, only the 6P.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6???????

Where is is this info coming from?

6PN - How???? It will leak around the lens at 20 ft... That seal is not made to "hold" any pressure.

Is it new Pyrex bezel?

nihraguk

Enlightened
hmm regarding the 6P i think they should get rid of the milled out area on the barrel where the surefire logo is etched...it makes the light awkward to hold and is rather unnecessary.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
Originally posted by nihraguk:
hmm regarding the 6P i think they should get rid of the milled out area on the barrel where the surefire logo is etched...it makes the light awkward to hold and is rather unnecessary.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Surefire Logo'ed 6p only came out about 2 years ago, before that "Surefire" was only on the tailcap.

Geoff

nihraguk

Enlightened
yea i know.....i think adding the milled out area was kind of a step backwards, and its rather redundant. the hex bezel was useful, as it prevented the light from rolling and the lock-out tailcap was very useful for preventing accidental discharge of the light, not to mention the added water-proofness it provided. i don't think the same can be said for the body.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by nihraguk:
...and its rather redundant. the hex bezel was useful, as it prevented the light from rolling... i don't think the same can be said for the body.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">winston,

Hmmm... I have the new 6P and I think the milled barrel section does almost nothing for anti-roll. You still need the hex-bezel for that. I do like one aspect of the milled body - it weighs a little less now!

nihraguk

Enlightened
hotfoot:
i meant the new hex bezel stops the light from rolling and the new tailcap has improved water-resistance and function, both of which were useful which was unlike the milled barrel. sorry if i confused you
smile.gif
well to me, the milled section makes for an odd grip, and it took more knurling away from the barrel that most people already find rather slippery.

anyway i'll be selling my E2e and 6P provided i can get buyers, and i'll be getting an M2 very soon; that should resolve most of my grievances with the 6P and E2e
wink.gif
i don't think i'll mind the added weight of the M2, since it'll be in my bag. the arc-aaa is what will be in my pocket all the time
tongue.gif

Banshee

Enlightened
might be interested in your E2E.....whatcher asking price (when the time comes?)

2dogs

Enlightened
The 6P is not waterproof. As my carry light as a firefighter it would be wet inside after a fire. Maybe steam entered, I don't know, but it was wet. I switched to a 6C. Great design, waterproof, lanyard hole on the end. I don't believe the 6C is made anymore. If you find one buy it. Better yet tell me and I'll buy it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The E2e is not waterproof either. We just had a storm in Ca.....yes it rained here for the first time this year. Well after using the e2e in the rain, I noticed the beam was dull and spread out like it had a beamshaper on it. I looked at it and it was all foggy and had water droppings on the inside of the lens. I blow Dried it.

nihraguk

Enlightened
Banshee:
are you from singapore too? i ask cos i don't think i would want to go through the hassle and risk of sending the light overseas
smile.gif
but if you're really interested, i think we can work something out. i'm thinking of selling it for SGD$130 with a new set of batteries, as its basically in mint condition, since i only carried in my pocket for a couple of days after taking it out of the box. i'm not sure how much exactly that is in USD, but US$85 is about SGD$150.

hotfoot:
yea
smile.gif
hopefully that will be last....i can't afford to keep buying multi-hundred dollar pieces of milled aluminium
grin.gif
i was also thinking the M2's added ruggedness and water-resistance would come in handy during my upcoming NS time

kiffvegmgt:
i'm not surprised, since the 6P isn't "officially" waterproof. mine is however...in fact if you dig up a thread i started on the former SFDB (now the strategos board), you'll find out that my 6P is much more waterproof than my E2e.

the E2e's water resistance is a joke, at least for the sample i have. the tailcap and bezel seals are fine, but water leaks in through the lens seal, and there's no way to rectify it since it isn't user-servicable (read: its glued shut). if i submerge the E2e in a basin of water, within 15 seconds water starts leaking into the reflector area, and i have to quickly remove it, dissassemble it and let it dry out completely. i was honestly quite dissapointed when water leaked in after i exposed it to just heavy rain.

my 6P on the other hand, doesn't let a drop of water in. the record so far is 3 hours in a pail of water, with absolutely NO leakage at all. i removed the LA and batteries and filled i up with tissue, so i'd know if water leaked in. after 3 hours, the tissue was as dry as when i first put it in. odd huh? i'm hoping my upcoming M2 will live up to my expectations.

Surefire M6:
looks like you had the exact same experience as me
frown.gif
i really wonder why surefire doesn't adopt a more straightforward and simple way of sealing the lens, such as the screw-on face caps that all mags have. none of my maglites have ever had water leak through the lens seal. i suspect the o-rings are simply not fat enough, so there isn't enough pressure on the o-ring, hence the dismal water-resistance.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by kiffvegmgt:
The 6P is not waterproof. As my carry light as a firefighter it would be wet inside after a fire. Maybe steam entered, I don't know, but it was wet. I switched to a 6C. Great design, waterproof, lanyard hole on the end. I don't believe the 6C is made anymore. If you find one buy it. Better yet tell me and I'll buy it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There is a thread about a Surefire blowout. There are selling 6P that are dive certified by Surefire which means they should be water proof to 30 meters.
grin.gif

Banshee

Enlightened
hmmmm..

nope...I am in Massachusetts....quite a bit overseas from Singapore..

Ah well...another time..

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My E2e leaks through the lens too. sucks. $70 leaky flashlight.