Shortwave radio Q's

TOB9595

Enlightened
Shortwave radio Q\'s

I have a hankering for trying out SW listening. On a cheap scale, thank you.
North East USA New jersey receiving area.
I just got a Grundig crank that I wanted for the crank, am, fm, sw ability.
I also want to get a somewhat better receiving portable.
I'm lookin at
Degen 1101
Sangean 803
Tecsun 2000
These are less than $100.
What can I expect from these units as far as receiving ability. What can I expect to receive?
I'm a total Newbie with no experience.
What is the value to getting the 2004 version of "Passport to World Band Radio" versus a previous year? 2003, etc. How far back is the book useful? 1990's?
Any other brands I should consider?
Anuy question I didn't ask?
Observations?
Tom

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Shortwave radio Q\'s

Go to Grove Enterprises' site. You'll find a lot of helpful information there. Pay particular attention to the "Monitoring Times" link. I've found Grove to be trustworthy for years.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Grundig yatchboy 300 and it does a decent job for it's size with an external wire antenna. I also have a Sangean 505 that can pull down some weaker signals. I think tecsun is either grundig or sangean in another brand but I don't remember which. I am in the midwest (Indianapolis) and have received even some pirate stations, barely. I have gotten english language brodcasts from dozens of countries. It is neat to get a different aspect on things.

The passport book is a good buy but the information can be dated. Transmission times and frequencies change. Most of the big broadcasters are stable in regards to keeping the same settings over years. Monitoring Times and Pop Communications are better for the most current data. The 2003 book should be good though.

TOB9595

Enlightened

Sheesh, Like all cool things in life, there's so many levels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I expected to twirl the dial or scan. with the button, NOW I'm exposed to all this info that you both have exposed me to.
Now to spend some time on the site for SW fodder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The tecsun is Grundig
Pellidon, do you pull in the signals with both units?
I would think that my location would be better than yours for European signals Yes?
Or it depends, clouds, sunspots,GOD only knows what?
Tom

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a portable Sony ICF-SW77 and I love it. The quality is outstanding and the sound is really good. I wanted to get a radio that has all of the features of a short wave such as DX, Single Side Band, Synchronous Detection, 10-Key Direct Access, with very good FM sound with separate bass and treble controls.

I do a lot of camping and wanted a radio that I could listen to music and news. I listen to music more then the short wave but it's nice to have both capabilities with out suffering on the sound like you do with most short wave radios. Its not cheap and I wouldn't recommend this unit to someone who wants to just tryout short wave. I would recommend this radio to someone who wants the best of both worlds. (Music and short wave)

was_jlh

Enlightened

Tom, I've been away from swl for a while but pick a radio with sideband coverage and put up an antenna outside. Sideband ( mainly USB ) allows you to get into "utility" monitoring, which IMHO is the most enjoyable part of swl. Military traffic, numbers stations ( spooks ), digital decoding, etc.

http://www.wunclub.com/
http://www.ominous-valve.com/uteworld.html
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtute.html

I would pass on buying the "Passport to World Band Radio", the internet is your best resource.

Joe

JJHitt

Enlightened

I cant travel without TWO radios.
An cheap analog radio and a slightly better (Sangean) digital.
---
Despite manufacturer's claims: digital SW radios dont scan worth a hoot. I use to the analog radio to find the bands that are active and interesting. Once I find what I want I settle down to listening on the digital.

To me, SSB is nice to have, but not a necessity. I tire quicklly of utility listening and primarily listen to broadcasters.
---
Biggest peice of advice: keep logs of what you monitor. And do it on paper instead of on a computer. I still have my log books from 20 years ago. But the logs I kept on computer have long since gone to the Big Disk In The Sky.
---
Oh... and of your choices of receviers: the 803 is the best of that batch. I wore one out. But it survived years of steady use and several apartment moves.

TOB9595

Enlightened

Thanks for the info everybody.

Please post more when you new readers see this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WOW the Sony ICF-SW77 is $329 lowest price I can find.
I'll wait on this puppy until I become possessed with sw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I like the idea of the antenna and the paper log.
Thanks again
Tom

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have Sangean ATS404 but the ATS505 is spec'd better for not much more money. One very good benefit of the ATS404 and hopefully carried on to the ATS505 is outstanding FM reception with the whip antenna.

JJHitt

Enlightened

The 505 is my current sweetheart ... the Radio Netherlands review of it is at:

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/ats505.html

Only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is synchronous detection. So far the only radio I know of that has a synch detector for less than $200 is the Sony ICF-7600(G).

Spudman

Enlightened

Rand McNally recently closed out the sangean 909 for $129.00. There aren't anymore on the website but I read some of the brick and mortars still have them. I have no idea where these are located. I've never seen one.

I like the 909 and the radio shack version (dx-398) can be found for a good price sometimes. I also like the YB400 in most areas. The sangean 404 is a great travel size if you don't need the ssb.

Tom, if you'd only gotten into this ten months ago when Radio Shack was clearing out their models.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
Timing is everything.
I'm off to call Rand McNally stores /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'll start in CA 3 hours earlier than here
So many choices so little $
Tom

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the YB-300 at Radio Shack to have a small unit I could carry when I'm on the road in my breifcase and get bored at night. It does a decent job with the wire antenna on most of the popular stations but does not have sideband or the fine tuning to get the tough pirate and marginal stations that can drift off the normal frequencies like the 505 can. With a bare wire, the 505 actually does better in "local" rather than DX mode. It gets overpowered by the religious broadcasters in Fla.

I do have to agree, SSB gets tiresome at times and the digital units scan kind of clunky.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Re: Shortwave radio Bought the Sang 909

That's it!! I just ordered the Sangean from Rand McNally for $129.
So much for cheap!! Tho this is inexpensive in the short run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks for all the info.
I see that the web is the place for info, and the logging is important as there's so much out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I didn't even know there were Rand M Stores.
Gary this is all because of you.
behead.gif

Tom

Spudman

Enlightened

Tom,
If it makes you feel any better that is about what I spent for a USED one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif
Glad to help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif It's a good radio. You'll like it.
Gary

TOB9595

Enlightened

If anyone's interested they had the Sangean 606 for $70.
Now to learn the ether /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Curses Gary, Time and $, so many interests so little $ and time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shipping from Shaumburg, Ill will get it within 7 days. UPS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
They were most helpful. I started at the NJ store and they didn't have it
I tried a PA store and they didn't have it BUT they put me on to where they ship the discontinued stuff. There the beautiful lady said she sold their last one yesterday.....AND she offered to search the other stores in the country.
She found one in S, Illinois /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
They called me back and the rest is future.

REALLY looking forward to getting this
This is really KOOL.
Tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't rush out and buy the passport 2003. The 2004 is out for orders at grove so the 2003's might be discounted soon. 2002's have been spotted at my half price books. Don't think I would go much earlier than that though.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Re: Shortwave radio Sang 909 modding

Next I'll be asking about the benefits of modding to remove chuff and dialing in the freq better.

AND SO IT BEGINS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

Is the above a valuable thing to do?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Shortwave radio Sang 909 modding

While we're on shortwave radios, anyone know where an owners manual for a Sony ICF-2010 might be found?

Latest posts