When is a Surefire lumen not a Surefire lumen?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Answer: when it's coming from a HelmetLight. My A2 with its "3 lumens" totally washes out my helmetlight (YG) with its "19.2 lumens"

Normal? Are they measuring the A2 at the point its main gun will no longer fire? (for as we know, the secondary LEDs are not regulated and dim as the batteries run down) Guaranteed minimums? Inquiring minds want to know before inquiring fingers pull the trigger on a white helmetlight.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Answer: when it's coming from a HelmetLight. My A2 with its "3 lumens" totally washes out my helmetlight (YG) with its "19.2 lumens"

Normal? Are they measuring the A2 at the point its main gun will no longer fire? (for as we know, the secondary LEDs are not regulated and dim as the batteries run down) Guaranteed minimums? Inquiring minds want to know before inquiring fingers pull the trigger on a white helmetlight.

If they expect you to use the LEDs as a last-resort lighting, then it makes sense that they'd rate their lumens in those conditions. Run the A2 down to where you need to use the LEDs and compare. 3 lumens is adequate for seeing but really isn't that bright.

sjmack

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering the same thing about my E2DL. It says the low mode is 5 lumens, but it sure doesn't look like 5 lumens...

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come to think of it, I wonder how the A2 and white helmetlight stacks up. They both use three white 5mm LEDs, probably the same Nichia CS. Anybody tried the two side by side?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the same thing about my E2DL. It says the low mode is 5 lumens, but it sure doesn't look like 5 lumens...

My E2L outdoorsman is the same way. Hard to judge with that TIR, though as that hotspot is pretty concentrated compared to the spill, but I'd say low is a good 15-20 lumens.

Last edited: