My pride and joy ! sst 90 mag

alexdiver

Newly Enlightened
Well bought this modded light from overdog, and the body was cut too 1d size by Wquiles.

I added my personal touch ,6061 aluminium lanyard ring and spacer and op reflector from brite lumens.

Its a top bin sst90 direct driven with an imr 26650 it pulls 5.2-5.6 amps i was told it could pull as much as 7 amps with a fresh cell but for some reason im only getting 5.6 max. Any input ?

i love it

Last edited:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
How are you measuring the current? A common issue when testing at higher currents is that common/typical multimeters can add considerable resistance to the system and thus cause the current to drop during testing.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your Amp meter? Do you have a Good Amp meter that could Validate the 6-7 Amp claim with confidence?
I would love to see some data with a good meter, there's just too much variation on meter use.

I have seen a few cheap meter hacks (Take a cheap meter, replace test wires with thick copper wires) that seems
to over state the SST-90 Amps pumped by Single cells, including IMR 18650, IMR 26500 or IMR 26650.

I have made several SST-50 & SST-90 mags, both on D & C platform.
With IMR 26650, I consistently get around 4-4.5 Amp Max on freshly charged battery.
This is with all the Copper Braid resistance mod.

Even with a freshly Charged 26650 directly hooked to SST-90, without the flashlight body &
switch, it was hard to get it over 5 AMP.

So if you have a high quality Amp meter & you get 5.6 Amp with IMR 26650, consider yourself lucky.

Last edited:

overdog

Enlightened
...nice light, Alex :grin2:...
I follow the discussion about, how to push 9Ah into the SST-90, and I built some different SST-90 lights. It is right that the Luminus datasheet says, it is possible to run the SST-90 on 9Ah, I pushed one to over 11Ah in a 4D Mag, but what counts to me is the brightness to see out of the front of the light- with SST-90 I found out for myself, that I cannot really see a difference in brightness for a SST-90 running on 5-6 Ah or on 9Ah- it is about the same brightness for my eyes- but on 9Ah the light consumes much more energy from a battery, which reduces runtime and only pays back in much more heat, not in adequate brightness for that increase of energy consume... What I want to say is, that the SST-90 is able to eat a lot of amps, but to my mind the emitter performs at its best on 5-6Ah.

Best regards,
Steffen

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Human Eyes are not the best instrument on judging brightness differences, especially during over exposure situations.
The pupil dilate or contract to maintain & regulate the light coming into the eyes, when it get to certain brightness,
you won't be able to see the difference as your eyes have decided that they no longer want to "see" anymore photons.
But when you are trying to test the throw limit, the light at a long distance is not that bright, your eyes will see a big difference on which one throws further.

The difference between IMR 26650 DD vs. Driving to 8 Amp (4xAA Eneloops) is about 33% Gain measured by Lux meter.

1.5D Mag SST-90, Rebel SMO IMR 26,650 DD:........................... 5 Meter Lux: 1350:...................1 Meter Lux 33,750
1.5D Mag SST-90, Rebel SMO 4xAA Eneloops DD:....................... 5 Meter Lux: 1800: ..................1 Meter Lux 45,000

Note, the Deep Rebel SMO is another key to achieve high throw number for SST-90.
With a regular shaped mag OP reflector, a SST-90 26650 DD would get somewhere around 18,000-24,000 lux range @ 1 meter.

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened
Human Eyes are not the best instrument on judging brightness differences, especially during over exposure situations.
The pupil dilate or contract to maintain & regulate the light coming into the eyes, when it get to certain brightness,
you won't be able to see the difference as your eyes have decided that they no longer want to "see" anymore photons.
But when you are trying to test the throw limit, the light at a long distance is not that bright, your eyes will see a big difference on which one throws further.

The difference between IMR 26650 DD vs. Driving to 8 Amp (4xAA Eneloops) is about 33% Gain measured by Lux meter.

1.5D Mag SST-90, Rebel SMO IMR 26,650 DD:........................... 5 Meter Lux: 1350:...................1 Meter Lux 33,750
1.5D Mag SST-90, Rebel SMO 4xAA Eneloops DD:....................... 5 Meter Lux: 1800: ..................1 Meter Lux 45,000

Note, the Deep Rebel SMO is another key to achieve high throw number for SST-90.
With a regular shaped mag OP reflector, a SST-90 26650 DD would get somewhere around 18,000-24,000 lux range @ 1 meter.
This is true. My SST-90 DD(4A in a Surefire 6P) didn't seem bright up close, but when I was standing on the 23rd floor shining it down on an empty parking lot, I got a REAL taste of how bright it was.

overdog

Enlightened
@ma_sha1: your measurements are facts- I have no equipment therefore.
For sure the SST-90 is brighter at 9Ah than at 5, what I thought about is, that it seems to me, that the emitter has its best performance at about 5-6Ah refering to energy consumption compared to lumens OTF and heatdevelopment (oooh, my english...)- But before I forget- I am not someone who has no fun to go to the limits :naughty:...

What about "burning in" effect? I read about it on CPF, after some time Vf of the emitter should lower and then you will get more Ah´s into the light? Any experience about this? Will Alexdiver get more Ah´s after maybee 10 hours total runtime of his Mag?

best regards,
Steffen.

alexdiver

Newly Enlightened
Where can i get this deep rebel smooth reflctor you are talking about.

I enjoy the spill and the clean beam-hot spot of the britelumens op reflector but with this reflector it trows just as far as my tk40 but with a bigger hot spot, i would enjoy a tighter hot spot and more trow. !

Al Combs

Enlightened
What's your Amp meter? Do you have a Good Amp meter that could Validate the 6-7 Amp claim with confidence?
I would love to see some data with a good meter, there's just too much variation on meter use.

I believe Hack On Wheels is right about the meter's shunt effecting the results you get measuring current. When I first tested my SST-90 with DIWdiver's 10 amp CC regulator, I was getting 10.25 amps at 4.96 volts with the batteries fully charged and under load. As the batteries dropped to 4.45 volts under load, the current was only 8.2 amps. DIWdiver had said the drop out voltage of his regulator can be calculated to 0.3075 volts (0.03 ohms * 10.25 amps). The Vf of my SST-90 @ 10.25 amps is 3.88 volts. I should have stayed in regulation down to about 4.1875 volts, but didn't.

I took an old analog meter I don't use much anymore and clipped it onto the LED leads. When I removed my digital ammeter from the circuit, the voltage at the LED went up 0.2 volts. I have 18 inch long homemade 18 gauge leads I made from a blown computer power supply. But the shunt inside the meter on the unfused 10 amp scale had enough resistance to effect the results.

The cheapest way around the problem is to measure voltage across an external shunt. The better way, if you happen to have an extra 100 bucks, is to use a clamp meter. You have to get one the does AC and DC. Many of the cheap ones are only for AC current.