Suburban Animal Sighting

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
I was outside on the porch last night smoking when I heard some rustling in the leaves below. I pulled out my ARC AAA blue LED to checki it out. I thought it might be a cat that has been hanging around that I'm trying to befriend. Well it wasn't it was a possum. I watched him under the blue light for several minutes. He was grubbing around in the mulch digging for bugs. Payed no attention to me what so ever. I was able to get withen 6 to 8 feet of him. He was completly undisturbed by the light. When I finished my smoke I went inside and grabed my G2 and told my wife about the possum. She wasn't getting up to go look at it so I went back out. He was still digging away. As soon as I lit him up with the Surefire he bolted. I thought it was really cool how the Blue Led atracted no notice from him and wanted to share that for what it's worth.
Patrick Hayes

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Couple weeks ago (or 3 or 4 or 5 - damn brain!) The Dog behind me and the ones next door were going NUTS!

I grabbed my Ultra Bright rechargable lantern and lit up the back fence. There was a possum going along the top.

He wasn't a bit phased by the light....

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I'm not convinced possums are very bright creatures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I had a similar experience, went out late one night to take out the trash (always wait till after dark so I can use a flashlight!) and something was scurrying around behind the trash cans) It was a big old possum! She was rummaging around just like I wasn't shining my BB500 at her, then I pulled my MrBulk NexNeedle out and shined it's full 9v overloaded 5 watter with fresh batteries at her thinking she'd get the picture. But instead she keeps quietly wandering around and start heading right for me even though I'm waving the light and shouting at the dumb thing. At about 5 feet away, just as I was about to turn tail myself as that was too close she looked up at me, stopped and turned around.

Lights don't bother those things at all.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
This young fellow, his sister and his mom have been hanging out in the neighborhood for the last several weeks.
deersm.jpg

We have occasional bears raiding the dumpster, although it has been a few months since I've seen one. Other parts of town the bears are a daily occurence....

Coming (literally) face to face with a bear when I was taking out the trash in the middle of the night a couple of years ago caused me to buy my first Surefire and a Surge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif