DEFT questions

LED4LYF

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to buy a deft but have a few questions

1. What is the difference between the original and the FTP(I think that is what it was called?)

2. Which one is brighter and has longer throw?

3. Are the originals still being produced? If so where do I order one?

4. Is it worth trying to get an original or should I just get the FTP?

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original had a 1.6 Amp R2 LED. The FTP had a 1.4 Amp R2, but had a pre-collimater to make it brighter. They are essentially the same for throw. The brightest was the last ones built the "HO". No they are no longer made. You'll have to find a used one, and the difference in throw is not gonna be noticeable except maybe the HO. the next batch of HO's are going to be the last he'll make. I'm guessing it's gonna be under 5-6 pieces and they are $325 if you win the "first come" contest.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wanting to buy a deft but have a few questions

1. What is the difference between the original and the FTP(I think that is what it was called?)

2. Which one is brighter and has longer throw?

3. Are the originals still being produced? If so where do I order one?

4. Is it worth trying to get an original or should I just get the FTP?

The original DEFT had options for different tints. Some came with cases and diffused lenses that added some versatility. They also had an excellent thermal path with the LED either soldered or epoxied to solid copper. One of the most obvious things was the carbon fiber bezels which I must say were quite beautiful. They were very well balanced in the hand due to the lightness of the carbon fiber. The Enthusiast version(original) also all had glow powder around the LED(unless deleted by purchaser) that glowed quite brightly after the light was turned off. Performance varies light to light and through the production of the Enthusiast I did not test each light for it's specific lux output but they were around 150K-160K Lux. However some may have been a bit more than that still. The later ones especially.

Then came the FTP which featured a new shock resistant bezel in place of the carbon fiber. A change in the drivers started with the FTPs where the bulk of the power did not run through the switch. That made for a more reliable switch. In the interests of keeping costs down the LEDs were mounted to MCPCBs which also meant a reduction in allowable current. The FTP ran at 1.4A. The only options ever offered on the FTP was a few neutral white versions. Lux performance was in the 135K range.

Then there was a very few FTP bodied high output models that used the old, more powerful, drivers and the LEDs were also mounted directly to copper again to deal with the additional current. I was using up old stock drivers for these. Not sure of the lux range on the few of these sold.

There was a lot of desire for the HO's so I set about to make a more extreme version of the HO. These have a black leather lanyard, AR coated pre-collimator, and slightly better thermal path than the prior best. These also featured a more powerful version of the FTP driver which ran at 1.7A. These are probably the most powerful made to date. The lux for these run from 175K-200K.

I have 7 more HO's to sell and then I will have 10 hybrid FTP/HO's to finish off the DEFT production. After that I am done with the DEFT.

As I look back on all the ones I made my favorite was the ones I sold to Karlthev at number 6 of the original run. Although it was not the best performing the attention to detail on those was immense. I polished the copper internal pieces to a jewel finish. It was no way to make money however and the extreme delays meant I could not do that on every light.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 7 more HO's to sell and then I will have 10 hybrid FTP/HO's to finish off the DEFT production. After that I am done with the DEFT.

Hopefully it is not a bad place to ask you this, but why are you going to stop making the DEFT? Are you going to continue to make lights or do you no longer have the time/resources?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully it is not a bad place to ask you this, but why are you going to stop making the DEFT? Are you going to continue to make lights or do you no longer have the time/resources?
It is just myself and my sister building these lights so our resources are limited. I am about to come out with a new light and we do not have the time to do both. I am also tired of dealing with overseas suppliers for parts. If we bring the DEFT back it will probably be with our own bodies instead of using a host. It would cost more for us to make them than if we bought a ready made body but at least I don't have the inconsistent supply and quality issues to worry about. There are some improvements that I have always wanted to make to the DEFT, such as a built in beam spreader, but the host we currently use will not allow for it.

I am working very hard on the new light. It will be quite unlike the DEFT though. It is a pocket light that runs on an RCR123 with a twisty. I am at an advanced stage in the design process and am working through the production methods to find what works and what doesn't. It will have a flood output in a neutral tint. There are some unique aspects to this light that will break down some preconceived notions of how lights should be built.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new light sounds promising and I hope you can find a way to make it happen with a minimal of complications like you have had with the DEFT. Thanks for the update.

DM51

Flashaholic
our resources are limited
Your dedication has been amazing, considering your working conditions. Having seen the haz-chem suit you have to wear (below) I am full of admiration that you persisted with the project:

Here is a view of what sends air into the suit.
leds274.jpg
The pipe that circulates air into the hood looks fine, and the blower looks up to the job, but I was always concerned about the position of the air intake. Could it not have been positioned in a more suitable place, especially pursuant to an injudicious meal of curried beans or similar? :green:

LOL

recDNA

Flashaholic
The original DEFT had options for different tints. Some came with cases and diffused lenses that added some versatility. They also had an excellent thermal path with the LED either soldered or epoxied to solid copper. One of the most obvious things was the carbon fiber bezels which I must say were quite beautiful. They were very well balanced in the hand due to the lightness of the carbon fiber. The Enthusiast version(original) also all had glow powder around the LED(unless deleted by purchaser) that glowed quite brightly after the light was turned off. Performance varies light to light and through the production of the Enthusiast I did not test each light for it's specific lux output but they were around 150K-160K Lux. However some may have been a bit more than that still. The later ones especially.

Then came the FTP which featured a new shock resistant bezel in place of the carbon fiber. A change in the drivers started with the FTPs where the bulk of the power did not run through the switch. That made for a more reliable switch. In the interests of keeping costs down the LEDs were mounted to MCPCBs which also meant a reduction in allowable current. The FTP ran at 1.4A. The only options ever offered on the FTP was a few neutral white versions. Lux performance was in the 135K range.

Then there was a very few FTP bodied high output models that used the old, more powerful, drivers and the LEDs were also mounted directly to copper again to deal with the additional current. I was using up old stock drivers for these. Not sure of the lux range on the few of these sold.

There was a lot of desire for the HO's so I set about to make a more extreme version of the HO. These have a black leather lanyard, AR coated pre-collimator, and slightly better thermal path than the prior best. These also featured a more powerful version of the FTP driver which ran at 1.7A. These are probably the most powerful made to date. The lux for these run from 175K-200K.

As I look back on all the ones I made my favorite was the ones I sold to Karlthev at number 6 of the original run. Although it was not the best performing the attention to detail on those was immense. I polished the copper internal pieces to a jewel finish. It was no way to make money however and the extreme delays meant I could not do that on every light.

I'm not sure I understand so let me double-check. Do you currently have a Deft for sale that also operates as a flood by unfocusing it? I know the Deft focuses but I had heard not enough to be used for anything but throw. Man, a Deft with flood sounds like the perfect flashlight!

Congrats on being the King of Throw. It must really be something to know you've built the very best (X) were (X = anything!). It must be a great feeling.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your dedication has been amazing, considering your working conditions. Having seen the haz-chem suit you have to wear (below) I am full of admiration that you persisted with the project:
I wouldn't have persisted this long if I didn't love what I do. Although I still have yet to break even there is always the dream that one day I might get rewarded for all my hard work. I have to many ideas to give up now. I'm just getting started actually. Thanks for noticing though.:thumbsup:

The pipe that circulates air into the hood looks fine, and the blower looks up to the job, but I was always concerned about the position of the air intake. Could it not have been positioned in a more suitable place, especially pursuant to an injudicious meal of curried beans or similar? :green:

LOL
Well my sister Mandy is the one that does almost all the casting now so she has the joy of using the suit. Of course the air intake is on the outside of the suit. If you let one rip you really have to worry that it is all contained on the inside of the suit.:sick2: It would actually be better if it did run through the filter first as that would completely get rid of any smell. The filter works really well.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand so let me double-check. Do you currently have a Deft for sale that also operates as a flood by unfocusing it? I know the Deft focuses but I had heard not enough to be used for anything but throw. Man, a Deft with flood sounds like the perfect flashlight!

Congrats on being the King of Throw. It must really be something to know you've built the very best (X) were (X = anything!). It must be a great feeling.
No the current DEFT cannot go from spot to flood. I had an option for a while of a diffused lens that could be inserted in the light to diffuse the beam but that is not the same as what I really want. I designed a system to change the beam from spot to flood by turning the head but due to the design of the host used for the DEFT I was never able to implement it.

I am very proud of having the longest throwing LED light. The thing that amazes me is that with the flashlight market the way it is with manufacturers one-upping each other every month my light has remained the undisputed king of throw for over two years! As of right now the closest anyone has come is still 50K lux short of the DEFT.

recDNA

Flashaholic
No the current DEFT cannot go from spot to flood. I had an option for a while of a diffused lens that could be inserted in the light to diffuse the beam but that is not the same as what I really want. I designed a system to change the beam from spot to flood by turning the head but due to the design of the host used for the DEFT I was never able to implement it.

I am very proud of having the longest throwing LED light. The thing that amazes me is that with the flashlight market the way it is with manufacturers one-upping each other every month my light has remained the undisputed king of throw for over two years! As of right now the closest anyone has come is still 50K lux short of the DEFT.

And that's why I think it would be tragic to stop building it but I understand your desire to decimate another niche. Obviously, you like a challenge!

NZ Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Hi there fellow flash light operators. Symon here from New Zealand I am looking at purchasing a DEFT X and just wanting to know the process of purchasing them etc. I have read a comment on another post that members can receive a discount..... Does anyone know how long the wait for these torches are and what the current US price of these are. Cheers Symon

Craig K

Enlightened
It is a pocket light that runs on an RCR123 with a twisty. I am at an advanced stage in the design process and am working through the production methods to find what works and what doesn't. It will have a flood output in a neutral tint. There are some unique aspects to this light that will break down some preconceived notions of how lights should be built.

This new light sounds interesting anymore news on it saab? What is its name?

melty

Newly Enlightened
Hi there fellow flash light operators. Symon here from New Zealand I am looking at purchasing a DEFT X and just wanting to know the process of purchasing them etc. I have read a comment on another post that members can receive a discount..... Does anyone know how long the wait for these torches are and what the current US price of these are. Cheers Symon

Check out the official Deft-X thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?352661-DEFT-X-OMG-Strikes-Back!!!