Direct TV box and Plasma TV cable video cable incompatibility

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hooked up new Plasma TV to Direct TV Satellite box today for a friend. Satellite box has composite, SVHS and USB (not sure if that is video related or not) outputs. TV has composite, component and HDMI inputs so the only compatibility is the composite video. The video is pretty crappy in this mode, I think old tube TV was sharper. Is there anyway to cross breed the cables so that somehow the satellite box SVHS output can connect to one of the TV's inputs? Or any other suggestions? Seems like a crappy satellite box in these modern times, I wonder if Direct TV offers a more advanced box?

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Scart?
Ideally a hdmi or component connection would be best, followed by svhs then scart then composite. You may be able to get an svhs-scart converter and also a svhs-component but to be honest sd tv output on a big shiny new plasma wont look too good, probably worse as you say than an old crt tv. What model tv is it?

Tell him to get HD and use the hdmi.

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
He should gain slightly with svhs-scart/component over using composite but its never going to look great as you say.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I think it's the standard box. So with Direct TV, you buy the box, it doesn't come with the package and you give it back when you stop the service?

I use Comcast HD, but it sounds like your friend has the standard def box:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/equipment/standard_receiver
which means you are doomed so far as quality is concerned. He needs to at least spring for the HD box and then get HDMI.

You wouldn't gain anything by converting any of those STB (set top box) outputs.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I say, I have Comcast cable, so I don't really know how DirecTV operates, or if the box is leased or not. Maybe he can upgrade to HD. Otherwise, it appears that if he sticks to the standard def. level of service, all he gets is the box with low resolution outputs. I guess the company figures standard def viewers have no need for anything better, which is basically true.

I'd think with a nice plasma TV, he'd want HD service. I suppose he should talk to DirecTV and ask. These companies often discount the price for 6 months if you threaten to change providers, too.

Oh yeah, we need to call S-VHS by the proper name in this case, S-Video! Since the STB has only composite and S-video, converting the best (S-video) of those to component (or HDMI) will still be limited by the resolution of S-video, and the converter would probably be expensive, too. I think Papalumen is right that it would be a tiny improvement, but really still a polished ... uh, dropping.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, S-Video. Lord, my mind is going way back when I somehow quoted the output S-VHS from memory. The TV is not a great one but a good deal. It's a 42" Samsung and only 720?(the lower rated one)P but it's currently only $500 at BJs ($50 off).

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
DirecTV offers free HD as of a few days ago. Why doesn't he upgrade to that? He'll get a new box that will be worthwhile to use with an HDTV.

IIRC, the eye has to be less than 3 display heights away from the TV to be able to perceive a difference in picture quality between 720p and 1080p.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys does the HDMI interface include the audio as well so you only need the one cable? I will get her either a blu-ray or upscaling DVD player to use with the TV's HDMI interface. Does the upscaling of the DVD really improve the picture or is it just a gimmick?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDMI is DVI video and digital 7.1 surround audio combined into one cable.

Don't all (or at least most) HDMI-capable DVD players upconvert? I only have one DVD player and it upconverts and it looks great, so I can't really comment on how well upconverting works.