which one of these is for keeps...

zosocpf

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I stumbled on this site after researching on this light that i have had for more than seven years I think and i had this light close by me most of the time, been soaked and dropped a lot of times but still performed well, I bought two of these before, one is for reserve but i lost it, but this one is still going strong, i think throughout the years i've used it, i only had a couple of battery changes for it...this is the light i'm talking about

I decided on purchasing a couple for reserve because I really think this truly is must have light, only to find out that it is obsolete and had been replaced by the gerber infinity. Through constant my constant research (mostly from this very informative forum) for a replacement light, and because i'm strongly decided on purchasing only a single aa type, i ended up buying several :( a nitecore d10, a nitecore ezaa, quark aa and a quark mini. I really can't help not buying a new light...(again thanks to this site)

Figured out i'm off with fewer lights, i'm planning on keeping the quark mini and letting go of the nitecore ezaa. reason for which:
- i like the 3 modes and runtime of the mini and the twist feel of it
- i like the hidden modes as well
- it's better for my car keys, because its shorter than the ezaa

Now I'm left with the quark aa and the nitecore d10, i'ts hard to decide which one to let go because i like the quark for it's moonlight mode while the d10 has no moonlight mode, i liked it because of the PD, and i feel like i'm using the d10's low mode most of the time. I can't keep both because I promised on giving my nephew one of them :)

Although I know this forum holds a lot of information, I would like to know your opinion on this especially for those who have both of these lights.

thanks, and more power!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't speak for the D10 but I do have several Quarks. You will miss the moonlight mode if you gift the Quark away, I use moonlight more than the other modes on mine.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be a tough choice for me. The D10 does have a very nice low and was my EDC for a longgg time. I now EDC the Quark mini 123 which replaced my D10 only because it's much smaller. I couldn't part with the D10 though.

Are you sure you can't keep both? :naughty:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, the CMG Infinity is still selling for nearly the full retail price used in good condition -- low output and a relatively big (and common) battery mean they run forever. A lot of people prefer said Infinity to the Gerber models, too, due to build quality.

Don't ditch it just because it's old.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF classical answer : Keep both! :D

If you really want to let one go, decide after knowing a few facts :

- On AA, the D10 is brighter
- On a 14500 (li-ion), the Quark is brighter
- The D10 may need more attention, not suitable for your nephew perhaps
- The D10 can be personnalized easily

To cut it short, the Quark is probably the best universal light, but the D10 has more class and is the better light for a flashaholic. I would never gift a Nitecore PD light as they can be capricious, so I would gift the Quark, I already have gifted some! :wave:

zosocpf

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for reviving this thread, anyway here's my update, i ended up giving away my quark aa to my brother(who's very frustrated bec of a glitch it's having now) the nitecores (ezaa and d10 sp)are also gone. and now i'm left with the quark mini, and the good ole cmg infinity :)..Seems everything should be settled when I compare myself from b4 when i started this thread(figuring out w/c one to keep).. but nooo. There's a reason I think I ended up here, i think it's because i need to grab more lights :) its hard fighting the urge to buy more :(. Now I want to buy two more lights, a headlamp and another edc as my cmg and quark mini are both attached to the house and car keys. I narrowed it down to zebralight h501 for the headlamp, but I'm still torn between zebralgiht sc50 or jetbeam1 pro. I want the sc50 for form factor and moonlight mode (something I missed from the quark reg aa), but worried about it's throw, and on the other hand I also want the jetbeam 1-pro for the feedbacks I've read about it's throw but again worried for its effiecieny and runtime...:( again i'm asking your opinions on this... thanks in advance

red02

Enlightened
Good to see a follow up, sometimes its like the people asking for help just disappear from the face of the earth.

I think you should go with the Jetbeam since they're very highly regarded quality lights. People mount them on weapons and have very good things to say about them. The Jetbeams will also likely out throw the SC* lights and your need for low will be satisfied with the H501, which is a great light in itself.

Besides it would probably more interesting to see what different companies have to offer rather than stick with just one for everything.

zosocpf

Newly Enlightened
thanks! i think i'll go for the jetbeam then. How'd you think the nitecore d10 would compare with the jetbeam? being a previous owner of a d10 and a quark aa , i am familiar with their throw and quite happy with it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks! i think i'll go for the jetbeam then. How'd you think the nitecore d10 would compare with the jetbeam? being a previous owner of a d10 and a quark aa , i am familiar with their throw and quite happy with it.

Your going to get a couple good light's the H501 to me is priceless and I use it constantly. The SC50 and Jet-I Pro are two different light's even though they share the same batterys the SC50 is a flood light and the Jet-I is mostly throw and they both do these things very well.

Let us know what you think when you get them.

red02

Enlightened

It will out throw both if its an XRE R2. Since the reflector is bigger on the Jetbeam, it should have better throw than either light which ever emitter you get. I could be wrong about the XPG though.