Any bug experts?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need help identify this bug. The other day I noticed the lower near ground leaves on my evergreen (cypress?) trees are full of some sort of bug egg, it's semi sphere and attached to the surface, maybe 2 mm in diameter. I took some and put them in a paper box for incubation and today some little bugs came out, they are 3 mm in length.

What are these, should I bother kill them?

eggz.jpg

bugds.jpg

Last edited:

entoptics

Enlightened
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread here, but I have a similar question from a couple weeks ago in the desert.

Location - Juniper desert in the interior pacific northwest, 3000'
Time - Midnight, Late May

I noticed the thing scrambling out of my campfire pit, so I'm not sure wether it was just running along the edge, or if it was a scorched wood dwelling creature (juniper and sage deadfall) coming out of the flames.

Any ideas? :thinking:

I love these pictures. Makes the iTP EOS A3 look HUGE.

Lumenz

Enlightened
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread here, but I have a similar question from a couple weeks ago in the desert.

I think you did just hijack the thread but I am going to answer your question because I know the answer to yours. (Sorry, jzmti) Yours is a potato bug, also known as a Jerusalem cricket.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need help identify this bug. The other day I noticed the lower near ground leaves on my evergreen (cypress?) trees are full of some sort of bug egg, it's semi sphere and attached to the surface, maybe 2 mm in diameter. I took some and put them in a paper box for incubation and today some little bugs came out, they are 3 mm in length.

What are these, should I bother kill them?
No idea what they are, but they do not appear to be pine beetles.

Batou00159

Enlightened
it looks to be more like a parasitic hymenoptera. which has created galls on the leaves to protect lave.
thinking.gif

not shur though but it's s start

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help, I've updated with better pictures.

The egg doesn't appears to be gall from the leaves, but a half shell stuck on pretty tight. The bug seems to be some sorts of fly/wasp from the look of the head.

Batou00159

Enlightened
more wasp than fly may i sugest you post this on (AES amature entomologists society) the image if you send it may have an ance within a few hours?

cityevader

Enlightened
They are called scale. The ants protect them in a symbiotic relationship. The scale sucks nutrients from the plant and the ants collect waste for food. You'll never kill them all, and a sizeable plant won't be affected. If on a small delicate plant, they could kill it.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife is an expert in bugs. She says there are two categories of them:

1.) Creepy crawlies that BITE, and;

2.) Smooshed

She says your bugs are the first kind.

Sorry I can't help more.

Batou00159

Enlightened
hmm throne have i been the scale of which you speek is seprate from the other insect seen here im still serching EAC records picturs that is for an ancer to the buzz bug with wings:duh2:lovecpf hope to have ancer soon jzmtl

gollum

Enlightened
They are called scale. The ants protect them in a symbiotic relationship. The scale sucks nutrients from the plant and the ants collect waste for food. You'll never kill them all, and a sizeable plant won't be affected. If on a small delicate plant, they could kill it.

city evader is right

the ants are collecting sugar,exuded by the scale insect,their waste from eating the sap from the tree

scale are bad as they can multiply and will kill off the branch or spread

the best treatment is to use pest oil or white oil,which smothers them.
if the trees or plants are important to you wash the pest oil off after 24hrs

the other pic looks like a wasp or a tiny native bee
there are tiny parasitic wasps that will lay eggs in other insects
from memory the ichmunion fly does this ,maybe look for other similar species.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some research on scales and looks like that's what they are. The fact those little wasps came out of them threw me off quite a bit.

Looks like white oil spray is schedualed for tomorrow, then pesticide for any nymph.

This garden thing is turning out to be a big pain in the butt, I just barely got slugs under control and leaf beetles are coming, now these guys...