How do you prefer a multimode flashlight ? - Poll 2

Mode cycling order

• Total voters

Tally-ho

Banned
2nd poll

1- Increasing levels
2- Decreasing levels
3- Specific order levels (specify it in the thread)

1st poll is here. (link)
Please discuss in 1st poll's thread, preferably.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have many lights compared to the majority here but of the ones I do have I must say the Quark regular head is my favorite UI. Starting in moonlight and getting brighter is ideal for my needs.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is a twisty like the Aeon, Titan or the HDS / Ra Twisty, I prefer low to high.

If it is a Clicky with 2 or 3 modes and no memory like the Surefire E1B or E1L, then I would prefer to have the option of either high to low or low to high... for daytime EDC, I prefer the light to come on in high mode because there is typically light around when I am using it and I need everything the light has... at night, I prefer the low to high option because I don't need (and often don't want) the high level.

If it is a Clicky like the Haiku with multiple levels and memory, the order does not matter at all to me.

If it is a Clicky like the Quark Tactical, then it is a near perfect UI for a 2-level light giving me the option to set the levels however I want them and allow me the option of always knowing exactly which level will be triggered by the tailcap.

Sitting at the top of my list, however, for single button interfaces, is the HDS / Ra Clicky or the Novatac 120P interface which gives me the ability to access 2 of the 4 levels at turn on and than provides me direct access to the other levels by a simple clicking sequence... I have found the interface to be the most flexible and satisfying one available with the exception of the Surefire Titan or Surefire U2A which are the best UI on the planet in my opinion.

red02

Enlightened
Voted increasing levels, but the Photon UI is just about perfect. Short-press high+ramp down, long-press low+ramp up. Otherwise low to high is the sensible way to ramp up in a non-tac light which should probably only have 1-2 levels anyway.

wow, 90% is pretty decisive with 30 for, 2 against, and 1 in the middle.

adamjh3

Newly Enlightened
I like to be able to pick what level the light comes on while it is off, a la Eagletac and Jetbeam.

I keep my Eagletacs tightened (high mode) because if there is a time when I need light and I need it thirty seconds ago, I want it to come on at full brightness. However, anytime I need a lower level of light, I will have time to switch it to a lower output before turning it on.

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally like increasing levels for my EDC lights but for some of my lights (my car light) I like a single mode at full power.

rayman

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
:)> mentioned the Titan, that ui is pure genius, esp. in a small light. Aviator's Ui is great, always starts on low, but high can always be accessed by simply pressing harder.

Photon's ui is also nice, albeit a touch slow when starting from low.

Ui is so important to a light; that filter keeps me from going crazy buying new lights all the time, since so few multi-mode lights don't require "tapping."

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all I prefer a revolving dimmer system, and therefore I chosed the Specific order levels group. Using a clicky-based mode system I prefer increasing levels. For only two modes I like changing brightness by turning the head.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wish more lights used the selector ring that is on the Surefire U2 model.

tolkaze

Enlightened
Programmable or twisty ring are the best for me, I can choose (or roughly choose) a level, and go from there.

Programmable, like NT 120, or Ra's I can have it come on low, but not the lowest, but pretty close. Not burn your eyes out at 3am, but still useable. From there, i can momentary or set to highest, or double click to medium or mid high depending on if its the EDC or the house light, or triple click to get moonlight for extended low light use.

I can normally get the light on, and set to a mode before I open my eyes, or take it out of the bag so its not a problem.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Increasing levels.

This means I start out on a low mode, and can ramp it up if i need. So I won't blind myself if low mode is all I need.

Any other method will involve a higher modes appearing before the low one, so when low is the correct level, you will have a much brighter light flashing on beforehand and being a nuisance (dazzling your eyes and ruining your night adapted vision)

Mark Mck

Newly Enlightened
I find I prefer the settings of my HDS custom twisty and the twist method of activation. The low-medium-high settings and power output of each level is just about perfect for me.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
High to low. I want my light to start on blinding bright and goes to low to conserved battery and turning down the heat.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a light is to be used from a non-flashaholic, the best order is MED-LOW-HIGH.

The ITP A3 is the best example of it. It turns on at MED level, ensuring four hours of runtime.
It is the most used level, and it comes first.

Think of the position of keys on a keyboard. They are ordered based on their frequency of use.

A "flashaholic keyboard" would have the keys ordered alphabetically?
NO way.

At the same manner, the most used level has to come first. Here on CPF there has been a fight agaist those manufacturers who, reasonably and correctly, decided to place the MED level to come first. The vocal minority won the fight and now the silent majority, me included, has to twist the head of the light twice every time, and explain to relatives and friends that they have a multi-level light that can be much brighter than a match - if they only learn how to do multiple-twist of the head (or clicks of the button) - often within a short timeframe.

I want MED-LOW-HIGH. And, possibly, get rid of Strobe, Beacon and SOS for good.

Anthony

Tally-ho

Banned
Think of the position of keys on a keyboard. They are ordered based on their frequency of use.
Interesting, but historically this specific order was not made on the basis of the frequency of use but to slow down the typists and avoid keys to block each others. Well, I don't know if it is a legend or the truth but it was told to me like this.

Anyway, it is a good idea to put first a level on the principle that it is the most used...but it is obvious that we do not use our flashlight(s) the same way. Some prefer mid level to be first based on their uses and/or preferences, some others prefer high, others low. The most used might depend on a user preference(s) or to the situations in which the flashlight is the most used. For example, think to a LEO who needs to identify someone. He will probably prefer high first. Depending on the range, he will use the hotspot for long range and spill for close range. I guess that LEOs don't care about a multimode flashlight and prefer a 1 mode. Anyway that it not the same needs and uses than for someone who use his flashlight for night hikings and prefer low or mid to not ruin his night adapted vision.

As it is not worth the price and efforts for a manufacturer to make all combinations possible (low first by default with an increasing sequence, low first with a decreasing sequence, mid first...etc) a programming feature is more user friendly, or at least a memory feature, no ?

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

csa

Enlightened
I've always preferred increasing levels. It makes little sense in my use case to blow my vision, THEN bring the brightness down. "Tactical light" is uselessly silly - if I need bright light instantly, I carry a bright single-mode flashlight for that.

Still, I love my E1B.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I like to be able to pick what level the light comes on while it is off, a la Eagletac and Jetbeam.

I keep my Eagletacs tightened (high mode) because if there is a time when I need light and I need it thirty seconds ago, I want it to come on at full brightness. However, anytime I need a lower level of light, I will have time to switch it to a lower output before turning it on.

This is my preference as well. I have two. My EDC is set for the max, and my night stand light is on the medium 60 lumens.

coclimer

Newly Enlightened
The ITP A3 is the best example of it. It turns on at MED level, ensuring four hours of runtime. It is the most used level, and it comes first.

A "flashaholic keyboard" would have the keys ordered alphabetically?
NO way.

Anthony
Hi Anthony,

It is true what Tally-oh said, "Interesting, but historically this specific order was not made on the basis of the frequency of use but to slow down the typists and avoid keys to block each others."

Just look where your "home-key" fingers rest... those 8 letters are not the most used in the English language. The most used are vowels, "e" being the most used, and "e", "u", "i", and "o" are on the row above the home-keys, with "a" under the left hand little finger! Ideally, vowels would be under your first and second fingers of both hands when resting on the home-keys... so no reaching required for the most used letters. Also, most people are right-handed, yet most of the letters used in the English language are typed with the left hand.

Latest posts