New flashlight for work (LEO) how do these sound?

THETANK

Newly Enlightened
I need a new flashlight for work. I am a police officer and have had stingers throughout my career (I work midnights). I have upgraded the head on my XT w/ the terra lux upgrade ( which I was pleased with) and have a poly stinger with a regular bulb. I was looking at purchasing a new light with a strobe function and was interested in the following:

1)Stinger LED $80
2)Lumapower LumaHunter MRV SK v1.3 $75 (batteryjunction)
3)Olight M30 $130
4) Innova T4 $115

My concerns with the light are that they are durable, bright ( at least as bright as my stinger with the terralux head), and have a good battery life. I would like to try to keep the light between 6.5 inches and 8.5 inches because it will be on my belt ( which all of the above fall into). I don't want to have to "scroll through" modes to get to what I need because time maybe of importance, but I would like a strobe for building searches. I would never use a "low mode"( < 80 lumens) .

Are these other 2 lights worth the cost difference? Keep in mind with my Stinger I already have the chargers and 4 batteries, with the other two lights I will have to purchase batteries and a charger. Would the cost increase be worth it?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd lean toward the Inova T4, or perhaps the 5.11 Light for Life - that one needs no batteries, being a sealed ultracapacitor that charges from dead flat in 90 seconds, goes up to 220+ lumens, and has the strobe you want. Runtime suffers in a single burn, but pretty much every time you get out of the car, its battery (er, capacitor) will be full.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd lean toward the Inova T4, or perhaps the 5.11 Light for Life - that one needs no batteries, being a sealed ultracapacitor that charges from dead flat in 90 seconds, goes up to 220+ lumens, and has the strobe you want. Runtime suffers in a single burn, but pretty much every time you get out of the car, its battery (er, capacitor) will be full.

The 5.11 light is too big for belt carry.

If you have the charger/batteries, stick with the Stinger LED. The new C4 models are nicely built, very bright, and should be o.k. for belt carry.

THETANK

Newly Enlightened
In regard to the strobe question:

1.Causes disorientation and blinding
2.Causes peripheral vision disabling
3.Limits the ability to get accurate fire on you

I am leaning towards it the stinger LED, however I don't like the fact that I have to scroll through modes I would like it to always come on at the middle mode. It's on the larger side 8.5 + inches.

Just about equal to the stremlight is the Lumapower. I like that you can have it so it comes on in a mode you preselect. I also like the metal body. The size (7 inches) is just about the size of my current polystinger which I like.

I am not too crazy about the 5.11 for a couple of reasons I think they feel very light, low run time, I know I will inevitabliy forget to grab it when I need it and we already have a stremlight SL20x in our cars on an in car charger.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The subject has been heavily debated on various forums - a strobe for a building search isn't especially useful, per se.

A strobe locked onto an identified suspect, however, can offer tactical benefits to the officer(s).

Even so, some people swear by a strobe, others not so much.

-Trevor

tadbik

Enlightened
As an LEO, I can recommend the Inova Inforce which is my belt carry light. It has a separate rotary dial for all the settings, it can be preset before turning on the light by touch. High is 225 lumens and it has a low that is just right for writing reports at night. It can also be rail mounted on a weapon and has a remote switch option. It also has the strobe you requested.

The only thing preventing it from being my perfect light for police work is the fact that it doesn't take 18650 rechargeables.

I really don't understand why it isn't mentioned more on CPF. A great light and forgot to mention, it's made of carbon fiber, so it's super tough too!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The major factors working against the Inforce were, I believe: Cost versus lumen output and availability.

-Trevor

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a new flashlight for work. I am a police officer and have had stingers throughout my career (I work midnights). I have upgraded the head on my XT w/ the terra lux upgrade ( which I was pleased with) and have a poly stinger with a regular bulb. I was looking at purchasing a new light with a strobe function and was interested in the following:

1)Stinger LED $80
3)Olight M30 $130
4) Innova T4 $115

My concerns with the light are that they are durable, bright ( at least as bright as my stinger with the terralux head), and have a good battery life. I would like to try to keep the light between 6.5 inches and 8.5 inches because it will be on my belt ( which all of the above fall into). I don't want to have to "scroll through" modes to get to what I need because time maybe of importance, but I would like a strobe for building searches. I would never use a "low mode"( < 80 lumens) .

Are these other 2 lights worth the cost difference? Keep in mind with my Stinger I already have the chargers and 4 batteries, with the other two lights I will have to purchase batteries and a charger. Would the cost increase be worth it?

If you don't mind, i'd like to suggest a Jetbeam M1X or Jetbeam Jet III Military for its ease of operation, with the head tightened it is on max (450 lumens for the M1X, 225 lumens for the Jet III but they are different in size and voltage), the 2nd mode (with the head loosened) is user programmable so you can set it to strobe (frequency is also programmable) or a lower mode to conserve battery life.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The major factors working against the Inforce were, I believe: Cost versus lumen output and availability.

-Trevor

What are you referring to? The new Inforce models are out with the upgraded led. I have the Inforce White led version 225 on high, 80 medium and 10 on low plus SOS and strobe mode and the SureFire 1.25" Traffic cone fits it. I've been using mine and it works very well and I'm using Tenergy Li-ion rechargeable 3.0 volt CR123's in it. FWIW I'm issued a Streamlight Stinger led and it works very well. As for scrolling through modes you only have to double click the switch for strobe no scrolling and its press and hold to change from high/medium/low. Personally I wish Streamlight would make it so you could lock the light in a mode . I use medium mode (80 lumens) the most at work (I'm a fellow LEO) on midnight shift. Also if you need more output look at the Stinger HP Led (basically a turbo head version of the Stinger led) 200 lumens on high 100 on medium and 50 on low.

Last edited:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a LEO, I would recommend a Surefire LX2. It takes 2x123 cells, long runtime, two modes, and very intuitive UI. Not to mention it's a surefire with the best warranty in the biz.

EDIT: I see you want a strobe. I would then recommend the Surefire Z2-s for you.

ToNIX

Enlightened

1)Stinger LED $80
3)Olight M30 $130
4) Innova T4 $115

As a LEO too, I was going to recommend Malkoff MD2 with M61 drop-in, high/low switch, until I read the bold part.

I would recommend you a Jetbeam Jet-III M, with Turbo (or max) and strobe pre-programmed. I never purchased this torch because the beam seems to be narrower than the TK11 from the beamshots, but I almost did :D

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you referring to? The new Inforce models are out with the upgraded led. I have the Inforce White led version 225 on high, 80 medium and 10 on low plus SOS and strobe mode and the SureFire 1.25" Traffic cone fits it. I've been using mine and it works very well and I'm using Tenergy Li-ion rechargeable 3.0 volt CR123's in it. FWIW I'm issued a Streamlight Stinger led and it works very well. As for scrolling through modes you only have to double click the switch for strobe no scrolling and its press and hold to change from high/medium/low. Personally I wish Streamlight would make it so you could lock the light in a mode . I use medium mode (80 lumens) the most at work (I'm a fellow LEO) on midnight shift. Also if you need more output look at the Stinger HP Led (basically a turbo head version of the Stinger led) 200 lumens on high 100 on medium and 50 on low.

When it first and I do mean first came out, the general reaction was luke-warm. Most of the critiques were based on the lumen output for the price. I remember posting the specs based on what I saw in the Bragg MCSS.

I haven't seen any mention the later releases - reviews, comments and so on.

-Trevor

Tally-ho

Banned
As a LEO too, I was going to recommend Malkoff MD2 with M61 drop-in, high/low switch, until I read the bold part.

I would recommend you a Jetbeam Jet-III M, with Turbo (or max) and strobe pre-programmed. I never purchased this torch because the beam seems to be narrower than the TK11 from the beamshots, but I almost did :D
Fenix TK12 XP-G.R5, head tightened = max power, head loosened = strobe. It is the preset for "hunting mode".
280 Lumens/1.5 hours claimed by manufacturer.

The Fenix TK12 XP-G.R5 has less throw but larger hotspot than the Jet-III M XR-E.R2. The Fenix TK12 XP-G.R5 will be better for indoor use.
Those two light fit perfectly on a belt. The Fenix TK12 is sold with a holster (included) but probably to soft for pulling it out quickly. It depends if it is used with the metal cigar ring or without it (that will left the threads, for the cigar ring, uncovered).

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
Fenix TK12 XP-G.R5, head tightened = max power, head loosened = strobe. It is the preset for "hunting mode".
280 Lumens/1.5 hours claimed by manufacturer.

The Fenix TK12 XP-G.R5 has less throw but larger hotspot than the Jet-III M XR-E.R2. The Fenix TK12 XP-G.R5 will be better for indoor use.
Those two light fit perfectly on a belt. The Fenix TK12 is sold with a holster (included) but probably to soft for pulling it out quickly. It depends if it is used with the metal cigar ring or without it (that will left the threads, for the cigar ring, uncovered).

True, I never thought of the TK12 (I think the TK11 is sexier... and I don't want a strobe mode) :D

THETANK

Newly Enlightened
I have had the opportunity to try the Inova and Stinger LED lights. I like the Stinger better than the Inova. I looked at the jetbeam and Fenix but don't like how I have to turn the head I would like one hand operation for switching between modes. I also think about 6.5 inches is my minimum length and 8.5 inches is my max. I need to have enough flashlight to be able to tuck under my arm if need be. I am at the point now where I have tried the Stinger LED( and am using that as a comparison to the other 2) and was wondering how the Olight M30 and LumaPower LumaHunter MRV SK v1.3 compare to it in terms of:

Reliability
Durability
Light out put ( brightness/ throw)
Light quality
Longevity
Warranty

I like the way these three lights are setup for adjusting modes, their size and the fact that at least the Lumapower and Olight are aluminum. Does one or any of them stand out as far as quality vs price goes?

Last edited:

THETANK

Newly Enlightened
Anyone, I only can get my hands on the Stinger LED and am using that as a comprison to the M30 and the Lumapower MRV. Anyone have input on the M30 vs Lumpower MRV vs Stinger LED, in terms of quality, relablity/durablity and brightness.

ToNIX

Enlightened
Anyone, I only can get my hands on the Stinger LED and am using that as a comprison to the M30 and the Lumapower MRV. Anyone have input on the M30 vs Lumpower MRV vs Stinger LED, in terms of quality, relablity/durablity and brightness.

Why only these models? Any particular reason?