Surefire 8AX alternative?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Streamlight Stinger a viable alternative to the Surefire 8AX? I thought I had read before that their beam quality was much less then that of Surefire but now have I read that they use a dimpled reflector now? Are there other rechargeable alternatives that I'm not thinking about? I did like the beam characteristics of the 8AX, fairly wide smooth beam, perfect for something that an LS light is not powerful enough for.

I bought my brother an 8AX as Christmas present last year. His and mine both have crappy batteries. Six weeks ago, Surefire promised us replacements but have not delivered. Now I read they are investigating the chargers. I've vented on the light before so I won't now but basically I have given up on it and am looking for alternatives for both my brother and myself.

mets1p

Newly Enlightened
geepondy I've read all of your previous posts and share your frustration about the 8nx battery run times. I too have had several batteries replaced by surefire and can't seem to get more than 10 minutes run time on any of the batteries. You mention that Surefire is now looking into possible problems with the charger. If you don't mind me asking where did you hear this? Have you heard anything about them replacing these defective chargers/batteries with something that actually works as advertised? I wish they would get it right because I do like the light but I feel like I've had my pockets picked. I just went to surefires web site and can't seem to locate their BB. It's been awhile since I've been there but do you have any idea what happened to it? If you should hear any additional info about this light and it's possible cures please post. Thanks

WhiteAsSnow

Newly Enlightened
Pete --
They have taken down their BB.
frown.gif

Their old one transitioned to a new owner here:
http://www.186thousand.com

There are some recent posts there about the possibly defective charger. Hope that helps.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Geepondy,

For me the key issue is reliability. In this arena, StreamLight's got it, and, from what I've read about SureFire rechargeables, they ain't.

I've never owned a SureFire rechargeable, but based on the descriptions by those who have, and my experience with rechargeables, there's no doubt in my mind that their chargers are wrecking their batteries. Descriptions of batteries that are too hot to touch when coming off the charger are indicative of way too aggressive a charge cycle. Heat is enemy #2 to a rechargeable (behind overdischarging) and if they are routinely getting their batteries this hot, that's a serious problem.

StreamLight on the other hand has no such issues that I have heard of. I routinely see guys leave their StreamLights on extended charge and still get years of service from the same battery.

So while I can't compare the beam quality or output because I haven't owned a SF, I would have to (and did) go with StreamLight for my rechargeable for the reliability.

I do hope that SF gets this issue resolved, as I would enjoy trying out a 9 series rechargeable. Looks like the perfect size for my duty belt. But until I hear of a fix to their apparent problem, $185+ is too much to gamble.

Personally I love the Stinger for a duty belt light. A really great size and feel. I also carry the UltraStinger when I know I'll be needing light, and always at night. That's one bright flashlight!

HTH,

GR

robo

Newly Enlightened
The thing that they Surefire is checking the chargers comes from the old surefire-discussion-board.....but I don´t think it is the chargers.....
for all of you 8X/8NX/8AX-users:
Just take one crappy B90 and go to a good electronics- or battery-store and let them take apart the B90, and solder together a new battery-stick out of 2400 mah Sanyo cells or similar.......I did this (by a local shop in germany, cost about 25$, B90 here is about 45$) and I get a runtime of over 50 minutes, charged with the surefire charger......40 minutes with 1800 mah cells.

robo

Newly Enlightened
Let me add that since I have my battery-problem fixed, I would prefer the 8NX over any other light. The relatively broad beam and especially the quality of the beam is simply perfect for duty-purposes, much more than the "searchlight"-like, tightly focussed beams of other lights.

mets1p

Newly Enlightened
WhiteAsSnow thanks for the update on the BB. I went over and got myself caught up on this continuing saga. Seems there really isn't any firm solutions or happy ending in site at this point. It would appear that SF has no clue as to what the problem is or it's such a minimal issue for them that they just haven't devoted a whole lottime to solve this problem. I hate to say this but if no solution is presented to us by SF and we're all out at least $100.00 or moreby some accounts has any considered legal action to force SF to rectify this issue in a timely fashion or reimburse us for the cost. I hate going down that road but it really irks me to pay good money for a product that doesn't work as advertised. Nowin all fairness to SF they are more than willing to send you all the replacement batteries you need but that is not solving the problem. I hope for us and SF this has a happy ending.

guncollector

Enlightened
Re: Surefire reported "fix"

For whomever was inquiring, I recently received information from a well-acquianted Surefire insider that the 8- & 9-series rechargeables have stopped shipping until the rechargeable battery problem can be addressed and remedied.

My own recent order for a 8AX was recently cancelled as a result of this stoppage of shipments.

Re: B90 problem links and Experimental B90-substitutes that work.

My own personal experience mirrors that of fellow CPF'er, Robo, when it comes to replacing the Sub-C's in the B90. Works great with the aftermarket, substituted Sub-C cells.

B90 battery discussion

Experimental B90 passes 10-day charge-hold test!

do *NOT* BUY a SureFire rechargeable!!! (186 thread)

Do *NOT* BUY a SureFire rechargeable!!! (CPF thread)

Help with Surefire Sub-C Transplant

Lucky #7! The X90 Frankenstick holds a charge!

Re: the 8- & 9-series "as is"

The current 8- & 9-series, even with the "bad lots" of B90 batteries are still functional if a charged B90 is used within approx. 3 days!

So, if you're an LEO or firefighter who goes "on shift" daily and replace the battery at the beginning of every shift--the 8-/9-series will work fine for you.

Current owners of 8-/9-series are advised to do the same--that is replace your the battery in your unit with a freshly-charged B90 every few days.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by guncollector:
The current 8- & 9-series, even with the "bad lots" of B90 batteries are still functional if a charged B90 is used within approx. 3 days!

So, if you're an LEO or firefighter who goes "on shift" daily and replace the battery at the beginning of every shift--the 8-/9-series will work fine for you.

Current owners of 8-/9-series are advised to do the same--that is replace your the battery in your unit with a freshly-charged B90 every few days.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Even using a freshly charged bad lot B90 only results in at best 15 minutes or so of light. If a LEO or firefighter, In my opinion not advisable to use the light under any circumstances

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought and sold my first and only SF 8X earlier this year. It never was able to approach the brightness of a P61.

I have two SF 3 cell bodies, one A19 and another on the way. A SF 3 cell body plus 2 @ A19's will hold 4 @ 4/5 A 2000 mAh NiMHs. This will drive a P60 for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or a P61 for around 45 minutes.

If you add a third A19 you can use 4@ 2700 mAh Sanyo A NiMH cells and extend your run times by another 35%.

I expect that I won't bother going longer than plus 2@ A19s

guncollector

Enlightened
geepondy writes:
Even using a freshly charged bad lot B90 only results in at best 15 minutes or so of light. If a LEO or firefighter, In my opinion not advisable to use the light under any circumstances
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmm...interesting. I've experimented and tested B90's from Lots CK-32, CK-43, CL-09, and LC-05. None of the B90's I've encountered from the above-mentioned lots had problems hot-off-the-charger, or say withing 3 days.

I'm not doubting what you're saying, as I've heard of a few B90's getting too hot too touch in the CN400 charger--just I've never experienced it in the 2 dozen or so B90's I've played with.

However, all the above-mentioned lots DO NOT hold their charge after more than 5 days or so. They rapidly lose their charge after the 3-4 day mark, to where it will only power my 9AN for about 5 sec. to 5 minutes after 1 week off the charger.

guncollector

Enlightened
Oh, BTW, my X90 (for eXperimental B90) battery--which consists of the now de rigeur replacement Sanyo 2400mAH Sub-C's--recently powered my 9AN for 35:45 after 20 DAYS off the charger!.

Now in a perfect world, this is what every Surefire distributed B90 should perform like!!

For more info, see the following thread.

nihraguk

Enlightened
i think surefire should do something about their battery suppliers. from what i've read, it seems to be a problem with bad batteries, and nothing to do with the lights themselves.

i strongly suspect that surefire's battery suppliers have been supplying old stocks of batteries to surefire. why do i say so?

recently, a friend passed me a sony discman to use after mine died of old age. it came with a rechargeable NiMH battery, and i experienced the exact same problem with that battery as the surefire B90s. i charged it, and when i tried to play the discman, it wouldn't power the discman for more than a few minutes. i asked my friend, and he hadn't used the rechargeable since he bought it. to confirm my suspicions, i took out the old NiMH battery pack that came with my old discman, that i too had not used for a year or two. it too would not hold a charge for more than a day, and would only power the discman for a few minutes at most. this battery worked fine when i first used it when i'd just gotten my old discman 4 years ago.

i don't think the problem has anything to do with the light. not sure about the charger though...but my handphone battery also gets hot if i leave it charging for too long but it still works fine.