Any info on Jetbeam M2Sv2 SMO vs Thrunite Catapult v2 SMO

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been waiting more than 4 weeks to find a comparo between the M2Sv2 SMO and the Catv2 SMO. So far the only reviews here on CPF have been individual reviews and not comparisons between the two. Both lights use the Luminous SST-50 driven at about 3.5A, and claiming 1000 MAX lumens.

The Catv2 has a suggested retail of US$159.95, while the M2Sv2 is listed at US$180. Both lights have received good and bad comments ranging from a screwed up user interface, leaking thermal grease around the emitter and reflector to lack-luster performance compared to all the hype of 1000 lumens.

What I want to know before purchasing one or the other:

a) which has the tightest beam and throws further?
b) which has the more neutral/warmer tint?

I'm more inclined to purchase the M2Sv2 because I prefer its looks to the Catapult. However the crazy UI of the first version of the M2S has really cast doubts in people's minds. The Catv2 has a really superb UI. Fully tightened head for Hi and loosened slightly for Lo, just like the fantastic M1X. Obviously the most crucial factor influencing my purchase decision would be the tightest and furthest throwing beam. What I hope to get, is a much brighter, super narrow and tight beam profile of the Solarforce Masterpiece PRO-1.

What I fear now is that this thread might go unanswered for weeks... even months... :( Who on CPF would bother to get their hands on BOTH a Catv2 SMO and M2sv2 SMO and compare the two with indoor/outdoor beamshots? :shrug:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I will probably get the Cat v2, but I am not going to update my M2S.
Comparing V1 of both lights, the M2S wins, both both loses to RRT-3. My guess is that Cat v2 will not be brighter than M2S v2, but might match it.

Cat v1 - M2S v1:
DSC_1152c.jpg
DSC_1155c.jpg

Both are from my comparison of big lights, with appendix. I will do a new comparison when I have enough new lights.

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
In my experience with both the v2 and rrt3, the cat definately wins. The rrt3's is not nearly as focused for throw, but has a great amount of spill.

Since I would think the rrt3 is superior to the m2sv2, the cat has the advantage in this matchup. One look at the m2s/rrt3's shallow reflector would tell you that it's not going to be a throw king.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The rrt3's is not nearly as focused for throw

That is not my experience, as can be seen in the beam shots I linked to in my last post. My experience with JetBeam is that they are very good at designing reflectors for throw, sometimes it might even be to much. The lights with good throw are with smooth reflector.

Last edited:

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Hkj,

That's definately not the case between my v2 and my buddies rrt3. I don't know what to tell you. I don't think the cat v1 and v2 changed much, but do you have a v2 to compare?

The rrt3 does throw, but it throws a large hotspot, which is dimmer than the v2's. A lot of the light is being thrown in the rrt3, but just too big of a hotspot to be bright at long distances.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I don't think the cat v1 and v2 changed much, but do you have a v2 to compare?

I do not have the v2 yet, but when I get it and a few other lights, I will do a new beam shot to compare them.
The pictures above is with a distance between 150 and 200 meters.

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Hkj,

If you're in southern California, I would be able to meet up with you so you can test out my v2.

Oh, sorry to the thread poster for slightly going off topic. You can't go wrong with both lights. The cat will be the better of the two for what you're looking for.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
If you're in southern California, I would be able to meet up with you so you can test out my v2.

I would like to, but I am a rather long swim away from California.

I do agree that both lights are good throwers, but I am not convinced that the Cat is a better thrower than M2S, before I have seen it.

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Haha, sorry I should have taken a look at your location!

Sounds good to me, I am eagerly awaiting your test on the lights as soon as you receive them.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that the M2Sv2 will probably be brighter than the Catv2 for the first 10mins before it automatically cuts to mid mode of ~700lumens. However max mode can be reactivated for another 10mins just by turning the light off and on again. However, the Catv2 now has a thermal sensor that shuts the light down once the head temperature reaches 120c, which in some warmer climates/seasons, could be less than 10mins running at Max mode before it automatically shuts down. The Catv2 can only be reactivated again when the head temperature goes below 120c, and for how long the light can be switched on will depend on how quickly the light takes to reach 120c again, which could be anything from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on ambient temperatures.

Flavio at BOGusa has confirmed that the M2Sv2 SMO reflector is deeper than the SMO RRT-3's, which I guess, translates to a tighter beam profile and better throw than the SMO RRT-3. I can't speak for the OP versions though.