Streamlight TRL-1 - ANYBODY know if li-ions are ok?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got this cool weapons light. Really nice beam and tint. UI is awesome as well. I'm thrilled with it.

BUT... hate gobbling up lithium primaries! Anybody know what the circuit design is on this light (buck/boost?) and if it can handle 8.4v without toasting the circuit or emitter? I want to feed it with RCR123's!

Thanks, in advance, for your kind help.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still a bit hesitant... but I guess I shouldn't be as more than one person reports using 3.7v (4.2 off the charger) RCR123's successfully with the TLR-1.

What about using Tenergy 3v LifeP04 or Tenergy 3v RCR123A li-ions.... I know the LifeP04 are a safer chemistry with 750 mAh and the RCR123 are lithium-ion with 900 mAh...

Just wondering which, if either, of these Tenergys is considered a better quality or more reliable cell than the other... for use in place of CR123 lithium primaries.

I already have standard AW 3.7v (4.2v) RCR123 li-ions, but I'm still a little hesitant to use them in this application if either of these Tenergy 3v rechargeable options is considered a good power source.

Any thoughts on using these?

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a TLR-1 that will run on 16340's without ANY problem. how about 1100 Lumens? It's one of the first TLR-1's that came out. No sense tossing it. I think it was 85 lumen IIRC?

IMG_6804.jpg

Last edited:

neoseikan

Enlightened
Just got this cool weapons light. Really nice beam and tint. UI is awesome as well. I'm thrilled with it.

BUT... hate gobbling up lithium primaries! Anybody know what the circuit design is on this light (buck/boost?) and if it can handle 8.4v without toasting the circuit or emitter? I want to feed it with RCR123's!

Thanks, in advance, for your kind help.

Hi. I just got very interested in this model too.
Is there any chance to change the head? And, is the driver in the head part?
If so, the problem can be solved.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi. I just got very interested in this model too.
Is there any chance to change the head? And, is the driver in the head part?
If so, the problem can be solved.

neoseikan... I'm surprised I haven't gone with this weapons light before. In using it I'm finding it is really indispensible. I resisted weapons mounted lights for years and now I'm a believer. It pops on and off, goes from pistol to shotgun and back so easily. Great beam, tint, and UI. Slam dunk for $100.

I have no idea if what the driver/circuit is like and would like to know more about this. DaFABRICATA has swapped LEDs on this, so he probably knows. I've sent him a PM to ask.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TLR1 and TLR2 are both 135 lumens advertised on the latest C4 version, but they have been tested at 160 or so. Throw is better than a Malkoff M60. If M60 is 6500-7000, then I would guess 8-9000 lux for the TLR's.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
kengps... the output from this light is fantastic. And I would say in the same league as the M60, but slightly more creamy tint color and the beam is amazingly clean. Transition from hotspot to spill is exceptionally even and soft and the spill is quite bright. Fantastic light!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light too, and I think it is exceptional. It shows how Streamlight clearly rates their lumen output different than most manufacturers. I have the first generation(not C4) and I think it said maybe 80 or 90 lumens on the package. It was brighter both in lux and lumens than my Fenix L2D CE which said it was 135 lumens on turbo.

Anto

Enlightened
Woah, woah, more details please!

Here's a TLR-1 that will run on 16340's without ANY problem. how about 1100 Lumens? It's one of the first TLR-1's that came out. No sense tossing it. I think it was 85 lumen IIRC?

IMG_6804.jpg

neoseikan

Enlightened
I am really interested in the 3 LED set too.
So, the original head can be opened. Right?

Hope to know the details (diameter / length if possible)

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head can be opened. It is just the lens and reflector. LED and driver are mounted to the bulkhead. The triple optic is from Luxrc. I turned the inside of my reflector out to accept the 20mm triple board.still working on the heat sink. It will mount to the bulkhead where the driver board is now. A thermal path will also be thru the old reflector. I'll put some thermal paste on it. The Heat-sink will be a tower. Almost finished. They are going to be huge sellers. They have single/3 mode at 1100 OTE, and a single mode at 1400 OTE. Link at the bottom of page.

IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content/showcase/L30/LED_engines

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
kengps... do you know if the TLR-1 circuit and LED can run without damage on two 16340 Li-ions?
In post #2 I said no. Others dissagree. Streamlight says 6V only. I only run lithium in lights I want long term reliability with anyway. No need for rechargeables in a WML. Doesn't get used that much. I like the 10 year storage life of CR123A's. You can use 3V rechargeable RCR 123 A's.

Last edited:

neoseikan

Enlightened
lux-rc really did great jobs. That's what I'd like to do.
Come on guys, see what I can do for you.