• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Should I get an Eiger in 1/2 and in Flood/Med?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't need power house lights, as I have plenty of those, but I do want a modern replacement for the Arc AAA. I want a wide floody pattern for working up close (object less than a foot away from me) or reading inside a dark car and other situations. Should I go with a Level 1 or Level 2 (the brightness of the first gen Arc AAA Premium was perfect) and how different is the flood from the medium optic compared to the wide on such low levels?

rider

Newly Enlightened
Don't need power house lights, as I have plenty of those, but I do want a modern replacement for the Arc AAA. I want a wide floody pattern for working up close (object less than a foot away from me) or reading inside a dark car and other situations. Should I go with a Level 1 or Level 2 (the brightness of the first gen Arc AAA Premium was perfect) and how different is the flood from the medium optic compared to the wide on such low levels?

I actually posted on this recently here...

and I would say that for reading in a dark car, a #1 would definitely put out enough light.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, someone mentioned that medium was still pretty floody. Emulating the CR2 Ion on low would be perfect for me.

rider

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, someone mentioned that medium was still pretty floody. Emulating the CR2 Ion on low would be perfect for me.

The medium is somewhat floody but definitely not like an Ion or even Arc AAA, etc.

The hotspot of a medium is too great for a 1' working distance, IMHO. I medium optic will look floody maybe 5' out, depending on the power level you choose.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for what Rider said! The output of the #1 is a super replacement for the old Arc - and you can always bump up the performance considerably by going to a 10440 if you choose. Of course, with a #2 you have the same 10440 option... and with either you can drop output down a mite by using a 1.2v NiMH.