KL1 vs. L1

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a E2e+KL1, among other lights, because I consider it the best compromise between brightness and runtime.
Now, I am looking at L1, because it is dimmable, and I may give up carrying a Nichia 5mm for low level illumination and very long runtime.
Both E2e+KL1 and L1 claims 5 hrs of high output, but the former is powered with 2 x 123 batteries, and the latter with only one 123 battery.

Can anybody, that own both of them, clarify me this "unresolved" issue? Same runtime, same brightness, with half of the power?

Thanks

Anthony

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The E2e claim is for 4 hours, I think, and is probable pretty accurate although I haven't left it on for that long continuously. If you read the fine print on the L1, it says "5 hours of usable light". I took it to mean the same thing, i.e., that it would be close to high output for 5 hours. WRONG!!! It puts out the rated output for 75 minutes then automatically drops out of high output into what I think is regulated low output mode. The brochure that comes with the L1 that shows the output level over time looks like a side view of a cliff after just 75 minutes. So, no, the L1 is nowhere near the brightness of the KL1 on the E2e after 75 minutes. It is about 2 lumens brighter (just perceptible to my 52 y.o. eyes) during that 75 minutes, however.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you.
I tought that by a combination of higher efficiency regulator and LS slight underdrive it was possible somehow. My ARC LS burns for two hrs on a single CR123... but is has no low mode. This is why I started to look at L1.
You are right on the KL1 it stays on high mode for four hrs and not for five as I posted.
The KL1 draws 275 mA from 6 volt, so the total input power is 1.65 W, while 1 W (or slightly more) is passed to the LS.
My KL3, on the Z3, draws 180 mA from 9 V. It is my preferred one, even if I cannot carry it on my person since it is too bulky. And KL3 puts out a much whiter light of the purple KL1, and is brighter than my ARC LS. And it lasts about 8 hrs.
Again, thanks

Anthony

Crash

Enlightened
I have a KL3 on a C3 Centurian and you're right it runs a nice long time and it is slightly brighter than the KL1. I plan on taking it on camping trips along with either a SF L4 and/or a Streamlight TL-3 (9 volt system) which is supposed to provide 85 lumens for 4 hrs. to help set up camp since I'm always doing it in the dark.

Crash

Enlightened
There is another aspect to the dual level lights. I was considering an A2 but talked myself out of it because it is susceptible to the same problem. I have been using my L1 to light my way in the house when I have to get up in the middle of the night for a bathroom run. The other night, however, I needed the high beam and it didn't work because I had depleted the battery beyond the level necessary to feed the high beam current draw. So the question is this: Is it better to work with a higher brightness and have the light drop down in intensity as the battery gets weaker so you know to replace it, or is it better to use the low intensity and find out by chance that you don't have the high beam when you need it??? I believe that I would prefer the former situation to the latter. That is why I carry both an E2e+KL1 for most work AND an L4 for high intensity work. The E2e gets the lion's share of use though.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 is a 1x123a light. Have one right here.

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/surefire_l1.htm

I consider it a low level light with the option of the higher intensity when you need it. I use mine at night all the time now and it's great. The low level light is perfect for navigating in the house and at night but you also have the higher light level when needed.

Approximate runtime for L1: 50 (Low) or 1½ (High) hours regulated, diminishing thereafter

Crash - get a good headlamp instead. Much easier to set up camp with both hands available.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles Bradshaw...Actually, it's only a 1x123 light. But it's freakin' long...as long as a 2x123! That's partly why I gave mine away.

And I specifically stated in the information box that the L1 is "powered by a single lithium battery"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who cares about L1/KL1? We got L4! And KL5,6,etc...

fc63684b.jpg

Crash

Enlightened
Quickbeam,

I've read many of your reviews before buying many of my "battery" of lights. Always enjoyed 'em. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The philosophy of our Troop is "Never do something you can get a boy to do" so it is more like I'm SUPERVISING camp set- up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif But you're right a head lamp is the way to go when you need two hands. I got a couple of "Jak-Straps" (I think that's what they're called) - elastic headbands with velcro adjustable straps so you can mount a variety of hand-held flashlights and turn the hand-held into a headlight. Those work quite well and it simplifies the battery/bulb logistical supply problem.

Additional benefit ... The boys NEVER shine their flashlights in MY eyes more than once!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
My hat is off to you, sir, teaching young men proper and respectful use of flashlights. I cannot seem to impress upon the people I occasionally camp with that aiming lights at people's eyes is rude-- even when I fire back with the A2 or M3T.

Crash

Enlightened
Quickbeam,

A few responses back I made the comment that the dual level illumination is really kind of a false promise. The high level is available with a new battery but after frequent use of the light on low beam, the high beam option disappears because there isn't enough juice left in the battery to supply it. So when you really need the high beam, you don't have the capability. The same would apply to the A2 I suppose.

Don't you think that it would be better to just have a low level light and carry a separate one for when you need the extra lumens "to reach out and touch someone?"

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crash...your response doesn't apply to the A2 because the A2 really does have dual illumination. You can use the low-light LEDs whenever you want, and use the high-beam incandescent to "reach out and touch someone" whenever too.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes, but you'd have to use the A2's LED's significantly for the bulb not to light.

I see your point - but I belive people will understand that even with regulation of the L1 and A2, using the low output will mean shortening the main beam runtime.

In practical experience I've never had this happen to me where the A2's beam won't light after using the LED's a lot.
Perhaps the difference in battery drain between the outputs of the A2 makes this of little concern in practical application in general use?

Al

Crash

Enlightened
I guess there is a big difference between the current drain and the current reserve between the 3 small LEDs in the 2 cell A2 and the low power setting on the single cell L1 with the luxeon.

I am rather disappointed in the performance of the L1, I must admit. I have 4 E2e's with a KL1 bezel for each, an L4, and a C3 plus a KL3 bezel to go with it and I couldn't be more pleased. Nonetheless, Surefire didn't do a good job explaining what "five hours of usable light" means. They explain it in the operating manual but nowhere in their catalog or web site.

Someone else said that they really like the L1 on low for navigating around the house and I agree. However, having lived with the light for a while, I now know that unless I have just put in a fresh battery, the promise of a high beam is pretty much like a politician's promise ... I won't expect it to be true until I see it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pahl

Enlightened
Very interesting post as I have been wondering what the differance is myself in the KL1 and the L1. I have a KL1 and really like it.

I have been wondering what the advantage would be to having a L1.

From what I have read so far and for what I use a light for I don't see the point in getting a L1.

Unless I find a good deal on one someplace /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Crash

Enlightened
I have to retract what I said about the 1.5 hour high-beam run time not being in Surefire's literature. It was there in the catalog and I missed it. The KL1 on an E2e is still my favorite for my normal needs - a pleasing amount of light for a fairly long time in a small package. I do also carry a L4 for when I need REALLY bright light.