Any GPS pros in here? Have a question.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I currently have a Garmin Quest that I love, but maps are no longer being updated for this unit. I always like to manually create my routes when I go on long trips using Mapsource, but since this unit is discontinued, maps are no longer being updated for it. Is there any GPS out there that is similar to the Quest that allows me to use Mapsource, City Navigator to plan my route on the PC and then upload it to the GPS. I have looked at some of the Nuvi's, but I cant tell if any of them allow this. I just don't like some of the routes that these GPS's make for me when I put in a start and end address.

Thanks for any replies.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Most of the Garmin Nuvi lines (maybe all???) allow you to upload a route that was created with external software.

When you look at the specs you want to see how many "routes" it will hold. That's garmin-speak for generated routes that are uploaded.

It's a crapshoot as to whether you will need a newer or different version of the mapping software to work with a newer GPS.

If you liked the quest, there are several models that may appeal to you, including cell phones with real GPS software built in.

Daniel

goki

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you should be able to upload custom routes with most of the Nuvi's. You'll have no problems "adjusting" with the software since it'll still be Mapsource. :)

Starlight

Enlightened
Garmin Nuvi 805 series (automobile) and 60csx (handheld) both will accept routes from mapsource on your computer. I don't know about other models.

Latest posts