Streamlight PT-2AA, reviewed by a noob

jonesing4wind

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I am a budding flashaholic. Actually, I have been a closet flashaholic for some time now, it is just hard to admit. I am a huge Fenix fan, mostly because there is a B&M store that carries a limited selection here. I have the LD20, LD10, LD05 and TK11. I also have a LED Lenser from Coast and a couple Mags (2xAA and 4xD) as well as a couple more LED lights that don't bear mentioning. Currently lusted after flashlights are the LD01 (1xAAA) and the TK20 (2xAA) and maybe one of those 900lm cheapies on DX. You can probably see from my collection that I prefer regular convenience store batteries.

The only Streamlight in my collection, until yesterday, was a nano (4xLR41). I have heard good things about them, but I was so blown away by Fenix that I thought they would not be worth the extra change, diminishing returns and all that. So yesterday, I was strolling through another B&M store that carries a limited selection of Streamlights. Anyway, I saw one that I have not heard of, not too surprising, since I am not that read-up on Streamlights models. It is the PT-2AA. It is in my price range of about $50USD so I pick it up.

Cracking it opin in the car on my way home, I notice it solves one of my biggest gripes about Fenix's design, a momentary switch that goes to Brightest first. Nice! Takes 2xAA, positive forward (toward the head) and has 3 modes accessed by quickly pressing the tailcap clicky, and in this order: Bright: 120lm, Strobe, and Low: 14lm. Now my closest comparable light is the LD20, at a claimed 180 on turbo. They are very close in brightness, to my unaided and untrained eye. This observation seems to support the many claims of SL using OTF lumens, whereas Fenix uses emitter lumens, no surprise here.

The hot spot and spill are virtually identical in size, with maybe a slightly better-defined, sharper transition from spot to spill on the SL. I also expect throw to be better because of the smooth reflector. There are more noticeable artifacts in the beam (as expected with a smooth reflector) but these are not even noticeable unless you are really looking for them.

The beam on the LD20 is quite cool, pleasing indoors. The beam on the SL is definitely warmer, although not much. I have not played with it outside much yet, so cannot comment on how it looks against a natural setting.

The low is maybe just slightly brighter than the LD20' claimed 10lm on low.

Strobe is about 1hz different than the LD20. I can't tell for sure, but think the Fenix is faster. You can see an interesting pulsing if you have them both on strobe and overlap the beams. This is the harmonic difference between the speed of flashes. Not easy on the eyes!

I think Fenix's holster is made better. Don't get me wrong, the SL holster is nice and should hold up well over years of use, but the Fenix holster seems to be thought-out better and be made with slightly better materials.

I lack any type of testing equipment, so sorry for the lack of numbers and hard data.

Overall, I am quite impressed with my newest addition and will definitely be keeping it! It eats AA's, has momentary right to brightest setting, is in a super familiar form factor, and is built well.

Actually, this was not meant to be a review, but I could not find any proper reviews on this light yet, so I hope this helps someone.

Jonesing4Wind

Last edited:

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Nice review! Thanks for explaining the interesting new UI. SL isn't clear about the mode progression on their website.

lumenal

Enlightened
Good info jonesing4wind, I saw this light and the PT-1AA at Cabelas today. Looked pretty good, but the $55 price tag seems a little steep. There are also 1 and 2 cell lithium powered lights of the same series listed on the Streamlight website. Anybody have one?

BBeard

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I had asked for info about the PT-2L but hadnt gotten any replies. I dont know why this series isnt more popular considering the price.