Which is the brightest, the JETBeam M2S or Thrunite Catapult V2 ?

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to ask a few questions to those who have both lights :

1. Does the Catapult V2 has this whine in high mode I hear about the M2S ?

2. which between the JETBeam M2S and the Catapult V2 has the brightest beam ?

3. How much much more throw does the Catapult V2 has compared to the M2S ?

4. Is the UI that much of a bother on the M2S ?

Thanks a lot

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
LOL that's my luck, just as I've set my mind on either the Thrunite Catapult V2 or the JETBeam M2S, I find that there's no existing comparison :laughing:

Oh brother.....

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Chip,

You could go back and forth on these two lights and still not have an answer after a week. Here's something to help you decide.

Both lights have fixed the problems on the v1's. The catapult no longer leaks fluid. The m2s now has a proper working UI.

You wouldn't be able to tell any difference in output. But one thing that truly separates them will be the beam profile. If you need a light for outdoor medium distance use, get the m2s. If you need long range spotting, get the catapult.

They both are great lights with excellent build quality. Decide on what you're gonna use it for and your choice is easy.

Oh and the cat doesn't have a mcu, so there's no reason to emit inductor whine. Speaking to David at goinggear, the m2s does have whine at levels under max, some units more than others. So it's luck of the draw and hopefully yours isn't too loud.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
In true CPF fashion, we advise you to buy both! :laughing:

Then sell the one you do not like a week later on CPF Marketplace B/S/T. :D

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Chip,

You could go back and forth on these two lights and still not have an answer after a week. Here's something to help you decide.

Both lights have fixed the problems on the v1's. The catapult no longer leaks fluid. The m2s now has a proper working UI.

You wouldn't be able to tell any difference in output. But one thing that truly separates them will be the beam profile. If you need a light for outdoor medium distance use, get the m2s. If you need long range spotting, get the catapult.

They both are great lights with excellent build quality. Decide on what you're gonna use it for and your choice is easy.

Oh and the cat doesn't have a mcu, so there's no reason to emit inductor whine. Speaking to David at goinggear, the m2s does have whine at levels under max, some units more than others. So it's luck of the draw and hopefully yours isn't too loud.

Thanks a lot, this was enough to make up my mind--I've ordered the Catapult V2 from David at GoingGear.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
In true CPF fashion, we advise you to buy both! :laughing:

Then sell the one you do not like a week later on CPF Marketplace B/S/T. :D

Yeah LOL, this has also occured to me--for the time being though, I'll field test the Catapult V2 and who knows, may very well order the M2S later on.

I've also been drawn to EagleTac's M2XC4 a little--they seem to put out a good deal of light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have both the catapult V2 and the eagletac M2XC4 (6000K). The Catapult is noticably (but not greatly) brighter, with a somewhat larger hotspot. However, at 10" long, with a tank-like build it is a really big, somewhat cumbersome light, (especially with a tail switch, as opposed to a side switch which IMO is more practical for this configuration).

In comparison, the Eagletac with its unique side-by-side design is remarkably compact, with instant access to four different light levels, selectable from lowest to highest and highest to lowest, a nearly unique capability.

I haven't been able to throw-test the lights in this densely urban city. (My old "Urban Throw Test" technique of counting up floors on a highrise, assigning 10 ft per floor, then pacing off a known distance and computing the actual distance - diagonal using Pythagoras - is not practical at this time; maybe in a week or two).

I believe the Eagletac has a longer regulated runtime on Max, though you would have to check run tests to confirm that.

Re runtests- My personal preference is to state the regulated time, PLUS the time from the end of regulation to 50%. I wish this were the norm but I'm sure there are many members who would disagree.

These are both extremely fine long throw lights, with beams that are broad enough to be practical, as opposed to some super-long-throwers with very narrow beams.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
I have both the catapult V2 and the eagletac M2XC4 (6000K). The Catapult is noticably (but not greatly) brighter, with a somewhat larger hotspot. However, at 10" long, with a tank-like build it is a really big, somewhat cumbersome light, (especially with a tail switch, as opposed to a side switch which IMO is more practical for this configuration).

In comparison, the Eagletac with its unique side-by-side design is remarkably compact, with instant access to four different light levels, selectable from lowest to highest and highest to lowest, a nearly unique capability.

I haven't been able to throw-test the lights in this densely urban city. (My old "Urban Throw Test" technique of counting up floors on a highrise, assigning 10 ft per floor, then pacing off a known distance and computing the actual distance - diagonal using Pythagoras - is not practical at this time; maybe in a week or two).

I believe the Eagletac has a longer regulated runtime on Max, though you would have to check run tests to confirm that.

Re runtests- My personal preference is to state the regulated time, PLUS the time from the end of regulation to 50%. I wish this were the norm but I'm sure there are many members who would disagree.

These are both extremely fine long throw lights, with beams that are broad enough to be practical, as opposed to some super-long-throwers with very narrow beams.

Brightnorm

Thanks for the response--I might also get an M2XC4 later on. I kind of like the look of it, but then what makes even more sense as a possible purchase is it's powerful output and convenient rotary thumb activated switch.