Icon Solo and Link Review

ama230

Enlightened
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been a fan of icon due their great prices, simple UI, unique looks and output. They have brought a great offering to the table with their Rogue series and modus series. They have also came out with their four new offering besides the ones listed. Two are headlights which one uses 5mm leds and one that uses a single with their famous UI. Then there is the two I am going to be doing a review on with pictures: One is the caribiner style called the Icon "Link", The second is the pen style called the Icon "Solo".

Here are the general specs:

____________________________________(Icon Solo) / (Icon Link)__________________________________________

Battery type:_____________________________ AAA / AA__________________________________________________

Qty of Batteries: _______________________2x(AAA) / 1x(AA)_______________________________________________

LED Type: _________________________Seoul P9 / Cree XR-E_______________________________________________

Run time: __________________3hrs(High) 75hrs(Low) / 3hrs(High) 70hrs(Low) _________________________________

Output(Lumens): _________________16(High) 2(Low) / 50(High) 6(Low)______________________________________

Cost: __________________________________ $22.50 / $26.99______________________________________________

I had purchased these at lighthound.com as they have a great reputation, great prices and fast shipping.

Here are some pics as I have a decent camera and little photography skills so spar me there. I had wanted to get a close up of the solo but the emitter seems too small. It has a cree type die but was simply too small for my macro lens to pickup, so could someone please help me with this as there are plenty that are curious to know what this looks like.

Here is the link:
IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

Then here is the solo(this is a standard #2 pencil underneath):
IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

Then here is some comparison beam shots:

Solo Low, Link Low:
IMAG0192.jpg

Solo High, Link Low:
IMAG0194.jpg

Solo High, Link High:
IMAG0193.jpg

Solo Low, Link High:
IMAG0195.jpg

Solo High, New Photon Freedom GS High, Link Low:
IMAG0197.jpg

Solo Low, New Photon Freedom GS Low, Link Low:
IMAG0198.jpg

Then for size comparison: I have my keychain with a maratac aluminum AAA, peanut lighter, flashdrive and gerber keychain tool and nite ize keyring thing: Icon Solo (left), Newest photon freedom (middle), Icon Link (right).
IMAG0199.jpg

I had wanted to say thanks to Lighthound.com for the products which were at my expense. It had costed me a 98bucks with free shipping because i had two of each of the solo and the link. I absolutely love them and they were definately worth every penny. They are different and have great style with great quality. I run these with tenergy cells and they are more than adequate for the jobs in brightness. The solo was a little warm while the link was a cyan color which is typical for a XR-E emitter. Hope you like my review and if there are any questions and comments, please shoot away.:wave:

Thank You,
Eric Ramirez

Last edited:

ama230

Enlightened
Thanks for IDing the LED for me as I had no clue. I think I had just seen another light have the same led and forget where.

Also thanks for the kind comments:twothumbs.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for IDing the LED for me as I had no clue. I think I had just seen another light have the same led and forget where.

Also thanks for the kind comments:twothumbs.

Streamlight's Microstream and Stylus Pro and Inova's newest X1 use it.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Nice review and photo's Eric :thumbsup:

The ano' looks beautiful on both - I think I will have to order one of each!

Cheers - Pete

charlie_hng

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review with great pictures. I now EDC the Solo and night walk with Link. In terms of new design, Icon stays on top of the line:D. Now I'm waiting for the Irix.

Cheers,

ama230

Enlightened
Thanks for the awesome comments as i have to polish my camera skills and they had came out great with a camera that i had got a year ago. Its a full hd camera and camcorder with a 3" touch screen and it has an led for a light and its really bright. Thanks to ms paint i was able to re-size to fit rules on here.

The finish on both of these is really awesome as for dollar/quality is really astounding. Great job paul kim!!!:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Its really great if this post gets some to buy it as its really a great value at 20bucks.

The clicky on these is what really makes me happy!!!:p

As for the headlight, i can not wait for the review and pics. The nichia headlight looks like its going to blow away the single led one in the overall. I would like to see a nichias flashlight that can throw with the great color rendition.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
that 'link' on a Carabineer is a great idea / light.

nice lumen /runtime choices too

VERY practical light.

:candle:

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
Hola Ama230. What is the exact tube diameter of the Icon penlight in mm and is the clip fixed or removable:sssh:? Thanks.

ama230

Enlightened
Hola Ama230. What is the exact tube diameter of the Icon penlight in mm and is the clip fixed or removable:sssh:? Thanks.

the clip is non removable and the diameter is ? I have no way to measure it. its definitely thick as its built really well like the rest of the icons.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I have a link attached to my camera bag and it's a nice little light. I do find the finish on it is a bit rough and wish they had machined it to have some softer edges in certain areas.