Introduction and AAA Advice

maxotar

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! I found this forum once i started to search for quality flashlights. I had gotten tired of the cheap 5mm LED lights and Maglites i have always had. They were too big, dim and low quality. After reading much on this forum I decided to buy a Quark Mini 123 and the ITP A1 EOS SS. I couldn't decide between them so...... Buy Both right?

I loved the small size, insane output, and low cost of these lights. However, i hated the sloppy threads on the quark, lack of clip on quark, the weight of the A1, the thickness of both, and the inability to operate on alkalines in case of emergency. And most of all, i dislike the twisty interface in general.

So i have determined i want:

1. AAA light for thin-ness
  2. Compatible with Alkalines and LiIon
  3. Pocket Clip is a must
  4. Clicky (Forward clicky is a BIG plus)
Only option i've found is LiteFlux LF2XT. It has many great features but it is a little expensive. Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-On a side note, i have also bought the UltraFire WF-502B and put the 28mm DX Aspheric Lens in it. It throws really far and everyone i show it too is amazed that it was only $16. It was definitely worth the money and ill probably make a few more for family.

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

A 4sevens Preon1 with clicky (sold separately) would meet most of your criteria, but the switch is a reserve clicky. It has three different brightness levels and one of the best clips I've seen on an AAA light. Although Li-Ion batteries are not recommended for it, they will work just fine as long as you don't use the high level long enough for the flashlight to get super hot. On a Li-Ion, it can produce over 200 torch lumens. The total cost would be about $44 (shipped) with CPF discount.

entoptics

Enlightened
As far as I know, the Preon 1 is about the only thing close to your criteria, but it might be pressing your budget if the LiteFlux is on the high side.

I didn't see very many statistics on the LiteFlux when I was shopping, but it seems like a damn nice light. A bit on the large side for an AAA offering, but still slimmer than any AA. Not sure it's size warrants the loss of potency afforded a slim AA like the EOS A2 or NiteCore D10.

The Preon is voltage regulated, so be aware that it's brightness numbers are only truly relevant for the first 10 minutes.

Clicky AAA lights don't seem to be very common. Good luck with your search.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Streamlight Microstream model meets all of your requirements. I have one. It's a good light.

Last edited:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I can't find any reference to the forward clicky on the Preon 2 over at the 4sevens site. I thought they were all reverse. Can I get a link?

ledb2b

Newly Enlightened
Quark Mini 123 and the ITP A1 EOS SS, you can select one of them.
why not select the High-Powered Flashlight?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only option i've found is LiteFlux LF2XT. It has many great features but it is a little expensive. Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, there's a reason why it's called "the most advanced AAA light". ;)

Another alternative, only a tad cheaper (or less dear) is Lumapower Avenger which should meet all your 4 criteria.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can't find any reference to the forward clicky on the Preon 2 over at the 4sevens site. I thought they were all reverse. Can I get a link?

Ooops! You are correct. The Preon II has a reverse-clickie tailcap. Not a forward one. My mistake. To be honest, although I love my Preon II, I use a Preon I tailcap with it. Turns the light into a twist-only model, but works well for me. I just honestly forgot the Preon II comes standard with only a reverse-clickie. Sorry about that. :eek:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
  1. AAA light for thin-ness
  2. Compatible with Alkalines and LiIon
  3. Pocket Clip is a must
  4. Clicky (Forward clicky is a BIG plus)
I don't think you should have bought the SS A3 if you wanted something lightweight. The aluminum version weighs less than a feather (I think...) and will offer everything else the SS version has, with a lower price.

I really think you should get an aluminum iTP A3 and go ahead and pony up for the LF2XT, because you're going to buy one eventually and it'll work out better for you in the long run if you just get it now.

Just recently had a sale thread and have more than one member pestering me :)nana:) for mine, but of all the lights I have right now it's one of the ones that is not available for sale, period!

Great light to have with you at all times and you will absolutely fall in love with the CUI!

maxotar

Newly Enlightened
The Lumapower Avenger seems on the large side for an AAA light. The Preon 1 with Preon 2 clicky is a powerful option but the clicky looks too exposed, like it would come on easily.

The price of either options above is quite near the LiteFlux anyways. The loss of features is not balanced by the slightly lesser price.

I think i will buy the LF2XT. Looks like an incredible UI, it is small, has a clip, has forward clicky, can tailstand, has a great reputation and it looks pretty good too.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Microstream model meets all of your requirements. I have one. It's a good light.

+1 on the Microstream,been using mine for 3 years now,it loves Lithium batteries more than any other light I have and I swap between Eneloop and Lithium when I buy them.

pae77

Enlightened
The liteflux may seem expensive but once you have one in your hands, you will realize that it is a bargain at the current price, (if you can even find one for sale).

I don't even especially like AAA lights and yet the LF2XT quickly became my favorite light in my modest collection. The second they come out with a new single AA model, I'll be ordering one.

I think you should just get an LF2XT if they become available again. I sure don't regret getting mine.

maxotar

Newly Enlightened
I thought i would update this thread with my decision.

After realizing that the lf2xt was going to be near impossible to obtain, i decided to buy a preon 1 with a clicky.

I believe i made the right choice and am very happy with the preon, which i run on 10440's. i think the preon is a very good aaa sized light and i would recommend one to anyone for these reasons:

1. Can use NiMH, Alkaline, LiIon, and Lithiums
  2. Can be Clicky OR Twisty or both
  3. Aluminum is good for lightness and heat flow
  4. Relatively inexpensive
  5. Has strong clip
  6. Very small
  7. Can tailstand (a little unsteady with clicky, but it will)
  8. INSANELY bright on 10440
  9. Simple, logical UI
  10. Has hidden strobe/SOS modes
  11. 3 well spaced outputs
  12. Good Looking + choice of color
  13. Excellent customer service
  14. Fast Shipping
  15. Titanium optional
I was expecting to be disappointed by fact that the preon uses a reverse clicky rather than a forward, but i am not; the reverse is better for this UI and a forward might have caused me to have blinking pocket syndrome (BPS). I am betting that i would be disappointed with the output of the lf2xt, and its flimsy looking clip.

Overall i am very happy with this light, the only downside is a slight green tint on low/medium levels, on high it is not noticeable. The decision really came down to output, and availability.

This is, in my opinion, much better than, due to its thinness and battery compatibility, the mini 123 (now gifted to my mom) and the ITP A1 SS (gifted to my brother).

I cannot tell you how amazing it is to light up my entire backyard, and the neighbors, with a light as big as my index finger. Amazes me every time.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The Preon is a very nice little light and although I sold mine just recently, I bought another one within a week and have just received it today.

The Ti Preon I just received solved one complaint I had with the stock Ti unit, and that was slipperiness. Now I have one that has been stonewashed and is anodized, for a very quiet, dignified and non-slip Preon!