Question about Fenix "Frankenstein"??

bunta

Newly Enlightened
I love the size and shape of the Fenix P2D, but i hate the 6 type of outputs/modes you get. I prefer the 2 output clicks - High/Low and Momentary(soft hold).

I read that the L1T/L2T V2 heads fit perfectly on the P2D bodies. So heres the question as i am getting absolutely confused with all the different models and its capabilities and the all confusing compatibility list of the fenis line...

What i am looking for is a fenix combo flashlight that is identical(or very close to) to the shape and size of a P2D with 2 different outputs only. And i dont like the combinations that would give me a bigger head and tail than the body. CR123A only im guessing?

So the question is, which fenix flashlight can i buy to get the absolutely brightest, best spill, highest output along with a decent battery life, that is compatible with the P2D ???

thanks for helping guys...

nbp

Flashaholic
:welcome:

You could just get the L1T. That's basically what you want. I don't see the need for the P2D mix and match. 4sevens still has the L1T in stock.

However, to switch modes you have to twist the bezel. I don't think there is any Fenix light with two modes that is completely controlled by a tailswitch. You either get tailswitch/bezel twist with multimode or you get two mode with tail clicky for momentary and on/off with a bezel twist for mode changing. Or you get a twisty light where twists change modes, as in the PD10.

Hope that helps. If not, maybe I am misunderstanding the question.

EDIT:

Ok, per this post, here is a creative idea. Buy the L1T, and the spare P2D body/tailcap, and put the L1T head on the P2D body, and swap the L1T tailcap clicky guts into the P2D tailcap. Then you have a two mode, 1xCR123 powered, forward clicky light. It could work.

But with all the great lights out there, it seems like kind of a hassle. YMMV.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
^ +1

That's actually the best solution, thanks Ragiska. A heck of a lot easier than cobbling together a lego-Fenix. Although I'm kind of curious to try the other method now.....:sssh:

bunta

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the welcome.

But correct me if im wrong... isnt the L2T brighter than the L1T? If i am right,, maybe i should get L2T. Then make it shorter with a body from a different Fenix thats compatible ??? Use a different battery?

bunta

Newly Enlightened
Im sorry guys, i actually looked at the Quark. And i am actually planning on buying it... but i would like to work on a Fenix collection. Sounds corny - i know.. Im a noob and very picky and stubborn.

Any other ideas???

bunta

Newly Enlightened
If thats the case, shouldnt i just get a P2D ?

Btw, which is brightest in the Fenix between the
L2P, L2T, P2D, L2D. Arent these all the same width?

:welcome:

You could just get the L1T. That's basically what you want. I don't see the need for the P2D mix and match. 4sevens still has the L1T in stock.

However, to switch modes you have to twist the bezel. I don't think there is any Fenix light with two modes that is completely controlled by a tailswitch. You either get tailswitch/bezel twist with multimode or you get two mode with tail clicky for momentary and on/off with a bezel twist for mode changing. Or you get a twisty light where twists change modes, as in the PD10.

Hope that helps. If not, maybe I am misunderstanding the question.

EDIT:

Ok, per this post, here is a creative idea. Buy the L1T, and the spare P2D body/tailcap, and put the L1T head on the P2D body, and swap the L1T tailcap clicky guts into the P2D tailcap. Then you have a two mode, 1xCR123 powered, forward clicky light. It could work.

But with all the great lights out there, it seems like kind of a hassle. YMMV.