Bright Lights, Big Bears

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Would like input on the reactions of bears to bright lights, flashlights, strobes, lasers, etc. Any incident or anecdote would be welcome. Also any additional info on how hikers can repel bears would be greatly appreciated!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Do bears have a love for high pitch, high volume noise? If not, why not find the loudest "rape alarm" thingey?

I assume we're not trying to kill the bears.

In England, there are pyrotechnics called "Thunderflashes" or "flashbangs" which scare the screaming-heebie-jeebies out of most things. Seeing as how you can get practically anything in the US, I'm sure you could get hold of some of these.

Alastair

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Seems more and more people are being attacked and eaten by bears...I think the agressive ones have become fairly immune to trash can lid banging, screaming, and the like I suppose...I believe even air horns are becommig passe to Yogi..
..thanks for suggestion of flashbangs. I believe backpackers/ hikers would be looking for something lighter and/or smaller, dual purpose perhaps, hence my thought of a "bear-flashlight"
--but I have no idea how bears react in the wild, at night, to a sudden glare in the eyes...if lasers worked that would be ideal since they are so light weight and packable - or pocketable - of course not so effective at all in the day I guess...
do you know a source of "miniature" flashbangs??? a pocket full of firecrackers comes close, but they take time to light -- so unless you are continually smoking a stogie (like me) with which to light the things, there could be a time constraint re: charging bear...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thunderflashes are "available" to the ATC and in the Terras. It's sensible to piont out that a Thunderflash is exactly that - thundering boom and a blinding flash. Not a close-quaters device - I'd suggest you use it with the same respect you'd have for a handgranade.

I'm sorry, but I've no idea where to get them as I'm not in the ATC or the Terras...