new Preon clicky tailcap?

windmill

Newly Enlightened
I've ordered a spare Preon clicky tailcap from 4sevens and the one that arrived to me is different from the old one..

Is this a new design to prevent accidental activation?

PREVOUS CLICKY
Preon-7.jpg

NEW CLICKY
IMG_20100622_161653.jpg

IMG_20100622_161929.jpg

IMG_20100622_161736.jpg

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
Is this a new design to prevent accidental activation?
I got the new switch on a WW Preon2, and yeah, that's my best guess - they seem to be a bit harder to activate and I think the new switch is somewhat safer in a pocket or bag than the old one. Unfortunately they lost the (shaky) tailstand that they had before. Still an improvement in my opinion.

I've ordered a spare Preon clicky tailcap from 4sevens and the one that arrived to me is different from the old one..

I got an email from them about a month ago that the accessories were shipping old caps until they ran out, so maybe they've run out, at least in black, of the old switches.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
I'm pleased to see that they appear to have fixed the unintentional activation issue. Does the new tailcap action also seem smoother than the old one? I've seen some complaints on CPF that the tailcap action was gritty and that it sometimes got stuck, the Ti model in particular.

MKLight

Enlightened
I recently ordered a Preon 1 in black and a Preon 1 in Ti. I ordered clicky switches for both. The black one came with the new switch design and a black pocket clip. The Ti one came with the old style switch and the SS clip. The old style seems stronger, but in actual use, the new one is easier to operate...and probably less susceptible to accidental turn on, but I haven't had a problem with either. After swapping the insides of both switches and over lubing the Ti switch, both seem reasonably easy to use - but the black one is definitely easier. It doesn't rattle, but is kind of soft - it's like when you have a clicky pen, when the pen is recessed, the clicky switch is tight. When exposed (when you're writing with it), the clicky switch is soft - this is how the new Preon clicky switch feels...I hope that makes sense! :eek: I'm sure both have their purposes...FWIW, I've carried the black AL version more because I don't want to scratch the Ti version - although, it's getting pretty scratched up with the light use it's seen...I'm sure I can polish it back up to it's original luster fairly easily. :cool:

Take care, :twothumbs
MK

MKLight

Enlightened
I'm pleased to see that they appear to have fixed the unintentional activation issue. Does the new tailcap action also seem smoother than the old one? I've seen some complaints on CPF that the tailcap action was gritty and that it sometimes got stuck, the Ti model in particular.

CM - Yes, overall, it does seem smoother than the old one. It doesn't stick like the Ti model. I'm not sure if the Ti model will get updated...or when it will be...?

tolkaze

Enlightened
I don't particularly like the new clicky all that much. The old one works fine as is, the new doesn't give the same tactile feedback... feels spongy and light weight. Its good though, I can tell my cool lights from my warms :)

cm_mtb

Enlightened
CM - Yes, overall, it does seem smoother than the old one. It doesn't stick like the Ti model. I'm not sure if the Ti model will get updated...or when it will be...?

Thanks for the feedback; I had been hesitant to purchase a Preon due to the complaints about the old clicky.

MKLight

Enlightened
CM - you're welcome.

Tol - you're right. It doesn't feel as tactile and might feel flimsier. It "floats" more, which seems to help with not jamming. I have a Preon 2 Black and the original Ti clicky has worked well since Day 1. The Preon 1 Ti's clicky hadn't. It will be interesting to see if the Ti clicky will be updated/modified. The internals seem to be exactly the same - same rubber boot and plastic clicky. It would also be nice to see a forward clicky option...:poke:

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anybody else notice the difference in threads between the switches or was it just my imagination. I tried to put a new switch in an old body and it wouldn't go in - but I did not force it. I did not look very carefully at the two side by side and now I don't have both to compare. Are the threads the same pitch?

If not, why would they have changed?
:confused:
eala.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
FYI, the Preon head fits on the forward-clicking Stylus Pro, one of my main EDC lights now.

Just to clarify, you're still using the Stylus battery tube, correct? I ask because the bezel and battery tube on my Microstream are sealed together. I didn't know that this was not the case for the Stylus.

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Just to clarify, you're still using the Stylus battery tube, correct? I ask because the bezel and battery tube on my Microstream are sealed together. I didn't know that this was not the case for the Stylus.

Yes, same battery tube. You just need to break the glue holding the head, which I did by heating with a flame and then twisting off with grippy gloves. The mod was first reported here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179101

MKLight

Enlightened
Did anybody else notice the difference in threads between the switches or was it just my imagination. I tried to put a new switch in an old body and it wouldn't go in - but I did not force it. I did not look very carefully at the two side by side and now I don't have both to compare. Are the threads the same pitch?

If not, why would they have changed?
:confused:
eala.

I didn't notice any difference...the Ti and the Al seemed interchangeable to me...?

FYI, the Preon head fits on the forward-clicking Stylus Pro, one of my main EDC lights now.

Ahhhh...good to know...now I'm going to have to get one - I probably should have bought one a long time ago....:mecry:

Thanks! :devil:
MK

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not get my old Ti Flat tailcap on the threading of the new black Aluminum 2AAA tube at all. They were not compatible. On the other hand the flat Ti tailcap fit fine on the 1AAA black Al tube I ordered at the same time.

Also I noticed on the new clicky tailcap they did not fix the O-ring location problem. It still goes right into the threads when you screw it down even with the clip or keychain attachment in place.

You can see in the picture in the 1st post that the oring on the clicky is much further forward than the oring on the flat tailcap.

PREVOUS CLICKY
Preon-7.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Does the new tailcap's cover also rotate in place like the old ones do?

(I really hope the answer is no.)

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I put a tiny bit of dubbelsided addesive tape between the tailcap cover and the rubberboot under it. It doesn't rotate now. I did it most to reduce the little rattle there was, it worked to some degree.