What All Purpose LED AA?

btb601

Newly Enlightened
Here is the thing, I want to buy just one LED bright flashlight. For everything. Hunting, fishing, summer to snow, security and home use. Perferably AA. Compact, durable, dependable.

Is there such a critter???

In the mean time, I will continue to read. Thanks

entoptics

Enlightened
Could you elaborate on what you are willing to spend, and how comfortable you are with multi-mode user interfaces?

I've played with quite a few lights now, and am completely fine with somewhat complicated operations like double clicking and multiple clicks to cycle through modes. Other folks absolutely hate that sort of thing. Where do you fall?

If you are fine with clicky interfaces, then you cannot go wrong with a Quark AA2 (~$60), as it has 5 brightness settings which pretty much run the gambit from super dim for preserving night vision or not disturbing a nearby sleeping person to super bright for spotting stuff 100 yds away in the woods.

Another excellent option is the EagleTac P20A2 MKII (~$65). This light only has 3 modes and no very dim setting, but is simpler to operate because the modes are accessed by simply tightening or loosening the head. It is also brighter than the Quark and throws further.

Both lights are about the size of 2xAA minimag and will run for ~75 minutes on "Heart of the Sun" mode, and 10s of hours on settings similar to a 2xAA minimag brightness.

Wolf359

Enlightened
i would suggest the Fenix TK20 the warm LED penetrates foliage much better than the cooler LED's. As for durable, dependable i managed to drop mine from 30 feet up onto a concrete floor scratched the finish abit but lens didn't break and it still works perfectly.

fyrstormer

Banned
I like the Jetbeam E2S. It's a two-mode flashlight, stainless steel casing, clicky switch to turn on/off and twisty switch to change brightness. It uses a single AA battery, is comparable in length to most single-CR123 flashlights, and substantially thinner due to its narrower battery.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
No such a light exists.

I would start with a headlamp and a handheld light to cover you. The zebralight H501 is a killer headlamp and it also can be configured as a molle attachment.

If you want more than ~125 Lumens, you are going to need a 2AA sized light. 1AA lights top out at around 125 OTF.

Fortunately there are nice 1AA and 2AA lights form Fenix, 4-7, eagletac...etc... I am partial to the TK20 in the 2AA form. I don't own one personally but the times I have used/borrowed one they have not let me down.

Its always good to have a backup, in case Murphys' law should strike. The gerber UI or Rebel minimag would make suitable backups.

the ITP A series twisty lights are also great, rugged, reliable and affordable lighting tools. They are compact and lightweight too.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
A jack of all traits is master of none. Get a thrower, intermediate light, headlamp for flood.

IMO the backup can also be something like the Maratac AA which will last longer on low and be brighter at the end of its life than the GUI. I have both and the Maratac AA also starts up on nearly dead cells.

entoptics

Enlightened
No such a light exists.

A jack of all traits is master of none. Get a thrower, intermediate light, headlamp for flood.

Seriously?

I know the OP wasn't exactly crystal clear on his needs, but ONE flashlight was pretty high on the list.

Maybe the OP will chime in soon with specific needs that can't be met by one light, but till then, I think there are several lights which could be good for...

Hunting, fishing, summer to snow, security and home use. Perferably AA. Compact, durable, dependable.

I own 3 myself (iTP EOS A3, EagleTac T20C2, and NiteCore D10), and have recently used 2 others (EagleTac P20A2 and Quark AA2) for several of those indoor and outdoor tasks quite happily.

Wanna clarify your budget and needs btb601?

red02

Enlightened
Hunting/fishing - do you need spot for night hunting or flood for in-camp stuff?
Summer-snow - year-round light, pretty much anything you can think of.
Security/Home Use - prolly around 70/80lms. again spot or flood?

AAs or Li-Ions?

Wolf-eyes Defender III? not the best thrower, not the best flood for the price, so "jack of all traits, master of none"

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Seriously?

I know the OP wasn't exactly crystal clear on his needs, but ONE flashlight was pretty high on the list.

very serious.... some of the activities the OP has listed will require hands free lighting. Hence my Zebralight headlamp / molle recommendation.

If hes hunting, hes going to need a throwey light capable of rendering outdoor colors accurately. Hence the Fenix TK20 recommendation.

One is none and two is one. He should pack carry a backup of some sort. Gerber UI and Rebel mag are inexpensive and reliable enough to serve as backup duty.

btb601

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the options guys. Just looking for something that gets the job done. I don't mind clicky or care about the dollars. Until I drop it into the lake or loose.
Only thing matters it the size. It can't be to big so it can be stored on me in a holster or fanny bag or like. Also no rattling batteries.

Funny thing was, I had some Dorcys picked out and was happy with the coming purchase. Then I had to go snoop around on google and find this place.

Guess I better get to looking up some of this lights, thanks again.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you can see, there are many factors that have to be considered when it comes to a new light purchase, especially if this will be your first high quality light purchase. One thing to keep in mind is that very rarely is there one light that will perform well in numerous applications. I have pretty much all my personal lighting situations covered and now I'm up to six different lighting products!

Only thing matters it the size. It can't be to big so it can be stored on me in a holster or fanny bag or like.

When it comes to size, there are many different options in the world of AA powered lights. For example, I think that anything larger than thin 2 AA lights like the Fenix LD20 or Quark AA^2 are just too big for EDC use. The Nitecore D20 for example, while a very nice light, is just too heavy and bulky for my EDC use. That's the main reason why I never seriously considered buying one. The Fenix TK20, which I am the proud owner of, is also just too big and bulky for EDC use unless it's in my backpack or fanny pack. I wouldn't want to EDC either a D20 or TK20 in a belt holster, something that I do every single day with my LD20 and my modified Mini-Maglite without any complaints.

There are many options when it comes to AA powered lights, maybe more so than any other type of light. Just make sure to ask around before spending the big bucks on a light that may not work out for your use. You may have to just do like the rest of us and buy several lights. You have been warned! :D

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are keen to keep to the single AA format , I would suggest the iTP A2 which is available in Stainless ... Ideally you should have a backup torch too ... In that case just get another iTP A2 ... If you prefer a tiny backup then the iTP A3 is great ... Basically the same three mode levels as the iTP A2 but uses an AAA battery ... You can't go wrong with the iTP A range , see reviews on candlepowerforums.

No need to spend silly money when these are so good.

btb601

Newly Enlightened
I think I settling for the EagleTac T20C2. I know it's not AA. Have to look at reviews here first. Any thoughts? thanks again for all of your post.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'm not going to tell you what to buy. I know what I'd get but rather than try to sell you on a particular light I will list a few points that will make it a bit more possible to do many things with one light.

Go with 2AA, not too long but more importantly not so short it gets swallowed up by your hand. AA is an easy to find and cheap battery with the option to use the best rechargables for noobs, the Eneloop.

Think before you buy about how you plan to carry it, loose in pocket - clipped to pocket - holster........ Look for the feature or accessory that will help you do this. Look at a lights loaded weight, it helps to know beforehand.

Get a click switch on the rear and learn to use it, one handed operation is very handy!

Get at least 2 modes, a low and high is good.

Get something that has decent throw since you can't make up for the lack of throw if you really need it.

Get something that can use a diffuser so you can use it up close without being blinded by a hotspot.

Something with a warm or neutral tint may help you ease into LED's especially if this is going to be an outdoor use light but it is not a 100% need.

Don't get hung up on getting a huge amount of lumens on high, this is an EDC right - NOT a special use battery hog. :) Those are fun but this is not what you really need at this point.

:welcome:

Last edited: