Looking for very specific traits in an EDC

XP-G emitter
3" or less (about 76mm)
Clicky
moon mode (<1 lumen)
Real OTF max lumens >= 175

Neutral tint and/or strobe would be a plus.

I'm aware that the Quark 123 is 3.2 inches, but 3 inches is really my limit. I also know about the ZL H31, but I was wondering if there are any options for a traditional style light. Truth be told I recently got the ZL SC30, but the beam has left me feeling flat about it. For my personal preferences the hot spot is too narrow, and the spill is too large resulting in wasted lumens that aren't where I want or need them. I look at the beam on my mini 123 and wish to the heavens that it had a clicky because then it would be nearly perfect. Are my requirements too narrow?

Last edited:

andyw513

Enlightened
When it comes to EDC, my ideal light is at least a three mode LED with at least 300 OTF lumens. I want a blazing-bright mode to impress people, a low mode for actual use, and a strobe to use in hairy situations.

In all actuality, I've been carrying a E2E incandescent for a half a year now, only switching it out for an L2 with a bezel-down clip and SST-90 dropin for when I know I'll be outside after dark.

I guess with me it varies with some requirements, but the most important test it must pass is reliability. My E2E has never failed me, nor has the L2, and it's been through three different dropins in a little under a year.

strinq

Enlightened
You can do a search for this (I'm too lazy) : Someone lego-ed the mini 123 head with an ultrafire body which has a clicky. You get everything you asked for.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Let me see.
A reflector or optic will cost about 15mm,
and the LED it self, 2mm,
and the heatsink under the LED, 1mm at least.
and the driver, from 3 mm to 11mm.
supposed the spring of + polar has a 1mm min length,
then, 22mm~30mm used.
CR123? RCR123?
Let's give them 35mm at least.
So, it's 57mm~65mm,
the lens, the bezel, the tail switch, share 11mm~19mm,
a really hard mission, right?

So, you should try to use a Mule style light without optic/reflector,
or use twisty instead of clickie.

Yours, Neoseikan

ky70

Banned
The only light I can think of that meets this criteria is the zebralight H31 which is actually a headlamp but does come with a removable pocket clip.

ky70

Banned
I also know about the ZL H31, but I was wondering if there are any options for a traditional style light. Truth be told I recently got the ZL SC30, but the beam has left me feeling flat about it.
The H31 may be your closest option and keep in mind that the H31 has the XPG-R5 and the SC30 does not...so the H31 beam should be floodier with a bigger hotspot. I may order myself one today...I just have to determine can I pcoket carry this light as an EDC with the included clip.

Let me see.
A reflector or optic will cost about 15mm,
and the LED it self, 2mm,
and the heatsink under the LED, 1mm at least.
and the driver, from 3 mm to 11mm.
supposed the spring of + polar has a 1mm min length,
then, 22mm~30mm used.
CR123? RCR123?
Let's give them 35mm at least.
So, it's 57mm~65mm,
the lens, the bezel, the tail switch, share 11mm~19mm,
a really hard mission, right?

So, you should try to use a Mule style light without optic/reflector,
or use twisty instead of clickie.

Yours, Neoseikan
Thank you for the thoughtful and time consuming breakdown, it is appreciated. I'm not sure if you were aware, but the line of Zebralight flashlights saves MUCH space with a side electronic clicky. I guess I now understand that this is apparently the only way to get to such a short length (67mm).
Do you want a forward or reverse clicky? (or does it not matter?)
Do not care. The SC30 has an electronic clicky; any of the three would be fine, so long as I don't have to twist to turn it on (a twist to choose modes would be fine).
The H31 may be your closest option and keep in mind that the H31 has the XPG-R5 and the SC30 does not...so the H31 beam should be floodier with a bigger hotspot. I may order myself one today...I just have to determine can I pcoket carry this light as an EDC with the included clip.
Yep, I keep going back to that one wondering if I would be happy with the side emitter/reflector housing and the top click. The main problem I'm stuck with is that my edc, for better or worse, ends up in my mouth a lot when I need both hands. This would be kind of tricky to say the least with the H31. One extra note for you, only the cool tint comes with an XP-G; warm/neutral tint has an XP-E; I'm not sure where your interest lied on tint.

ky70

Banned
Yep, I keep going back to that one wondering if I would be happy with the side emitter/reflector housing and the top click. The main problem I'm stuck with is that my edc, for better or worse, ends up in my mouth a lot when I need both hands. This would be kind of tricky to say the least with the H31. One extra note for you, only the cool tint comes with an XP-G; warm/neutral tint has an XP-E; I'm not sure where your interest lied on tint.
that's a tough one with the mouth use consideration. I'm guessing with the pocket clip attached it may be more doable.

I actually would prefer a warm/natural tint ZL but since I want that XPG beam with reflector combo, I have to go with the cool tint version. I would actually love to have a 4sevens neutral tint with XPG, but they're not producing any single cell non-mini version of this light and I'm not dropping additional coin to buy a separate tube.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
XP-G emitter
3" or less (about 76mm)
Clicky
moon mode (<1 lumen)
Real OTF max lumens >= 175

well, it misses on the emitter, length, and OTF lumens, but I think the LRI Proton Pro is well okay not very close but maybe in the direction that you're talking about. It's certainly got a low low, and that bonus red led for night vision. I do wish they'd update it again.

I haven't seen the new Zebra flashlights - they seem similar to the proton, and might have more usable UI, but you're already familiar with those.