Maha C-9000 Question

Flatshovel

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Currently I have a LaCrosse BC-900 charger and I think It is cooking my batts. I have done plenty of reading on the proper way to charge NIMH and from what I have read it is recommend to charge at 0.5c to 1c. I have some fairly new 2250mah batts and have been charging them at 1000mah which is under the 0.5c charge rate. Checking the batts on the charger feels very hot to the touch, not warm but hot. Also the bottom of the charger is very hot as well and I don't feel comfortable with this charger. Even at charging at 700mah the batts get hot rather than staying warm. I understand that charging at a higher rate causes more heat than slow charging. Just wondering if the Maha C-9000 heats up batts like the LaCrosse? Would like to hear from users of the Maha charger to see if this is also a battery cooker. So what yo you think, sounds like to me that the LaCrosse charger is overcooking my batts and sometimes does not stop charging and tries to overcharge my batts.

Thanks,
Joey

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C9000 does not heat up most batteries when charging them, but that is partly because it provides more space around the batteries for cooling, and partly because it turns off the charge current for batteries like Eneloops a little before they reach the point where they get hot.

If you charge AA batteries at 700 mA or higher on most chargers and stop at the -dV signal in the normal way, then at the very end of charging (say the last 5 or 10 minutes) the batteries will get hot, and this is normal. If they get hot much sooner than that there is a problem. It might be the batteries are poor quality, or it might just be the BC-900 is getting too hot.

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
I have a BC700 and the charger gets hot itself. When charging 4 cells, they are cramped together as well.
The moment cells reach full charge, they will get hot and in response will drop voltage, that way the charger notices that the cell is full.
The MAHA C9000 terminates a little sooner (max 1.47V) and tops off the cell 2h at 100mA. This is safer but if you want 100% fully charged cells, you need to wait 2 more hours and even then not all cells will be 100% full.