First nice light

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
I was looking into getting a nice new light, and I've been frequenting the forums here for a very long time (at least 2 months) and I believe the new Fenix TK12 r5 is my best bet, but was concerned with the donut pattern some people were reporting (which I think was a manufacturing defect?)
I need a new tactical light (I'm an ME in the coast guard) so the forward clicky is a must, along with good throw/flood wide center beam. But I also would love to use it when I go hiking (throw down long trails, and very low mode (10 lumens) for the tent. I was wondering if anyone knows is the new SMO reflector version has fixed the issue? Or should I be looking elsewhere? I would like a fenix because of the quality and the excellent battery life and regulation, but I'm used to a coleman ~80 lumen LED right now. Any suggestions? (I'm also a survivalist if that means anything to anyone)

BTW, thanks to anyone that replies!! The community here at CPF is awesome!! If theres info about any light, it can be found here.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Jetbeam Jet-III M and the RRT-2.

They both will take an 18650 with longer runtime on high than the TK12, with the difference in output compared to the TK12 really not that great.

csa

Enlightened
Donut patterns are less manufacturing defect (for good lights) and more design decision. Occasionally lights with very bad quality control will have strong variability in that department, but not usually. Optic and reflector design is always a tradeoff. If you want a throwy light, I'd stay away from lights reputed to have center holes.

BarryG

Enlightened
I don't know about the RRT-2 but, I have the Jet III M and it throws a mile!!!! Can run on 18650, as stated above, 17670, or 2-123's. I am running mine on the 17670 'cause I had them for my Quark. it is only 2 modes but you can set one to whatever you want.

Great light:thumbsup:

P.S. Don't forget to use the discount code for 20% off at bugoutgearusa.com!!

Last edited:

Mark Mck

Newly Enlightened
The JetBeam RRT-2 is a great light. It displays excellent fit and finish and the settings are just about right for general use outdoors.

sfca

Enlightened
I was looking into getting a nice new light, and I've been frequenting the forums here for a very long time (at least 2 months) and I believe the new Fenix TK12 r5 is my best bet, but was concerned with the donut pattern some people were reporting (which I think was a manufacturing defect?)
I need a new tactical light (I'm an ME in the coast guard) so the forward clicky is a must, along with good throw/flood wide center beam. But I also would love to use it when I go hiking (throw down long trails, and very low mode (10 lumens) for the tent.

Eagletac T20C2 Mark II or Olight M20 R5 [with side switch].

Eagletac
380 lumen (300+ OTF)
60lumen
5lumen - 180+ hrs.

Olight
9 lm (150hrs)
110lm
320lm

I'd take the hi run-times quoted with a grain of salt.
Beamshots
Olight and Eagletac beamshots (there's a car in one of them)

I think it will come down to your own preference for the UI.

My preference? Surefire C2 and a P60 dual-mode drop-in. Simple, great clip, great ergonomics, combatgrip for gloves and wet hands - and readily upgradeable.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T20C2 MKII and RRT-2 are great suggestions. The T20C2 is overall brighter but the RRT-2 throws much further and the fit and finish is excellent, it's very rugged. The output selector ring is such a nice UI.

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great replies!! I looked at the raptor, which looks nice and had decent throw, but I am partial to sacrificing throw for flood for indoors. The trails I use wind quite a bit, so 200 meters is more than far enough. I like the r5 beam much more than the r2 beam, and in real life usage shots I saw on here, the donut hole was almost non existant, and I couldn't even spot it :thinking: Then there is the cost, I can get the raptor, or the tk12 with a charger and batteries for about the same amount. (I want to get a wf-139 charger with 2 AW 2600mah 18650's) The battery life seems pretty close between the raptor and the fenix, and graphs if I remember correctly said the fenix was better regulated on 18650's? I'm seriously comparing the raptor and fenix against each other at this point though. I'm welcome to more comments! :popcorn:

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot for all the suggestions and links!! These are all very nice, and many of them meet the runtime requirements, and some the high/med/low/strobe forward clicky too! So much to go over and compare! Thanks everyone! :thumbsup: You'll definitely hear again from me soon, closer to purchase time!

PS a little different topic, but how long would 2 cr123's (energizers in my case) last with everyones day to day usage? few days, or weeks? I would use them in a power outage mainly, so if anyone has used a fenix light during a power outage I would be very very interested in hearing your experience.:)

ToNIX

Enlightened
I have the TK11 R5, and the donut hole isn't a problem when used outdoor (no white wall hunting). It was my duty light until I got my hands on the Malkoff. It's a great light for throw, with usable flood/spill, but the hotspot was too bright for my duty needs.

May I suggest the Malkoff MD2 with M61 drop-in? It's currently my duty light. Good combination of throw/flood, the nicest beam ever.

sfca

Enlightened
Thanks for all the great replies!! I looked at the raptor, which looks nice and had decent throw, but I am partial to sacrificing throw for flood for indoors. The trails I use wind quite a bit, so 200 meters is more than far enough. I like the r5 beam much more than the r2 beam, and in real life usage shots I saw on here, the donut hole was almost non existant, and I couldn't even spot it :thinking: Then there is the cost,

Raptor doesn't have much flood.

Thanks alot for all the suggestions and links!! These are all very nice, and many of them meet the runtime requirements, and some the high/med/low/strobe forward clicky too! So much to go over and compare! Thanks everyone! :thumbsup: You'll definitely hear again from me soon, closer to purchase time!

PS a little different topic, but how long would 2 cr123's (energizers in my case) last with everyones day to day usage? few days, or weeks? I would use them in a power outage mainly, so if anyone has used a fenix light during a power outage I would be very very interested in hearing your experience.:)

It depends on the individual lights runtime.
You know, like some have low 20 lumens for 5 hours other 10 lumens for 30.
I mostly use high so I couldn't tell you that hahahaha!

You should mention your cost range. Lights can get very expensive...

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I think any newer LED based light will have enough throw for my purposes, so its not incredibly important. I think I'm keeping my cost of the light down to around 80 dollars, give or take a few. 10 lumens is perfect for the low level, and a mid level around 50-65 is good to me (these are two levels I know previously from headlamps, and each is perfect for their tasks.) Thanks!