FBI takes all the fun out of flying

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's right, the FBI is having another knee-jerk reaction to the fact that people can still get "improvised" weapons through security.
But don't take my word for it-- CNN page

Here's the list of things they'll want to go further digging through your bags for next time you fly 89 page long PDF listing
This is a long listing that includes many pictures and may take a while to load, so I suggest you download it and then open it.

-Jason

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swiss tech key--on the list. Real dangerous...a terrorist may try to adjust his seatback while in flight.

"Key ring knife" has pop-out scissors, a tiny blade and an led light...gimme a break...

Tool card by Tool-Logic--the blade is smaller than a pencil tip!

I'm really getting sick of this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

-Jason

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you know that in First Class, we get to eat with real silverware? So what's to stop a bad guy from running into the kitchen and grabbing one of THOSE knives? He can just get on a plane without any weapons at all, and use the utensils on the plane!

So all this nick-picking at the security gates is excessive and pointless. If there are any holes in the security, they're not going to be plugged by tightening up the security check points. Terrorists would be really dumb trying to get onto planes with weapons that way.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
HA! UsAir solved that problem by eliminating food service so you can buy a $10 sandwich! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Next thing we know, they'll be getting rid of the soda cans. Have you ever cut yourself on torn aluminum--much worse than any accidental knife slice I've ever recieved...

I did a round trip flight last week, can you tell I'm bitter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif At least they didn't hassle me about the lights.

-Jason

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can remember the innocent days when I used to pack a light and my Leatherman Wave on both domestic and international flights. I'm an engineer so I feel the need to have at least minimal toolage with me at all times. I can't help but feel that all these measures do more to infringe upon the innocent citizenry than to deter determined terrorists. Sad.

Wilkey

Tomas

Banned
Don't tell them about all the dangerous stuff already on planes, they'll figure that the best way to ship passengers will be to put them all into straightjackets so they can't get into trouble.

THEN some bright guy will come along and notice that if you just give all the passengers a shot and stack them like cordwood, you can get a lot more in the plane, and you don't need fancy seats or in-flight movies and such. No hassle at all.

Next step, take their ticket, have 'em lay in a shipping box, gas 'em, and unpack 'em at their destination. Of course for those who go to Bombay instead of Boston by accident, there will have to be a "Lost Passenger" area just like there is for lost luggage ...

Hmmmmm ... eventually, they could have passenger carousels just like big luggage carousels so whoever is meeting the traveler at their destination can claim them and pick them up. That way the 'recovery time' after arrival is someone else's worry, not the airports.

Thank goodness they haven't messed with my train travel yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

moped.gif
T_sig6.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam me up, Scotty.

Yep, that'll take care of the problem--no more airplanes--much faster, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
Even with all of the restrictions they won't stop terrorism. They might stop a single guy or a small unorganized group.
But, a large well-financed group backed by a government won't be stopped. After all, if North Korea or Iran or (insert nation or organization name here) want to kill people they probably will.
A nation that can put together a nuclear weapon can certainly create a think-tank that can find ways around the FBI's list.