I have found my old mag 5d pre 1990!

iSHINE7909

Newly Enlightened
I would like to modify it. I will need a metal reflector, glass and advice on power options as my initial lookout for lithium d cells prooved fruitless.
I would be gratefull for any help/advice.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Well the possibilities are endless. If you dont want to run on D Li-Ion's than you would have to resort to something in the 6v-7.5v range. I have an inexpensive solution, for my 5D cell Maglite I used this. You get about 1200 lumens out the front, and the thing throws like a beast. But you would have to do a bit of grinding in order for it to fit correctly. And you have to cut up the Mag switch to get the + and - leads and solder them to the + and - terminals in the drop in. Also get some narrow long strips of aluminum foil and wrap in around the drop in for better thermal conductivity. Really is not that hard if you are familiar with soldering.

Really the possibilities are infinite.

Or you could go with a single P7 Maglite; 900 lumens. ONLY if you are an experienced solderer. You would need the following

driver

P7 Heatsink

P7 LED

For more info on modding a Maglite for a P7, view this thread.

As far as the reflector goes, you can take out hte existing one and cut off the "cam" and it should be a great throwing smooth reflecor.

Last edited:

iSHINE7909

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.
I would like to go with D li-ions and get higher voltage as well as capacity. Then fit a hi incan for a massive lumen output.
The power source is the most crucial of this modification project and it must be able to cope with 9-12 amp draw.:thinking:

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
What is your goal? mega lumens? throw? flood? runtime? simple upgrade? complex build?

I think a couple of my maglites are that old too. My 3d, 2aa, 2aaa, solitaire have been with me for 15-25 years, and the wear/scratches/dings shows it!

My 3d and 2aaa received simple LED bulb swaps. Terralux was an easy choice!

I need to rebuild the solitaire and 2aa one day. They'll get LEDs just not sure which brand yet.

Malkoffdevices has a 5d Maglite bulb. Too bad its always out of stock.

hoongern

Enlightened
Agh :sick2:

Incans could have a high lumen output, but so could LED's...

I'm an LED guy, I have never played around with Incans. The hotwire Maglite mod with a pelican bulb seems to be very popular. Or the Mag85's...

Incans can hit the 2000-10000 lumen range which the LEDs still can't touch, as far as I know - correct me if I'm wrong! =D (Of course... runtime is a different story...)

But yes - if you're playing around with < 2000 lumens, then both LEDs and Incans can be considered.

I'm watching this thread - there's also a Mag 5D which I may mod :)

iSHINE7909

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all.:thumbsup:
5 4000mAh 26650 Li-Mn batteries would be great then, with max 21V attainable and a superb large capacity.
My first inkling was to go with a high incan and i want the light to have good throw/long spot with no, 'horrible black area of nothing', in the centre.
What is it with the hi drain D cells, they are not even on ebay! I found one place in the US advertising IMR 26650 that's all!

iSHINE7909

Newly Enlightened
Kaidomain & DX.

No joy. Only a 25500 listed which has an exagerated capacity and is comparable to a C cell size.

26650 3.2V 4000mAh Li-ion Rechargeable Battery SKU: S009186 has just appeared on Kaidomain but is only 3.2V not 3.7V.

Batteryspace.com have
LiFePO4 32600P (D size) Rechargeable Cell : 3.2V 3000mAh, 60A Rate, 9.6Wh (0.9).

Last edited:

iSHINE7909

Newly Enlightened
Unless you really need the super high current, the 26650 LiMiNi 4000mAh at batteryspace is probably a better cell. It's got more power in it and is cheaper.

Just looked at the specs, a few wories in there, (my build may pull 10-13 amps), but most of all the stated 6 month shelf life!
thinking.gif

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looked at the specs, a few wories in there, (my build may pull 10-13 amps), but most of all the stated 6 month shelf life!
thinking.gif
The 6 month shelf live was hashed over in the battery / electronics forum. Apparently the clarification is that its some sort of self discharge rating, not the actual life of the battery.

However, with that current draw I'd probably steer clear of them as well.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might not be able to fit 5 26650s in a 5D maglite. I know that 3 will fit in a 3D maglite with a very small spring and/or tailcap modifications, but 5 might be very close.

Also, are you planning on doing something over 180 watts? If you want a hotwire with that level of output, you will need to replace more than just the lens and reflector; the switch will have to go as well so it doesn't melt. Since your maglite is over 20 years old, the current metal maglite switch/driver assemblies night not fit properly. The Batteryspace cells are the best value in my opinion, and I would think that a 10 amp draw on 5 cells would result in a light that satisfied your needs...
However, the batteryspace cells are rated for up to 20A for short bursts, so they would probably be ok with a 13 amp load.

iSHINE7909

Newly Enlightened
You might not be able to fit 5 26650s in a 5D maglite. I know that 3 will fit in a 3D maglite with a very small spring and/or tailcap modifications, but 5 might be very close.

Also, are you planning on doing something over 180 watts? If you want a hotwire with that level of output, you will need to replace more than just the lens and reflector; the switch will have to go as well so it doesn't melt. Since your maglite is over 20 years old, the current metal maglite switch/driver assemblies night not fit properly. The Batteryspace cells are the best value in my opinion, and I would think that a 10 amp draw on 5 cells would result in a light that satisfied your needs...
However, the batteryspace cells are rated for up to 20A for short bursts, so they would probably be ok with a 13 amp load.

Thanks.
What are my options switch wise? I have heard of a Judco and of the soft start ones, ( which i may have to have), The batteries will fit but with no spring in the tailcap. It looks like i will not need any regulation for the current. I wish i could i could use a d cell lithium batt 3.7v with huge capacity that could handle the current drain . I can find neither.
1 D cell i found rated at 5500mAH turns out to be more like 3500/3600mAH in reality. What else is not true in the specs for that battery?

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know there are no IMR D cells in existence; you would either have to use 26650s or the LiFe PO4 D cells. LiCo cells won't be able to handle anywhere near 13 amps.

As for switches, you might want to look into something like this:
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-Mag-D-...ti-Brightness-for-D-Cell-Maglight_p_2921.html
It is fairly expensive, but should remove all of the heat sensitive components from the maglite, as well as give you a soft start, multiple levels, and a bi pin holder. Of course, I don't know if it will fit in your older maglite.

iSHINE7909

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know there are no IMR D cells in existence; you would either have to use 26650s or the LiFe PO4 D cells. LiCo cells won't be able to handle anywhere near 13 amps.

As for switches, you might want to look into something like this:
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-Mag-D-...ti-Brightness-for-D-Cell-Maglight_p_2921.html
It is fairly expensive, but should remove all of the heat sensitive components from the maglite, as well as give you a soft start, multiple levels, and a bi pin holder. Of course, I don't know if it will fit in your older maglite.

Thanks.
That looks like a great all in one solution for the guts of the bulid, but it is out of stock.
I have still to find a metal reflector.